Why do you design cardmodels?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by thewoodengraver, May 21, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'd say give back but my reason may be a little strange.

I make them because I have always wanted to hold in my hand something I had created in 3D. I thought once I create something in cyberspace it stays there. Now not only can I create it in 3D but I can export it into a VERY cheap, easy to manipulate medium... paper/card.

Not possible before without the aid of expensive 3D printing machines... (which I just learnes last week my employer has access to with no cost but the machining material).
  2. Claudio

Claudio Member

I love wasting time in front of a self-illuminated cube with a lot of little lettered cubes to push over. The cube has got also several wires. One of them goes into the wall (strange); another one goes into another cube where if I put a sheet of paper, well, on the other side a second sheet of paper comes out full of colors.
    All of this likes me and I like to share it with friends and (why not) to sell to others.
    Out there there are tons of free models but unluckly that is too big, that one is too little, that is too whatever. So the best thing is trying to create your own model, but the effort is so huge (for me) that then I hope to have made something that someone else could appreciate.

So, a good mix of the above answers.

3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The question for me is... Why I DO NOT design?

Everyone talks about it as a fun endeavor.

Maybe later... too much to build.
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

A Nimitz would be just a tad over the top, but how about a Majestic Light Fleet Carrier??? ;-)

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I take a stab at designing every once in awhile, and it does teach me humility if naught else. Repaints though are within my limited talents, and I do admit to doing them in the first line for myself.

6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I have a new respect for designers, even the simplest toy. Too many believe that with software you can " click here" and produce a cardmodel. And then they call us selfish for pulling downloads, as though we design for their approval or for popularity.

So, I will contrinue to design tiny, with no tabs, with no instructions. And I will continue to share with friends for the amount of time I feel appreciated.

Kudos if you design.

BOO if you aren't EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for every creation you downloaded free. (no, I'm not talking about my toys)(don't care).
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Exactly... Often people don't realize the length designers went to design a model...
  8. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I was writing science fiction and needed to know how the things in the story work. I needed to visualize clearly. first, I tried drawing pictures, but I couldn't move the parts in the pictures. Then I tried drawing on the computer but I still couldn't move the parts or shift the prespective much. I had to model the things in real dimensions to see how they work. I suppose I could have used a 3-d modeling program, but I like to be able to touch my models.
    I picked paper because I can get fast repeatable results. If the model isn't right, it's cheap and easy to rebuild it. As a bonus I've found out that showing people models is the best way to get them to give me information on how things work. I suppose a model is worth a thousand pictures. Guess that means a model is worth a million words.

9. airbob

airbob Member

Well put.....very eloquent....I've never thought of it in that perspective....NOW I know why I just love designing and building these things!!! Thank you!:)
  10. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

I design primarily for myself. The aircraft that I choose to design are ones that appeal to me and if I am the only one that ever builds it, that's OK.

However, that being said, I also find it very gratifying to think that there are other folks out there that get some level of enjoyment out of building one of my designs. One of the things I liked very much is when Gil did a build thread last year for my Cessna 140. It was a lot of fun for me to follow it and read his comments.

I used do aircraft add-ons, both commercial and free, for Microsoft Flight Simulator and even though I liked the money from the commercial projects, I used to get the most enjoyment from the e-mails I would recieve from people all over the world that where having fun with what I had created. I know that this may sound a little self-absorbed, but I like to think that the world is an ever-so-slightly happier place because of the stuff that I have done.
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Nearly missed that one how big is it and have you got a plan not this week though.
  12. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I love that!

Lizzie, your posts are always a source of intriguing insights!
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The plan in this thread is about all that I have.

The Bonnie and the other Majestic class ships were a little over 700 ft long if I am not mistaken. And as a beggar, I cannot set any time frame, but I know that there are at least two of us here who would recommend you for sainthood, or at least stand you a round...

14. Maurice

Maurice Member

St. Barry

630 pp, 650 wl, 695 oa x 80 x 23.5 (all feet).
    This is between pp off that body plan they were waving around. :grin:
    Bit crumpled aft of amidships.
    A lot more would be needed and I haven't seen anything floating around for free.
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

All hail St. Maurice...

Is that what that bunch of lines translates into? I tried making sense of it, and got the classic "Monty Python" complaint..."My brain hurts..."
  16. barry

barry Active Member

Majestic hull

Hey Maurice you've got your enthusiasm back nice hull from such little info. Do I suspect you suddenly have a little more time on your hands

best regards
  17. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Why design, and what the H is pp, wl & oa

Maurice - what do those abbreviatinos mean?

As to why I design:
    I haven't actually released anything yet (still trying to get time to finish off the assembly guide for that Airtractor, but the models finished) but I do have several design projects on the go.

I originally started doing it for myself, to get models that I can't find free downloads for. Once I started to appreciate how much effort goes into building the 3D model, texturing it, unfolding it, designing the parts layout, writing and illustrating the assembly instructions, and actually getting it all finished and released, I became much more willing to part with my money and buy the darn things.

I continue to work at it primarily (50%) because I love the creative process, secondly (40%) to give back to the community, and finally to see if it might bring any or all of recognition, fame, women, income, or any other form of ego boosting reward (10%).

And that's the truth!
  18. Maurice

Maurice Member

Apologies, I knew Barry would know.

Take the side view of a ship and there are several lengths all of which are important for different reasons (and sometimes other measurements may be needed for unusual shapes).
    The perpendiculars are vertical lines through where the stem cuts the loaded waterline and through the centreline of the rudderpost.
    Hence PP or LBP (perpendicular to perpendicular or length between perpendiculars). In effect it's the "wheelbase", the length about which the ship will turn.
    WL or LWL (load waterline) is the length on the fully loaded waterline. Useful for speed and resistance calculations. It can sometimes have the same numerical value as the LBP, depending on the shape of the ship. However it is not, as has been erroneously stated elsewhere on this forum, an alternative label for LBP.
    OA or LOA is the length overall and is where the lay person finally gets to know how long it is. :)
    The next 2 figures are the maximum moulded breadth of the hull (to the inside surface of the hull plates) and the maximum draught of the hull below the waterline.
    Of course the maximum beam of an aircraft carrier across the flight deck and island is much larger, that, and the height of the flight deck above the waterline, don't always get a mention.

If I could just take the opportunity to mention, the pic I posted looks a bit qwap, it was meant to. I was trying to show what could be directly extracted from the available body plan and not what could be had by further work.
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Did the French have a Majestic class carrier and do you know the name. Thought it might be on that site with all the French Navy up 1975(?)

20. Maurice

Maurice Member

The original HMS Colossus, the 2 groups seem to have been externally the same, served as the Arromanches from 1951 till the French built their own carriers.
    It ain't there - I checked earlier.:sad: