why can't I post in soldering Q&A in the academy?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Dave Harris, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I wanted to ask one question & answer another that no one did. For some reason I was informed I could not post there?

The question I had was about Eutectic solder , who makes it , where is it available? The liquid to solid range being as small as it is makes it sound ideal for working in brass, especially soldering details & such.

The Question asked & not answered was : How do you solder small joints that you want out of site? for example, say i am making a catenary bridge made of brass, and i don't want there to be a big nasty glob of solder at each joint. how do i apply only alittle solder?

When you are doing something like that where a hidden joint is needed a soldering iron is not ones best choice-- undoubtedly there are those who CAN do it, however, for most people a big glob would be the result.
    Perhaps a better soultion to this would be a small torch, like a Blazer or some other brand, there are several.
    The joint to be made sould be tinned on the mating surfaces ( an iron will do for this) then the parts fluxed & positioned & the torch can be used to "sweat" them in place. If additional solder is desired a VERY small snippet , flattened to paper thin can be inserted between the parts prior to heating.
    A spray bottle of water can be used to quickly quench the joint if heat transfer to other joints is a problem, frequently it is.
    The critical thing in this type of soldering is speed, as soon as the solder flows -- get the heat away from the joint-- keeping the torch playing on it won't do anything but harm.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Dave: the academy is an area for archiving classic threads. I think they may get cleaned up a bit as well. New entries are made by moderators on suggestion of Gauge or Zealt members.
    There is a technical Q&A section for posting questions.
  3. diburning

diburning Member

Take your solder, and use a razor to cut it into little disks. Then, use the corner of the razor blade to pick up the disks. Put the disks into the area you want to solder then just TOUCH the soldering iron to the solder for less than a second, then take it off. No mess.
  4. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I have used that method as well. I prefer to use a Blazer torch for much of my work however , I find when building a brass loco the torch works better for me. It would not do for joining track .
    The loco in my avatar was built mostly with the blazer.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The Academy is locked to comments and new threads, mainly because we want the thread to be more of a tutorial than an ongoing thread. Sometimes we will edit a thread before it goes in there, taking out some of the non-contributing posts, just to make the thread more educational or inspiring.

If you want to start a new thread on any subject in the Academy, just find the appropriate forum and have at it. Who knows, you might start a thread that's worthy of going into the Academy.:mrgreen:
  6. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Well, if you ever need a tutorial on stupid mistakes that no one should repeat, I'm your man! wall1
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I think there's a few of us here that could give you a run for your money on that count.:twisted: :twisted: Been there, done that :wave: :wave: