Why eBay is worth it......

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CSX, Nov 4, 2005.

1. CSX

CSX Member

For those of you who are not sure about eBay, here are some nice things to know. I was browsing eBay 4 days ago, and spotted hoppers for sale by a hobbiest. He was cutting down on some of his rolling stock, so he was passing around great deals. I managed to get 4 brand new 4 bay hoppers (HO scale) from Athearn for only $17!! I also got 5 brand new 2 bay hoppers, also HO scale from Athearn for $30!! A hobby shop, or even an online store, would have these wonderful prices. It is definatly worth it to get an eBay membership. I've had mine for about 2 years now, and I never regret signing up. I have delt with 100 or more transactions, and only 1 was bad, and of couse, it was straightend out. So don't be afraid to sign up for an eBay account. :D
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I would agree, having been a member since 07/01. As both a buyer and occasional seller, I've never had any real problems that didn't iron out.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Call me gun-shy, but I don't buy or sell, and rarely visit eBay. I know people who do, and like you, are sucessful and without problems (well, at least they don't talk about them if they do have any) :rolleyes:. I've just heard too many horror stories both as buyers and sellers, to want to take the risk. An occasional thread will pop up here to that affect to confirm that. I seem to have more train gear than I need right now, and I got it the old fashion way.:D:D

I'm not putting down eBay, I'm just giving you my opinion.:wave:
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: One day, young Don Skywalker, we will have you. :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumb:
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Ahh, and may the farce be with you.:wave::wave::wave::wave:

'tis the Irish in me that makes it sound that way.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  6. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Ebay Rocks !!!!!!!! Tons of great Buys. The only thing you need to watch carefully is method of payment and the shipping and handling fees. Sometimes the S & H is ridiculously high, more than the actual Bid amount. Just my $0.02 :thumb:
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

That is one thing to watch out for. We recently had a seller booted because of their s/h. What they would do is list an item at $.01 with an s/h of $15.99. 16 bucks...fair enough for a Barbie my daughter wanted, still cheaper than Wally World. However, when it arrived, it was defective. With a guaranteed refund of the purchase price if not satisfied, guess what they tried to pull? :mad: