Why are large turntables so high?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Nick8564, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I was thinking of the Sierra Railroad in particular when I posted about a wye or balloon track. The Sierra resisted dieselizing for a long time after all other railroads had dieselized. One thing they did was to purchase a used 2-6-6-2 articulated from a logging company to use for mainline power. Their turntable in Jamestown wasn't nearly big enough to turn it, but they had a wye there. It may have been that they had the wye before the articulated, so they just used it to turn the articulated locomotive instead of spending the money to build a larger turntable.
  2. brakie

brakie Active Member

Russ,There where times when a steam engine ran tender first such as returning from a transfer run and returning urban locals to the yard and and backing to or from a mine while on mine runs. :D Try that during your next op session and those that are unschooled in every day railroad operation will shake their heads. :D
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I remember reading an article by a retired S.P. engineer in one of the train magazines a few years ago. He was recounting a trip he took over Tehachapie with a cab forward where for some reason that I no longer remember, they had to run it backwards. He thought they were going to die before they got through all of the tunnels!
  4. espee

espee New Member