Who wood'da thunk

thumsup

:thumb:Hi all, Never thought I would be saying "I"M new at this" at my age. So here it is "I'm new at this train stuff". I'm ready to start the journey. So following is my Givens and Druthers.
I’m thinking this isn’t enough info so be kind. All of the time I have spent here reading and reading and reading you would think it would soak in, not. So here goes.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Givens and Druthers

(Railroad Name) Not determined yet
Scale: N
Gauge: Standard

Prototype: Complete fantasy
Era: 1947 to 1958
Region: Home town U.S.A.
Railroad: UP & Santa Fe
Space:
Simply a 3 foot by 8 foot rectangle in “the man cave”
Governing Rolling Stock: Older stuff because the RR is so poor.

Relative Emphasis: (move the V)

|____________V_________________________________|
Track/Operation .................................................. ..Scenic realism
|_________________________V____________________|
Mainline Running .................................................. ........ Switching

Operation Priorities: (rearrange as required)
  1. Local Freight Operations Passenger Train Switching
  2. Maybe a hint of Long freight Train Operations
  3. Engine Terminal Movements a hint would be nice.
  4. Helper District Operations
  5. Passenger Train Switching maybe in the future
  6. Main-Line Passenger Train Operation again maybe in the future
Typical operating Crew: Me
Eye Level (Owner) 60+ In.

Joe:thumb:

nkp174

To give the hint of longer train operation, you can either have an interchange at the edge of the layout, a double track passing through one corner, or have a track that is on the surface in the front of the layout but drops down below the scenery behind...so that longer freights can parade onto the scene and then disappear...and since the entire loop isn't visible, you can't see the entire train at once.

If you avoid straight and double track, you trains will seem longer...use long, slight curves in place of straight track. This is a perk to modeling the transition era...40' cars can help make your train seem longer.

thumsup

To give the hint of longer train operation, you can either have an interchange at the edge of the layout, a double track passing through one corner, or have a track that is on the surface in the front of the layout but drops down below the scenery behind...so that longer freights can parade onto the scene and then disappear...and since the entire loop isn't visible, you can't see the entire train at once.

If you avoid straight and double track, you trains will seem longer...use long, slight curves in place of straight track. This is a perk to modeling the transition era...40' cars can help make your train seem longer.

Thanks nkp, your suggestion sounds good, it's on my list.

Joe :thumb:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Joe,

Is 3x8 the total available space, or how much you're willing to build? Is it on a wall, in a corner or an alcove? What I'm getting at here is how many sides will you be able to easily access?

Also, what is your layout building experience? Will this be your first?

thumsup

Joe,

Is 3x8 the total available space, or how much you're willing to build? Is it on a wall, in a corner or an alcove? What I'm getting at here is how many sides will you be able to easily access?

Also, what is your layout building experience? Will this be your first?

Squidbait,
thanks for replying, I have followed the works of yourself and many others here on the "gauge" I feel honored and a bit intimidated. At this moment I feel like the Eagle in a weasels clothing. Anyway. At this point I would like to stick with the 3x8, I will be able to easily access one long side and one short side. Long side being front and short side being on the right. If neccessary I can move the bench into the room for limited access on the two other side.
Layout building experience = little
construction experience = much
and yes this well be my first layout since 1955 which my father did (I watched, sort of).

Thanks

Mountain Man

Squidbait,
thanks for replying, I have followed the works of yourself and many others here on the "gauge" I feel honored and a bit intimidated. At this moment I feel like the Eagle in a weasels clothing. Anyway. At this point I would like to stick with the 3x8, I will be able to easily access one long side and one short side. Long side being front and short side being on the right. If neccessary I can move the bench into the room for limited access on the two other side.
Layout building experience = little
construction experience = much
and yes this well be my first layout since 1955 which my father did (I watched, sort of).

Thanks

All you have to do is remember that while eagles may soar, weasels never get sucked into jet engines. :mrgreen: