Who says Cabooses are gone!!!

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Palmisano, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Palmisano

Palmisano Member

I took this photo of a CSX Local in Cincinnati last week. Just the kind of train we like to model. A short local with a caboose.

Attached Files:

2. railohio

railohio Active Member

Except they're not cabooses anymore. In railroad terms they are a "shoving platform."
  3. brakie

brakie Active Member

Brain,Whats so strange about using the term caboose? I still here that term used on my scanner..Some times old terms hang around.

The NS uses a lot of cabooses in the coal fields for long reverse moves to the mines as does CSX..Shoot the CSX Marion switcher uses a caboose..:D
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

Old habits die hard for railroaders.
  5. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Not only do old habits die hard; but new ones don't "hatch" very well. I never even heard the term "shoving platform" until reading this thread.
  6. brakie

brakie Active Member

Dave,I have heard that term before in Trains magazine..I think Railfans use these new "catch" words far more then railroaders..A switch is still a switch in railroad speak and not a "turnout" as in model railroad speak.
    As far as I am concern a turnout is a group of people at a event or what a fireman wears to a fire.:sign1
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

My ca. 1930s Canadian National Maintenance of Way book lists "switches" as "turnouts". In fact, there are several fold-out illustrations of turnouts and wyes up to #20.

The guys at the local club who have had real-world CN experience also call cabooses "vans" for some reason. Local lingo I guess... ;)

8. stump7

stump7 Member

Hey Palmisano
    Dispite all the semantics about "vans" and switches that is a great photograph. It's nice to see the prototype still has some
  9. stump7

stump7 Member

Wow! What happened? Sorry Gang.
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

Andrew,I will take your word for that my friend since I know zip about Canadian railroads.:D I think the British uses turnout as well.:D
  11. brakie

brakie Active Member

No problem I took care of the oops! posts..:D
  12. Palmisano

Palmisano Member

I saw people in it too!
  13. who_dat73

who_dat73 Member

Do they call it a caboose or a crummy? Saw that at the local museum posted in the caboose never heard the word crummy before that.sign1
  14. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

I think the term "van" is rather universally used in Great Britain; and, in the US, the PRR called them "Cabin Cars", so there are lots of different words for the same useful little rail vehicle.
  15. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I even posted a CSX caboose on here! It's somewhere on The Gauge! The caboose runs all the time my my place, between Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tennessee...

16. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Go to Train's in Vonore, Tennessee to see my caboose...
  17. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Montana Rail Link is still using an occasional caboose on some of their locals.
  18. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Picture.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  19. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

"The term "shoving platform" has been around for quite awhile. Many of the older cabooses or way cars have had their windows plated over and in some cases the doors may be welded shut and thus only provides a platform for a trainman toride when making long shoves.

CSX has even taken the term further by as evidence in the link below, a flat car with hand railings and platform to stand on with an easy access emergency dump valve on both ends of the car.