why i love trains

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---my father was a locomotive engineer on the canadian national railway.when i was a kid,my father often took my brothers and i down to the yard to see how he earned his pay.here's a picture from the mid 50's showing a group of happy kids on the front of 8550.

1803002.jpg

i had to have a model of the 8550---too bad i could'nt find some miniature kids to finish the scene

friday240206013.jpg

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Thats very cool . I'm sure if you keep looking you'll find some kids to put on the front of it.

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
other train rides

i was a kucky kid.steam was still in abundance and i remember riding e-10-a mogul #81 on the "Port Dover Granny".these engines had a Johnson bar and my father had to help me notch her up---great whistle as well.i have a few locomotives in my collection that i actually rode such as the 8550 and 81

red002.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I think the Old Man must've been comin' up front to pick the bugs outa the rad intake.
Seriously though, a nice shot that I'd not seen before. Mister nutbar was kind enough some years ago to arrange a cab ride for my son and me, although, unfortunately, not with his Dad.

Wayne

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Heck, I thought that photo was a shot of the CSX conductor training program graduation ceremony. All kidding aside, a great photo you have there, and that #81 mogul sure is sharp. Woodland scenics has started putting out a nice variety of figures, althugh I am unsure if they have kids or not. Stuart.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
Canadian National....nutbar?

Hmmmmm... ya think!?!?! sign1 :D :thumb:

Great shots! I have one of me somewhere with the CPR steam locos on excursion through Orangeville. Wish I could find it...

(Somehow though, I ended up a CN nut too!)

Andrew

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
nutbar ???

hi miles---you're right re. the cn part---my wife thinks i'm nuts,therefore the" nutbar" label

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi andrew---yes i do,but i couldn't find any cn engines to play on---you have to admit though,cp also had some beautiful locomotives as well

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I definitely agree... I saw CPR 2816 on here trip across Canada a few years back, and I was hooked. That, and the CPR connection in my home town means that I am not completely CN-oriented *gasp* ;)

I watched the videos on the re-building and inaugural trip of 2816. Incredible work, but some of the fact made me a little sad - both CNR and CPR rostered over 3,000 (yes, that's THREE THOUSAND) steamers EACH, but today all but a few are gone :( And seeing the "deadlines" in Ian Wilson's CN "Steam..." books is enough to make you :cry:

So I truly appreciate all your magnificent pictures produced in association with the good doctor. I think Andy Sperandeo wrote once "Mine is the truest form of nostalgia - the fond memory of something never experienced." Lucky for you, you were there. ;) :)

Andrew

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
thanks for all the feedback---chris,i'm the one on the right in the cab shot.standing next to me is my brother jim,then brother dan and on the left is my cousin butch(actually his name was clare,so you see why we called him butch)