Why no Gelli models?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by jasco, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jasco

jasco Member

A few years ago I obtained a small collection of cardmodels published by a company caled Gelli. I never see any of these models built, and I never hear about them in this forum. Are they out of business? My first couple of models were Gellis and I wasn't too impressed. Was it just my inexperience, or do they leave something to be desired?
  2. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Geli models are still available through PMI, last time I checked (2 or 3 weeks ago). IMHO many of the Geli designs are pretty old (I think I started building them over 30 years ago) and have not been updated. Some of the current designs by other manufacturers are much more accurate and detailed. However, there are a few aircraft that I believe are not available, especially in 1/33 scale, from other companies. I also always enjoyed building the Geli kits and they were certainly reasonably priced. Also some of the newest and "best" kits are beyond my capabilty to actually put together, Halinski being perhaps the "very best". The design is beautiful and accurate with unreal (Would that be the correct word in this context?) detail, but there are so many really teeny parts, it is beyond my geriatric vision and motor skills. I just look at the kit booklets and end up coming to grips with my personal limitations and mortality. So I am still having fun with Gelis (and others).

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  3. George

George Member

4. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Have a look at www.moduni.de. They got 65 models of this producer. Trouble with GELI is, they strongly vary in quality and they don´t feel the need to upgrade their older designs.
    For some time their Supermarine Spitfire was the only 1/33 model of it available and this one is just junk. Wrong colours, veeery simple shape, so just something for beginners. Must be something between a MK I and a MK V but you will never know.
    Same thing applies to their Beech Bonanza. Wrong contours and the like. There are better GELI´s around (especially jet fighters) but you never know what you will get.
    Guess it is understandable I keep my sticky fingers off them.

Greetings, Martin
  5. jasco

jasco Member

My first real card model was the Geli F-105 which turned out pretty well, considering I had no idea there were as many resources for me as there are. Next I tried a twin engined Dornier. It ended up in the garbage. I still have several kits with some very poor printing. The printing problems are exaggerated by the fact that I am a printer and am hyper-sensitive to quality issues. I still may try to scan one of them and "fix" in in photoshop, but I want to build models, not make silk purses out of sow's ears. BTW, how much is a euro in US $?
  6. Andreas

Andreas New Member

Hello Folks!

Check http://kartonbau-aktiv.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4848
    on the sister-forum Kartonbau.de

There is a big discussion - in german - going on with a lot of information about geli.

There is also a private homepage for Geli.

Geli models are produced by an old man (around 90 years) in Klagenfurt, Austria. He is said to produce paper models since 1947.

As he has got a lot of problems with his old printing machine, the availability of Geli models is not always the best. He also says to have 35 new models up his sleeves.

Greetings Andreas from Vienna
  7. korvette

korvette Member

please support our project for GELI Austria

Hi folks,

on kartonbau.de we start a project to support GELI Austria, because it would be very sad to loose on of the oldest cardmodel producers in Europe.

Mr Wittich is now in the early 90´s of his life and it seems to be that he isn´t interested in publishing models anymore.

To help and to support him, we wrote an open letter, stressing our support and our wish, that GELI will live in future. First of all we want to let him know, that there are a lot of people, whishing GELI models further more in future times. Most of austrian cardmodellers became familiar with cardmodeling through GELI models. It would be a shame, if these models and constructions get lost.

So please support our struggle for GELI products. Please support our supporterlist on kartonbau.de

Just add your full name at the end of the latest list shown on kartonbau.de. If you are not registered member, just let me know here and I will add your name on the list.

Here is the link for information:http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=4975

Sorry for my bad english, hoping that you understand the main facts.

Best regards,

Korvette (alias Jörg Schulze)
  8. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Please add my name to your list supporting GELI, as I have been enjoying them for around 30 years, maybe more. Also note the F-100 lead photo, that appears to be a GELI.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  9. cbg

cbg Member

hey everyone,

Howdy to the folks from kartonbau.de. I know a few of you and have also signed the letter of support. I am hopeful Jan Muller, a kartonbau translator can provide a good English translation of it at some point.

Jasco, click here http://www.xe.com/ucc/ for an online universal currency converter I use.
    Right now $1.00 US will get you .83 Euros.

p.s. Has anyone had experience with the Geli's DC-3?
  10. Mjohnson146

Mjohnson146 New Member

Gelli Models

I've purchased many of the Geli models from PMI. The jets seem to be the best since the silver finished material represents a bare aluminum structure quite well. The only one I've built is the Saab Draken:

It was certainly not like the current generation of computer designed models, but was more like an historical building experience and well worth the modest investment in time and money. I have seen the DC-3 built up. I remember it was very impressive at 1/33 scale and If I remember correctly the builder had motorized the propellers.

11. Texman

Texman Guest

Artie Bob,

The F-100 on the front page is the FiddlersGreen model, designed by Rob Carleen, built at 1/144, using Red River silver paper.

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Korvette, please also add my name to the list of supporters. There is room (and need) for all levels of models in the hobby. Although we all drool over the really complex kits, if only those were available, how many (or how very few) paper modelers would there be? I suspect a far greater percentage of Geli kits that were started got finished than is the case for Halinski kits. A beginner who successfully completes his/her first building attempt is far more likely to become hooked than one whose first attempt winds up in the trash can. And, after days of working on "serious" kits with little progress to show for it, a pause to knock off a simpler kit in just a few evenings keeps the sanity intact. To use a Nascar comparison, just how many fewer professional drivers would there be if there were no go-karts to start on? I sincerely hope the torch gets passed and the Geli line continues on.
  13. jasco

jasco Member

Korvette. Please add my name to the list supporting Geli. I would have done it on the Kartonbau website, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. Velleicht Ich werden spater schreiben auf den website. Ach! Kein umlaut!
  14. rjm

rjm Member

Hi cbg, In answering your ps, I saw a GELI DC-3
    complete with electric motorization at a convention
    in Dayton, Ohio a few years ago. I believe it was
    built by Myles Mandell. He also had a 1:1 scale
    "Osprey", (the bird not the plane). rjm
  15. korvette

korvette Member

Hello fellow supporters,

the list on kartonbau.de is closed now. The letter to Mr. Wittich, owner of GELI, was sent this morning to him, together with the list. There were 101 supporters on it. We will call Mr Wittich by phone after a while and then report to him the forums supporting GELI.

I will inform you further on about the results of our project.

best regards,