Who says Cabooses are gone!!!

Palmisano

Apr 2, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I took this photo of a CSX Local in Cincinnati last week. Just the kind of train we like to model. A short local with a caboose.

Attachments

• CSX Caboose.jpg
    CSX Caboose.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 209

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Except they're not cabooses anymore. In railroad terms they are a "shoving platform."

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brain,Whats so strange about using the term caboose? I still here that term used on my scanner..Some times old terms hang around.

The NS uses a lot of cabooses in the coal fields for long reverse moves to the mines as does CSX..Shoot the CSX Marion switcher uses a caboose..:D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Dave,I have heard that term before in Trains magazine..I think Railfans use these new "catch" words far more then railroaders..A switch is still a switch in railroad speak and not a "turnout" as in model railroad speak.
As far as I am concern a turnout is a group of people at a event or what a fireman wears to a fire.:sign1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Larry,

My ca. 1930s Canadian National Maintenance of Way book lists "switches" as "turnouts". In fact, there are several fold-out illustrations of turnouts and wyes up to #20.

The guys at the local club who have had real-world CN experience also call cabooses "vans" for some reason. Local lingo I guess... ;)

Andrew

stump7

May 15, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Palmisano
Dispite all the semantics about "vans" and switches that is a great photograph. It's nice to see the prototype still has some

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
Do they call it a caboose or a crummy? Saw that at the local museum posted in the caboose never heard the word crummy before that.sign1

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Dave Flinn said:
Not only do old habits die hard; but new ones don't "hatch" very well. I never even heard the term "shoving platform" until reading this thread.
"The term "shoving platform" has been around for quite awhile. Many of the older cabooses or way cars have had their windows plated over and in some cases the doors may be welded shut and thus only provides a platform for a trainman toride when making long shoves.

CSX has even taken the term further by as evidence in the link below, a flat car with hand railings and platform to stand on with an easy access emergency dump valve on both ends of the car.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/OCtrainguy/Csx-platform.jpg