Why bother?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by alfadoc, Apr 12, 2007.

1. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

2. josve

josve Active Member

You bother because you want to!
    What others might do or have done should not be something to concider at all...
    Build the models you want, and you know we'll appreciate every single one presented here if it's done before or not!
    If we should have that in mind for every model we built, the unbuilt pile would just rise skyhigh in the end.
    So take my humble advice.....build because it's fun, build the model YOU want, build it in your speed , and don't forget to post shots along the way :)
  3. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

Thanks, Josve. I was joking anyway. Actually kind of inspiring, to see what is possible if you have the skill and perseverence. Kind of like you!:wink:
  4. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Rojas basically spends years developing real aircraft, scaled down. It seems similar to making card models, at first glance, but I think it really is different. They are impressive indeed. So is some of the stuff we can do with paper.
  5. airbob

airbob Member

I agree....this is very very impressive....slightly less impressive than it would be to view this assembly in 1942 in the Messerschmidt Factory.....but it is not
    PAPER:cry: ....and paper modeling is awsome!!!:yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The same reason I'm still building ED-209 and you've already shown me up!!!!

Remember, when you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you!! (Or something like that. Ask my Gramma, she used to say that all the time)
  7. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

This individual must have no life outside of building models. It would take me a lifetime to build one of those planes!:roll:
  8. airbob

airbob Member

anyway, I probably could not afford a rivet from one of these masterpieces!:-(
  9. Alcides

Alcides Member

Because I prefer my simple Gee Bee over that BF110 :grin:

I don't a lot have time, I have finished very few models, but I enjoy the pleasure to turn a piece of paper in a 3d model. My kids loves and share when I made something.

Golden Bear thinks he can't achive the hability of others buildes, well I think a never can reach the quality of Golden Bear models but it's fun and this is enough for me.

and I enjoy look what every builder shows in this forum.
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Picasso, Mozart, DaVinci............... Masters always humble with their work.

But they also inspire!

We have a few Masters here:grin:

11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hehe ... without Rojas, we have no bar of excellence to reach for. =)
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

We bother because it's there. I kind of echo Carl /Goldenbear, just when you think you have a particulary good build going, someone points you to a thread where it was done and in my case, done much better, but I plug along because it is new ground for me! Their finished kit isn't sitting on My display area, and when it does, I know that I built it.
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I think this is the best advice on card modeling I have ever heard.
    A lot of newbies see what the masters can do and feel they could never do that well, so why try.
    If anyone reading this feels that way, heed Johnny's words and remember them well. Don't pass up on all the fun!

14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I don't think anyone seriously would contemplate giving up on the hobby just because there's better out there. We'd never try anything if that was our true feeling.

I like to fish, too, but I've never caught a trphy (I don't even like fish, just fiashing). But, it relaxes me, it's fun to tell stories, brag occasionally, joke, and complain about how crappy the fishing has been lately.

I find other's success inspiring. But it's fun to kid around with and about the pro's....
  15. RM_clermont

RM_clermont Member

My grandpa once told me that its easyer to reach happyness loving and enjoying what you do than trying to be the best on it, and I think he was quite right. Good luck with your 110 and enjoy your build :)
  16. k5083

k5083 Member

I honestly can't come up with a good answer to "why bother" after seeing that 110, even after reading the other posts here.

Matter of fact, if any hobby ever becomes a "bother" then it is time to give it up!

But if it's fun, then it's irrelevant whether others are better. I have good reason to believe that others are better at sex than I am, but oddly, I have felt no urge to give up on it just yet. :)

17. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Don't feel that way about it. Every on this site come here to enjoy building model .. It not a contest !!! If that were case i be in last place ha ha !!! i'am still work on models from months ago. But when there done i still post them .. Even if my camara not great :( The model are !!! The bigger reason i like this site is the fact i can found all diffrent models And not just any model Cars, Ed209, Airwolf , Mechs Planes, Go to your hobby shop and try to find model like that you mite !! but you'll pay some good money to ... you build your model for yourself and for you enjoyment !!!
  18. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Did you read his biographical notes? He writes 'My hobby had become my profession.' I think that's the difference for most of us. We can only put in so much time and so much money to a hobby. If it's your livelihood then the whole focus changes. I will never scale the peaks reached by great professional model makers, but I have a lot of fun doing what I do without having to worry if the customer will be satisfied.
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Alphadoc, I'm not sure if any of this sage advice has reached you, but it has reasserted my beliefs in why we do it. Thanks guys, for good advice and differant aspects of why we hobby!
  20. Padre

Padre Guest

Also take a look at this site http://www.fineartmodels.com/home/index.asp

Paper is fine for me...........although I REALLY would like to have one or two of the models but my wife does not want to sell the house to let me :wink: