why build military crafts?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by lizzienewell, Dec 16, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It seems that military ships and and aircraft are the prefered subject matter for US cardmodelers. Why? What is the appeal of military equipment?
    How come so few modelers here are doing animals, figures, architecture, pop-ups, masks, plants, food and all the rest of the project of "modeling the world in paper"?
    How come their is no papercasting, papercutting, papermache, origami, paperdolls, puppets, and other disciplines of working with paper?
    What is the appeal of things that carry soldiers and guns?
    The discussion of why papermodeling was so interesting that I want to see the take on subject matter.

2. silverw

silverw Member

Other subjects

Hi Lizzie...

I don't know why...maybe because most of them have the potential for lots and lots of detail.

I mostly like ANY kind of mechanical things, but not only those. If you want to check out my attempt at a website...... "Other Stuff" (below), and don't get lost.... you may find a steam engine, electrical generator, a grain elevator, a pack of smokes, a deep freeze..... besides the Arrow.

VERY s l o w l y ..... I'm working on a collection of land clearing equipment that my dad used... way back in the 40ies.(My avatar is the little cat that he had) There just doesn't seem to be enough time to get around to all the subject that I would like to try!

Well.... got to get back to finishing up my "tank".... LOL.

3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I personally got involved with paper modeling when I was searching for World War I aircraft models on the internet. My fascination with military aircraft isn't limited to WWI. It is with aircraft in general, even though I spent 22 years in the Air Force. I wish there were a lot more civilian aircraft available, especially the heavy metal jets. However, I have branched off to cars, birds (am an avid bird watcher/photographer) and some animals. I select models for their subject matter. If I am interested in it, I get it. Or, as the case has been on a number occasions, if I have had personal experience with a similar real life object that the model represents. One such model is GPM's F-4E. That actual aircraft was at my last assignment in the Air Force. I even assisted Billy Joel the singer as he climbed into the cockpit during a USO visit to the base. I probably would have gotten that kit in any case, but the aircraft represented has a special place in my history. Other things include a model kit of a Snow Cat like one I drove in Thule, Greenland, a model of a car just like one I drove in Italy, and a few others I have "history" with. However, the idea of origami, paper mache hasn't been a foreign idea to me, just one I tried and basically failed at. And yes, the models I prefer to build are simple ones...just don't have the skill and patience for one of more detail.

Now the simple answer to your question...8v) I build and design things I like. And the Flintstones is still one of my favorite animations. See above for more "likes."
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

I did some stuff on paper casting a few sites ago. The interest level was less than encouraging and it was dropped. I've continued to develop the paper casting process into a commercially viable alternative to plastic models but that is off topic to the pursuits of this site.

Your question of why there is a preoccupation with war toys is as obvious as a visit to any hobby shop and gaging the inventory with demand. Yes it's what sells that gets reordered and propagates the decision making process of where the supplier will spend product development budget. The nice thing about paper models is that the startup costs are fairly low and many ingenious and able designers are making their creations available to the World via the internet. Also notice that there are many times more animal and architecture models available in paper than in any other medium. What makes this site work, like most, is based on individual interest and hence the number of posts in a particular category building a base for further visitations and additional responses.

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I think it is because little boys love things that go bang, love throwing sticks and stones, love chasing and fighting. It is a caveman thing.

And blokes never really grow up.....

Tim P

PS I feel VERY uncomfortable building models of Nazi machinery; I have several of Dr Zarkovs Messerschmitt and Dornier models in my pile, but every time I look at them, I put them away again. Personal thing, not suggesting my ideas should be forced on anyone else!
  6. shrike

shrike Guest

I think one of the basic reasons anyone buids models of anything is a desire to own, albeit in miniature, something that they may not be able to own in 'real life'. That hold true wether its a model of a WWII fighter, a platypus or the cathedral at Notre Dame.

I like airplanes. Plane and simple. I like paper models of airplanes because the method of construction echoes that of the real thing in many cases. My taste in most things is towards the obscure,(hence a 40yo English sedan as my daily driver, an eclectic CD collection and goat for lunch yesterday) so i tend to build/design things that no longer exist, or that were evolutionary dead ends.
    30's technology offers SO many of those. As it happens politically extreme regimes offered a fertile ground for such things as well. Extreme in this case is NOT limited to Hitler/Stalin. France was/is extreme in its either arrogance/national pride (delete as appropriate) and the US was extreme in it's isolationism and miserly budget (til 1939) leading to lots of dead end prototypes, limited production and honestly wacky craft.
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I like things that fly and fly well to the exclusion of almost anything else. And since the military generally has the best airplanes (nice big fat budgets that everybody likes to complain about) it's natural that those are my favorite to build and design. I love birds as well and have built the Merlin that was offered through PMI's catalog and if there were some eagles I would probably order one of those as well. But I have to echo Tim and say that little boys do love things that go bang and I don't think any of us really ever grow up in that regard.
  8. Hi Lizzie, interesting question. My 'forte' is architectural models, and, to a lesser degree, historical sailing ships. But that doesn't mean I have never built a military model, or weapon - hell, I create them myself. But just take a look at the available models from some large publishers, like Schreiber, or Wilhelmshavener, both from Germany. Most of their models are non-military. Search the Internet: most models are non-military. I used to work in a cardmodelshop - most models we sold were non-military, mostly architecture, animals, theatres (Pollocks!), furniture, dollhouses, you name it. My point is, I don't think the majority of the papermodelers prefer military models. They just make louder noises. :grin:

9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Personally, I have an interest in cars and trucks, and helicopters, when i used to make plastic models i hardly made any tanks or ships, and now in paper i stick with what i like.

As for Origami, i taught myself over one summer back in the Netherlands, and now i have over 145 books, and a couple of boxes with paper.

one of the other paper crafts which has caught my eye, is Paper Tole, a 3D layering of multiple images. My mother used to do this and she had some books, one of them she gave to me.

I build anything that catches my interest, and those subjects i know well(dakar vehicles)

10. hpept

hpept Member

i'm interested in "miniatures" in general: all small scale things fascinate me. I got involved in plastic modelling when i was a child, and the most common thing to find on the market was of course military aircrafts models. This created a sort of imprinting in my mind, which led also to address my study career towards aerospace engineering. I deeply studied flying machines, and got more and more in love with these devices. My modeling interests have widened, now i do space related models (see the space shuttle threads), some shy attempts in architecture, science fiction, racing cars and of course aircrafts.
    Why military models are so popular? I think it's mainly due to their offending potential and because they look damn cool. What i personally like about military model is the somewhat complexity and technological aspect of the devices: i do really like weapons (in real life i'm a good target sniper too) but don't misunderstand me, i hate violence and blame the use of weapons to offend the others, even if they were sadly created to accomplish with this task.
  11. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

hmmmm.... a valid question liz. most of my customers are wargamers, of all ages. we live in a very competitive age and combat represents the ultimate competition. many of the tenets of warfare, strategic as well as tactical, can be applied directly to the interpersonal relationships in our lives. nothing changes the history of the world like conflict. ash is correct, a big chunk of the older population used these vehicles themselves, many taking them into harm's way and back. this endears particular vehicles to the users as well as their progeny. these people are heros. i'm not sure if there is a realistic way to honor the tuskegee airmen, for example, without a red tail aircraft. this, in my opinion, is a better way to develop such concepts as opposed to romanticizing lawless "gangstas" from today's video games and movies. gaming and non-lethal competition pays big dividends, should the real thing occur. it is said the battle of waterloo was won on the playing fields of eaton. i have no problems with replicating german equipment. many would rather forget the dark chapter in history that is associated with the nazis. this is a mistake which only invites repetition as those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. politics aside, the german contributions to technology of the era have resulted in nuclear submarines, cruise missles, guided munitions, and SV's. without von braun, we likely would not have made it to the moon, one of america's finer accomplishments. those same SVs safely guide many people on a daily basis. a little known fact is that among america's involvement in all our conflicts, about twice as many lives have been claimed by accidents and flawed equipment as has been claimed by "enemy action". as i'm sure you are aware liz, even fishing boats are involved in a psuedo combat. one with potentially deadly consequences as one of the oldest conflicts is "man against the sea". all too often, the sea wins.
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

For the same reasons you build your models. Interest, fancination, history, or just because I want to. Freedom is a good thing!

I not only build planes..........but I also do animals, cars, other stuff. I built a really neat moving bat above a tombstone for halloween. It interested me.

I must have written this response four or five times before I finally submit just this.
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Lizzy,

I build mostly aircraft, and most of them are military. The majority of them have attractive lines, and quite a few of them are models of aircraft that I have had something to do with. I have been known to venture into other areas though, I believe someone here mentioned the bird mobile series, I picked up some of them and will likely start on them soon.

14. airbob

airbob Member

other than military modeling...

I for one like the civilian side of modeling....I love airframes and would be the first to agree that some military airframes are beau-ti-ful....the P-51 and the B-1 are really elegant airframes...but the civilian side is also interesting...and I feel that the Boeing 707 is a most elegant bird....and ships!!!...the SS United States is one of the cleanest most formal ships ever built...and as the elegent liners were replaced by the dawning of the commercial trans-continental jets this is a most interesting era...as is the vintage steamship era at the turn of the century and beyond I enjoy reducing them all and building ships at the 1:600 scale...the tugs are really fun as they are so tiny at this scale...it is all so interesting!!!! I shall never run out of paper things to build...and if they don't make them...I design them myself!!!
  15. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

The question of military vs. nonmilitary carries over into other modeling media. In wooden ship modeling, warships are much more common than civilian ships, even though many civilian ships are very beautiful. This dichotomy is also reflected in the higher prices commanded by warship models. Personally, like others have mentioned, I build whatever strikes my fancy at the moment and have built warships and civilian craft in roughly equal number.

16. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The 707 is a nice bird, but I still think that the Lockheed Constellation is the prettiest airliner ever, especially when fitted out with the tip tanks.
  17. airbob

airbob Member

most beautiful airframe...

I agree that the Lockheed Constellation is the most beautiful, it is hard to beat those graceful lines in the Constellations "bird-like" fuselage...I have the new kit of the Constellation rom Pape Trade, and it appears to be an outstanding kit!...cant' wait to build it!
  18. 46rob

46rob Member

I spent twenty four years in the Navy, fixing fighter and attack carrier based machines. My dad was a Navy pilot. I've been around aircraft since I can remember. I'm gettting a bit long in the tooth, now, and I miss airplanes. Building (and designing) card models of planes that have had an impact on my life brings back old memories. I too get uncomfortable with Nazi models--I don't have those reservations about the Japanese planes of the same era, for some reason. We owned a Piper Tripacer back in the sixties, and I built a model of it, but it just wasn't satisying as the A7 Corsair II. Currently I'm designing a DC9--doing it in Eastern livery now, but the original intent was to build an Air Force Nightingale and Naval Skytrain II version....still gonna happen--got personal experiences with both.
  19. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Why military?

For me military stuff is what I already was building as a kid, only back then it was in plastic. So when I discovered papr models, my subject interest was already set.
    I LOVE aeroplanes, but in that arena, I think most civilian aircraft look decidedly wimpy when compared to miltary aircraft. And find me anyone who doesn't love the Spitfire!
    And I suspect it's a guy thing as well. I grew up watching the Three Stooges and Old War Movies... out of those two areas, the miltary was the more suitable choice for modeling.
  20. Kaz

Kaz Member

military models

I must admit it was aircraft that started me off, but recently it has been odd vehicles and robots that have captured my imagination, perhaps its because they aren't too fiddly :)
    And its good to see you have a suntan now, or did you change your avatar?