Who's planning a Christmas layout?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Dr. John, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

I had to skip the Christmas layout last year as we were in the middle of a move. This year, I hope to build a small O-27 layout (loop with maybe one siding) along with our Dept. 56 buildings. Rather than put ours under the tree, I usually put the layout base on top of an old buffet in our breakfast room.

What are your plans?
  2. Well, I think this year I will put a loop of O guage track around the tree with one siding. Use my Williams S2 Steam Turbine and some Lionel cars. Milk, Log, for some action. Usually put some lighted buildings with fir trees and a lot of artificial snow. Like cotton. I've got some old metal people, from England ,that
    put the topping on it. Love to watch that train run around the tree.

3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

This weekend we will be starting on our Christmas and Halloween layouts. Two running at the same time.

The Halloween will be in the dinning room and the Chrstmas will be in the living room.

What a great time of year.
  4. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Thanks guys for reminding me I have to get started on it. My wife has a lot of the Ceramic houses, but my favorite is my little plastic bricks I still have from when I was a kid. These were actually the forerunners of Legos. They have working windows & doors & green roofs. By golly, I think I''l take a picture & see if any of you guys are familiar with them. Ok, thanks, John a
  5. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Ok, I took a picture of the container they used to come in. I have even purchased more of these. I found them in antique stores & on E-bay! Thanks, John [​IMG]
  6. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

John - I used to have those type of brick. Just loved them. I give them to my nephue and then my brother got devorced and now they are gone.
  7. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Oh, glad someone else is familiar with them, & sorry to hear you don't have yours now. I really have a ton of them now & you're welcome to have some if you like ! My relatives had them also when I was a kid & my Aunt would have them around the tree at Christmass, as I have done a few times too. Even now though, kids that come over just love to build with them & Rusty played with them a lot too when he was little. Thanks, John
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Mine's ready to go---even survived a submersion in a flood earlier this year. There are three loops of track, an elevated one for Thomas and friends, and two lower ones, an antique Marklin tinplate passenger train and a loop of EZ track to run whatever strikes me at the time. The buildings are all handmade by me in cardboard and then painted by my beloved. The platform is painted white with streets laid out in painters caulk to look like plowed snow. Alot of action in 42"x 60" :thumb:

Attached Files:

9. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Shaygetz :[​IMG] That is very nice, and It looks like you put a live tree in there! Thanks for sharing & nice meeting you ! John
  10. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Nice job guys. Mine will be what ever I get done upsatirs. OH, Dr. John, The Peanuts guys were Danberry Mint from last year.
  11. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Bob, very nice

Here are a couple of pics from last years layout. It's a 4' x 8'

What's the temp outside ?????:D
  12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Bob, any chance you would shoot a closeup of one or two of the buildings you built? They look awesome!

Last year for Christmas I set up a double reverse loop with O27 track and 1121 switches wired to be non-derailing. It ended up being roughly 4x6, I think. It was nice because the train was always changing directions.

This year I might do a two-loop job with a 45-degree crossing, O27 again. I don't have as much space to work with this year and I know I can do one of those in 4x5 or less.
  13. Tom... Great pictures. I spotted a Divco truck. Is that from Diecast?

I got a couple of Ernie's Ice Cream Divco's from them.

14. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Hi Chuck,
    yep, we have two of them and yes we got them from Diecastdirect. They have a great slection of cars at a good price.
  15. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I haven't thought about those bricks in years. Boy, does that take me back. :D I used to spend hours building houses and all kinds of other buildings with them. Had the Lincoln Logs and the Erector Set too. Some of the most enjoyable toys were a bunch of plain old wooden blocks of all different shaps and sizes. I think the kids of today are missing out since it seems like all of today's toys require very little immagination.
  16. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Well I was gonna that is until I saw how great your alls looked and now I am depressed.

I need some sweetened ice tea to settle my nerves and rethink all this.

I built a two level board and use it every couple of years. It is 4x8 with plaster road ruts and snow drifts.
    The second level is a tunnel runing the lenght and in the back of the board and has a simle clift face with paster molded out croppings.

I painted it white and sprinkel glitter on the wet paint.

I use a pile of ceramic houes and figures and have about 2 or 3ydozen pine trees on it.

It is framed but sets on the floor.

Other rears I set up a standard gauge set with cast iorn cars and trucks and put it around the tree. I place some antique toys and dolls with it for affect.

I rehaped a set of 300 something coaches from a train show junk box and painted them like the Blue Commet. Like wise the engine, a Lionel #33
    electric if memory serves. Those were damaged in a flood and are awaitng a re-restored.

The track and switches are rusted and I have no idea how the several 1910 era transformers made out.

This year it will be the white board again in the parlor.
  17. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I hope to set up something similar to last year.
    An oval of O gauge for the AC Lionel and 2 O27 ovals. One for Marx and one for the DC Lionel and some scratch-built locos.
    Actually I can't wait, I have 2 old #242 Scout locomotives I picked up cheep ($2.50 each) and rebuilt that I am looking forward to running. I found a pair of newer slope back tenders to go with them for $3 each.
  18. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Sounds like it is beginning to look a lot like Christams at your house.

Some plasticville wood look good under the tree with that cool post war stuff.

I have a bunch of Bachman white picket fence. I will be glad to let go of a few sections if you pay the postage to go under your tree. Maybe $2?

Let me know.

I went hog wild on ebay several years ago and bought up a shoe box full. Also the hard plastic ice cycles that glow in the dark, the little red and green plastic elves and the glow in the dark animals.

I set up a 4 foot, cheap artificial tree in the TV room some years with the big bulb lights just like we had in the fifties.
    Were those wonderful years?

Gilbert, Marx, Lionel, the Bomb, the cold war, transistor radios, metal toys, cap guns, the McCarthy hearings, white plastic fences under the tree. What a wonderful life.

This is a pic I swiped...I mean a pic from an out side source. It aint my house but it could be. As soon as I plug in this ssb or cbs or sob cable, what ever I had to pay 30 bucks for, I have some neat old pics to scan from the days of erector sets, lincoln logs and what ever came before leggos.

Gosh, I loved my fanner fifty and matching Matell Winchester repeater.

Heck I love my Winchester M 70 circa 1949 now :p

Not to mention that neat CW cannon that shot plastic balls...I still have it and a marx plastic to bad it aint steel..ride on steam engine. I need to phot those before Xmass.
  19. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Great pics, everyone!

Bob, nice to meet you!

Chief, thanks for the info on the Peanut's gang. I'll have to do some surfing to try to find one like it.
  20. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

John (csx),

I had piles of those bricks when I was a kid also. They were great fun. Spents hours building buildings, etc., with them. Too bad they are long gone. As I recall, unlike Legos, they did not stick together as well, so you had to develope a bit of skill to make something hold up.

Neat find!

We haven't had a train under the tree for many years. My wife doesn't like the noise (likes the trains though). I may try something again this year. I just do a simple loop or oval under the tree.