Who says Cabooses are gone!!!

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Palmisano, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. Palmisano

    Palmisano Member

    I took this photo of a CSX Local in Cincinnati last week. Just the kind of train we like to model. A short local with a caboose.

    Attached Files:

  2. railohio

    railohio Active Member

    Except they're not cabooses anymore. In railroad terms they are a "shoving platform."
  3. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    Brain,Whats so strange about using the term caboose? I still here that term used on my scanner..Some times old terms hang around.

    The NS uses a lot of cabooses in the coal fields for long reverse moves to the mines as does CSX..Shoot the CSX Marion switcher uses a caboose..:D
  4. railohio

    railohio Active Member

    Old habits die hard for railroaders.
  5. Dave Flinn

    Dave Flinn Member

    Not only do old habits die hard; but new ones don't "hatch" very well. I never even heard the term "shoving platform" until reading this thread.
  6. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    Dave,I have heard that term before in Trains magazine..I think Railfans use these new "catch" words far more then railroaders..A switch is still a switch in railroad speak and not a "turnout" as in model railroad speak.
    As far as I am concern a turnout is a group of people at a event or what a fireman wears to a fire.:sign1
  7. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery


    My ca. 1930s Canadian National Maintenance of Way book lists "switches" as "turnouts". In fact, there are several fold-out illustrations of turnouts and wyes up to #20.

    The guys at the local club who have had real-world CN experience also call cabooses "vans" for some reason. Local lingo I guess... ;)

  8. stump7

    stump7 Member

    Hey Palmisano
    Dispite all the semantics about "vans" and switches that is a great photograph. It's nice to see the prototype still has some
  9. stump7

    stump7 Member

    Wow! What happened? Sorry Gang.
  10. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    Andrew,I will take your word for that my friend since I know zip about Canadian railroads.:D I think the British uses turnout as well.:D
  11. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    No problem I took care of the oops! posts..:D
  12. Palmisano

    Palmisano Member

    I saw people in it too!
  13. who_dat73

    who_dat73 Member

    Do they call it a caboose or a crummy? Saw that at the local museum posted in the caboose never heard the word crummy before that.sign1
  14. Dave Flinn

    Dave Flinn Member

    I think the term "van" is rather universally used in Great Britain; and, in the US, the PRR called them "Cabin Cars", so there are lots of different words for the same useful little rail vehicle.
  15. kf4jqd

    kf4jqd Active Member

    I even posted a CSX caboose on here! It's somewhere on The Gauge! The caboose runs all the time my my place, between Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tennessee...

  16. kf4jqd

    kf4jqd Active Member

    Go to Train's in Vonore, Tennessee to see my caboose...
  17. Jim Krause

    Jim Krause Active Member

    Montana Rail Link is still using an occasional caboose on some of their locals.
  18. Chessie6459

    Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

    Great Picture.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. Hoghead

    Hoghead Member

    "The term "shoving platform" has been around for quite awhile. Many of the older cabooses or way cars have had their windows plated over and in some cases the doors may be welded shut and thus only provides a platform for a trainman toride when making long shoves.

    CSX has even taken the term further by as evidence in the link below, a flat car with hand railings and platform to stand on with an easy access emergency dump valve on both ends of the car.


Share This Page