Why does Pepakura hate me?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by goney3, Aug 27, 2006.

1. goney3

goney3 Member

Hi Everyone,
    I decided to try and design my first model ever. I picked a fun subject (the building I work in)... it seemed easy enough, but my modeling skills and Pepakura skills are definitely novice. :(

Anywho, I got the building made up using SketchUp.

I then opened it up in Pepakura.
    As usual the model is nothing but "red lines" so I used the "Join Adjacent Isolated Edge" and got rid of 99% of them :-D
    But then I noticed that it put a red line where I really wish it didn't. Its causing the roof line to be cut in half, leaving a little trangle you have to glue in later instead of leaving it as one piece. :-(

Then I am left with this interesting development, which I can only half way understand... and the roof image doesn't seem to scale correctly.

So how do I get rid of those red lines with the roof? And what else can I do to the model to make this easier? :confused:

Here is a copy of the 3ds model: KITP.3ds (20k)
    and the HUGE pdo file: KITP.pdo (4.6 MB)
    ...why is it close to 5mb anyways? :confused:

Anywho, feel free to check out my buildings website at: http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu
    and a pdf floor plan can be located here:

It is a Michael Graves designed building.

Many thanks for your time and feedback! :)
  2. barry

barry Active Member

First remove the flaps toggle the buton

get rid of the colours turn off use colours in view drop down

untick hide lines near surface in lines configuration

select check corresponding surface in edit menu

hope this helps a bit

confusing ain't it

3. goney3

goney3 Member

Thanks barry! :)

Here's what I got following your instruction:

And you can see a bit more clearly with this "no line version" in regards to how the roof is being torn apart strangely. I think I can fix the smaller hexagon being messed up by detaching it from the model, and I might be able to clean up the "blob" in the upper corner by seperating the parts... but the roof is still driving me crazy. ;)

Many thanks! :)
  4. goney3

goney3 Member

Okay, seperated the parts...

looking better... sort of... ;)

Model here: KITP.3ds
    Hehehe, I plan to skin this with a photo texture afterwords :)
    (if I can ever figure out how to make the model first)
  5. barry

barry Active Member

pepa roof

go back to the original and make the roof line straight without the triangle. Redraw the triangle as a seperate piece. I could tell you how to do it in metaseq but I don't know 3d program you use.

select cut part in edit chop off the hexagon then use join to set the top of the remaining bit the right place

you have done very well so far

Have you unclicked the hide lines surface to off yet

6. goney3

goney3 Member

All Blue!

Thank you again Barry! :)
    I made the roof all one piece as you suggested. I also discovered that my small hexagon turret had one surface pointing the wrong way so it was being disconnected. all fixed and now all blue! :grin:

So where do I go from here?
    Just mess with which lines and faces to cut and not to cut? .... then play with tabs? ... or is there more which I don't know? (probably, seeing that this is my first try) :roll:

Ps. Why do I want to see these hidden faces again? Im confused... as always ;)
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Now put the settings back to where you started and build it (or bits of it)

Looks good so far

I show the lines to sort out which way up things are with the check sides and to mark the centre lines.

Make tabs out of scrap

Have fun

8. goney3

goney3 Member

Thanks again Barry!

Yeah, I have it all layed out and splendid looking... is there a prefered length for tabs? 5mm or 8mm etc?

Also, how would I get Pepakura to make US Letter instead of A4 paper? I saw the change size option but I don't know what the A# or B# equivelant would be. :(

I'm really excited about this... the lightbulb has finally been turned on in my head and I finally understand! :-D
    I see things around me and then ask myself "Hmm, I wonder if I can make that out of paper?!" hehehe, I love this hobby! :)

I'll be cleaning up parts of the model tonight and getting the piece number down... and then I posted another thread on how to make instructions (because I am clueless right now)... I have the photos for texturing already. I'll be using Hugin (its FREE) to stretch them to the correct "straight on" angles.

9. barry

barry Active Member

To fit paper

Print it out measure the length printed on a good long edge compare it with what you want. Go back to peakura and click the scale development to specified size ,read the numbers (top one is easiest) multiply by the proportion required.

Print out the sheet scan it back in make adjustments etc, size a new sheet as US standard move the parts onto it.

At least that's what I do

10. goney3

goney3 Member

Ok, slight update...

I now have it layed out to how I want it... well, not really.... more like "how big can I get it and still fit it on one page?" :twisted:

Now I just need to figure out perspective a bit more... I tried "Hugin" all night. The control point setup confused the living daylights out of me and I eventually gave up after a few hours, so I played around with it in Photoshop till it looked sorta correct... hmm, maybe I should rename this thread to "Why does Hugin hate me?" ;)

Anywho, you can see one of the photo textures put in place. I'll get the rest done soon... though Hugin would have made it 10 times faster if I knew how to use it. *sigh*
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

Okay, its almost 1am and I really should go to sleep... work tomorrow etc...
    Anywho, here is what I have done so far, there is A LOT more pictures to add still.... thank goodness for peer-review though. I am sure something is horribly wrong with this model (since its my first) so any constructive critisism is welcome. :)

12. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Looks good to me!
    I believe you're ready to design Mecha.
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Almost Done...,

Not so fast..., You have to build it and back annotate any errors. Photograph and show the results to everyone.., or something of that sort...,

P.S. It isn't that Hugin doesn't like you it's that you don't know enough about it yet for it to dislike you...,
  14. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Nah. He's ready. Of course some basic projects like Star Wars worker droids might be a good next step before Perfect Grade Gundams....:wink:
  15. goney3

goney3 Member

I just figured out that I did one of the roofs wrong! :shock: (it should be like the other tile roofs and not flat and grey) well, most of it anyway.

Im pretty far into texturing my finished model, what do I do now? Correct it in 3D then run the whole thing through Pepakura again? :???:

I don't want to have to redo EVERYTHING I just did :cry:
    Is there a way I could cheat and do it by hand?

I'm talking about the far right middle piece, its basically a recangle with a curve attached to it. The curve needs to stay the same, but the rectangle needs a tiled roof like the others.

Any advice would be extremely helpful... and many thanks to all for your tips and assistance already! I couldn't be able to do this without you guys! :)
  16. goney3

goney3 Member

Here is what I think I can do to fix it... does this look sort of correct? :-? I am more worried about the curved piece lineing up with the bottom piece more than anything.

Here is what everything looks like so far... I might move some tabs around still and then darken up the edges and start on the instructions. :)
    I didn't have that many pictures to work with and getting them straight from my poor hand-held camera skills didn't turn out as nice as I'd like them to.
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Like Gil said, I think it is time to build and back annotate any errors.
    At least you will know where you stand and what needs to be done to correct any mistakes.
    You are the only one here who knows what this building looks like or at least what you are trying to accomplish.

Oh, and by the way, looks pretty darn good to me, especially for a first timer!
  18. barry

barry Active Member

build a seperate roof it does not have to in one piece

Why make life difficult

19. goney3

goney3 Member

All fixed! ... well, I think? ;)
    I remade the model, then unfolded it again, but this time only copied over the one piece I needed to redo. :-D

Here are some higher-resolution ones:
    JPEG (2.7MB)
    PDF (1.5MB)

Now I need to go re-read the "how to make instructions thread" and get started on those. I think the photo-method would be best. But all I have is a camer-phone so the quality isn't up to snuff... and I still can't find that "explode model" feature in Pepakure yet. :(

Anywho, I hope to post some build-progress pics soon. I just got back from driving to LA and back so I'm a bit worn-out... oh didn't someone say once they needed pictures of something in Camarillo once? hmm, i'll have to do a search for that thread later... good night all! :)
  20. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Model looks great!

The photo from Cali would be of a 1970's era typical home with garage. Mike Hungerford and I were debating some models based on Frank Zappas' "Joe's Garage".
    Glad to see someone's paying attention. that was a while back.......