Why do you design cardmodels?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by thewoodengraver, May 21, 2007.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I have talked to many, many designers over the last few years. I asked them all "why do you design ?".
    The most common answer is " for myself". Other answers were, " for my friends here" and "to give back what has been given".

I have never heard " to be popular" or " so the group will like me".

Although, no one asked me that question...lol

Anyone besides me count the downloads? Or could you care less?
  2. SteveM

SteveM Member

originally it was to "give back", in return for all the free models others had given to the world that I benefitted from. Now, I do it for its own sake, for the joy of creation, so I suppose that's "for myself".

I do count the downloads, but I don't take the numbers as a measure of my popularity, but of the relative popularity of one model to another. My most recent hakos were in a sense "paired"; Captain America vs Iron Man, Heinz vs Caterpillar, Speed vs RacerX, it was kinda fun watching the download numbers as a kind of "horse race". :)
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I hate to disappoint, so why do you design ;)
  4. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

All Of The Above

5. Peter P

Peter P New Member

im designing models because i simply like the process of designing ,thats all!
  6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I've been doing pc graphics since my first pc (IBM PC Jr) in the mid '80s. I've been an avid Photoshopper for years, and with the recent evolution of cheap consumer inkjet printers, I started to think about ways I could implement my digital graphics in the three-dimensional world.

About two years ago I hit on the idea of creating printed models based on my graphics. As I started to develop the idea, I began doing a little research, and discovered to my delight the world of card modeling, which, using the same technology (internet, inkjets) was picking up steam. Turned out lots and lots of others (like you all!) were thinking along the same lines.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Whenever I get into a community, I wanted to do something for it. For a cardmodel community it's obviously to design a cardmodel.
    Another reason is I just want to prove (to myself) that I can do it ;)
  8. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

I have to be honest and say that it is for myself, because I was designing my own before I even thought to look on the internet and find out if there were others out there with the same interest and I'd still be designing them if there were no commercial scene.
    Silly of me not to realise there would be others really seeing as I'm a folk musician in what is left of my spare time and there's So many internet sites related to that.:)
    I sell my models at present but come the day that I feel that I have a proper base to work from I intent to have some free models to supplement my Micromodel style sets.
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

I started designing, because I couldn't find models of certain planes I wanted to build. My models still reflect that line of thinking. Currently I'm finishing up the Brewser Buccanneer / Bermuda....my first prop job.
  10. barry

barry Active Member

I suppose to prove I could after that to see how far I could stretch it. Please nobody suggest a Nimitz class I ain't any space left and Photoshop sort of groans at 50 inches.
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

A very good question Phil! There's some noble reasons so far, and I wish I could say something similar....... but I can't.....

No Sir..... Its because of the Fame, Fortune, .. and Dancing Girls... for me !!!!

* I must be doing something wrong though... cause it aint happenin yet. ???.
  12. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Well, when I started designing I basically wanted to see If I could do it.
    Then I started wanting to give back.
    As I saw popularity rise for my silly little toys, I decided they were good enough to share here
    As I saw selfishness rise in downloaders, ( as though we design for their approval) it became for myself.
    Now, after the incredible display of love and support from members here, they are for you (as long as you remember, they were for me first).

I have the fortune and dancing girls...give my fame to someone else.lol
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

OK..a good question deserves a good answer..

I started off designing for others ~ extracting and developing models from PC games ( ah the heady days of Homeworld eh!) Once the paper bug really bit, I'd have to say its was the challenge of developing something that anyone can build. I've only built about half the ones I've developed.. So I guess that places me firmly in the "for others' camp.( Can I vote again)

Btw Phil your toys are NOT silly! anything you create that brings joy is gold ~ green ?

:-D :-D
  14. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I'm still waiting on the dancing girls, althoug my new job as a bouncer should help.

I design because I like designing. Plus getting the occasional $$ doesn't hurt.

Still waiting on the fame, too.
  15. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm playing with one of your toys as we speak ;) Silly is in the eye of the beholder - I like 'em.

When are you going to design a model of the dancing girls ;)
  16. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I started designing so I could have models I wanted that weren't available otherwise. It was a natural progression (back) to paper from scratchbuilding in other materials once I had the skills and computer resources available. As for designing for others, well, the relative unpopularity of some of my subjects just reinforces my desire to just design what I want for myself. Of course, as Aaron said, occasionally getting $$ would be nice, too, just haven't come up with a decent (finished) subject yet (maybe the 307....)

Scott K.
  17. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Because I can design the models I want, and I like to do it. The challenge of turning an idea into something tangible is what I love most I think. I enjoy figuring things out. I can pick the subject matter and design into it the level of detail that I enjoy building at. AND I can give the models the paint-job I want to, without actually having to actually paint anything.
    I suppose that = 'for myself'.
  18. airbob

airbob Member

I cant lie!....like the reason a cat "purrs"...self stimulation....God gave me this brain and I like to stimulate it!...and that's what designing does for me....all my designs (efforts) have been free.....sooo I guess that "fame and the dancing girls" are an secondary reason! LOL!:twisted:
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I started designing because I thought it would be easy. One evening while watching The Flintstones (in rerun, of course), I was watching Fred peddle his car along the road and in my mind, I suddenly saw it broken down and laid flat for cutting and pasting. So I drew what my mind saw, asked DeWayne to check its build and have continued from there.

If you could see my projects folder, you'd laugh...more than 300 project in one stage or another of development with some being added as "Someone else has designed that one." were removed.

Hopefully, if things settle down with me, I'll be able to finish one or two in the near future.

But I have been saying that for months...we'll see.
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Technical challenge, I suppose. I am one of those guys with a very short attention span, so I tend to solve a problem, but then get distracted by something new, usually before I finish anything. My hard-drive is littered with almost-finished projects. I have plenty of reasons why I don't have enough time to complete a model, family, work, other interests, but basically I am too scatterbrained for my own good.

Mind you, I'm winning the lottery this week-end, so then I'll be able to retire early and finish everything. Except then I'll be learning to fly, scuba-dive, collect racing motorcycles; so all that will happen will be the excuses will change....