Why card models are always underestimated?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Hans Christian, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

certain questions never get asked.

just enjoy it

2. It's like compairing apples with pears..
    Cheers, Billy
  3. cygielski

cygielski Member

In Poland we'd say you're discussing the superiority of Christmas over Easter. To each his own. :)
  4. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

I have to admit to building models in plastic, balsa wood, foam and or course, paper. All have been enjoyable and unique unto themselves. I stopped building plastic, not due to cost - I have enough kits on a shelf in the garage that I will not have to buy for a long time! - but the eyes just did not like to work that small anymore. You will find snobs in all hobbies, "experts", too but that just goes with the territory. A good friend and modeling buddy, who introduced me to paper models over forty years ago, combines the best of the plastic and paper model worlds by designing and building ship models in 1:250 scale using plastic card and paper ship techniques. The end results are fantastic! Anyway, enjoy your hobbies, using whatever medium you find works best and if you really want to show the "experts", challange them to a build in paper - with both of you building the same model! Now, back to decide what to cut up next.
    Fred Z
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hmmm.....well plastic is superior in many ways. Granted they are easier to assemble but their main challenge is if you can paint and weather well. Paper in many ways is harder to assemble therefore much more rewarding in the end. Paper requires little painting which is nice for those who may have trouble painting but you're stuck with the designer's color scheme unless you want to do a painstaking re-color on photoshop. I love both paper and plastic as well as wood. They all have their advantages and disadvantages to each other, but to say one is better than the other or to call one or the other the "lazy man's model" is just plain stupid. Do what you like is what I say.

In fact what I find disturbing here is one can post pics of their recent model and get only a couple repies to their posts within a week and somone posts a ***** fest and gets 40+ post in less than 24 hours. People would rather rant than say anything in a positive post, I find that truly disgusting!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

>Paper requires little painting which is nice for those who may have trouble painting but you're stuck with the designer's color scheme unless you want to do a painstaking re-color on photoshop. <

This is one of the thing that I love about this medium, I can take any model and have a go at turning it into something that I want.
  7. popala

popala Member

There were builds on Polish and German forums where people painted paper models same way as plastic models. Nothing anywhere says that you cannot paint paper models the same way you paint plastic!
  8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

True you can paint paper models but you end up loosing panel lines and other details that must later be re-added. Kinda makes paintin over the detail seems pointless.
  9. popala

popala Member

Before painting panel lines and rivets can be scored. The effect will be identical to what you get on a plastic model.
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Getter1 I just fell in love with you! It was your post #45 I believe, the last part got me. Thank you for saying it! You are my new HERO!!!
  11. cygielski

cygielski Member

I just went on the FineScaleModeler forum that started it all - I ran a search for "card" and came up with a few discussions, none of them negative. I'd say we're getting bent out of shape over nothing here - if there have been derogatory remarks about card models by plastic modellers, they've been few and far in between.

BTW, this thread is getting pretty long in the tooth, maybe it's time to give it a rest?
  12. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

the short answer to the question is "ignorance"! it is not hard to spot sophomores in a thread.....
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It all comes down to hotdogs ... I mean skill.

Those who are very good in their medium will make unskilled or novices of any other medium look poor.
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

mmmmmm hotdogs :D are you saying if I eat more hotdogs I will become more skillful ;)
  15. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I just had four, I must be amazing now :-D
  16. possm_23

possm_23 Member

does it matter what kind of hot dog???????:grin:
  17. dinsour

dinsour Member

Hot dogs, hmmm I ate one once. Then I worked for a while where they made them. I'll not eat one again. Because Saw what went into them. (you don't wanna know):cry:
    Same thing with baked goods. Worked there too.
    I had to stop working in the food industry, If i hadn't I would probably have starved to death.
    Anyone for dairy?

----------------73 Ron:twisted:
  18. k5083

k5083 Member

I am one who went from plastic to paper and then back, mostly, to plastic again. I have to say, as I read the initial post that started this thread, I understand what they're saying and pretty much agree. Given what these guys want out of modeling, they're right -- plastic is better for them.

And we can never "convert" such people by sharing pictures of what we consider eye-poppingly built paper models, because people who built in plastic are honestly not that impressed by even the best-built paper models, although they may respect the effort and skill involved. People who build in paper have trained themselves to overlook inaccuracies and limitations of paper that plastic guys have not.

So I don't think there's any discrimination to rant about. Just people with different goals in modeling who quite correctly conclude that paper is not the medium to give them the results they want.

19. Jacobs40K

Jacobs40K New Member

I build in both mediums, plastic and paper. I have way too many plastic kits that will probably never be completed. That's part of the plastic modeler's creed I think, to always maintain a backlog of at least 50 kits in the box and 2 on the bench.

There is no comparison between paper and plastic for modeling cars. Plastic is just much better. For other vehicles, like planes, trains and armour, that have relatively flat surfaces with simple curves, paper easily matches plastic. It surpasses plastic in that if you lose a part or make a mistake, you print out another piece. You can also experiment with better ways of attaching a particular part.

Storage is an area that paper by its nature is far superior to plastic. I have hundreds of kits that fit on a couple dvd's. My whole "modeling kit" fits in a compact rubbermaid container that slides under the bed. There are times that I don't want to sequester myself in the basement, mixing paint, sanding, filling, and airbrushing. Paper has been a great way for me to continue to feed my modeling jones without needing a huge amount of space and other hardware.

I'm very glad that I came across this community.

If you want a hot dog, Koegels are the only way to go.

20. I don't think anyone can deny a well built plastic model will always look better and more realistic than a well built paper model. This is especially true of subjects with many double curves to them, like aircraft.

That said, the skill set to build each type of model is different and will appeal to different temperments. Building a paper model is more artistic than building a plastic model, for example.

Both types of models have their advantages. I was attracted to paper models because of their ability to be scaled to any size i wanted, with ease. I build 1/18 scale subjects......all tanks to this point, which lend themselves quite well to the paper medium. There are only a few 1/18 scale tank models available now and while it is improving, the variety of subject matter will never be where i would like. So i build paper tank models to supplement and have been quite pleased with the results to date.

Ships are also a good subject matter for the paper medium and i plan to eventually build a 1/18 waterline U-boat model. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.