Who makes the best Card Model Ship?

Huey

Which company makes the best Card Model Ship (In terms of accuracy, color, etc.)? Military Model, JSC, Fly Model, Digital Navy, GPM?

R

rickstef

Military Model, is also known as Halinski for those not in the know.

Seeing as to owning only one Military naval vessel, the JSC HMS Invinicible, 1:400 Carrier, so far JSC has my vote.

You should also add, CFM, with their Prinz Eugen, I have seen the reworked kit, and it is amazing, I even have a copy of the 1996 kit, which is now out of print(OOP).

just my two cents

Atomsk

Like Rick, I only own JSC ship kits, so I don't have a wide frame of reference.

I was a bit disappointed with the USS Helena, but I realized that this older kit was probably hand-drawn, while later kits like SS United States, and Edmund Fitzgerald, were drawn using CAD.

I am particlarly impressed with the construction of the SS United States. The frames of the waterline hull are supported by a base at the bottom, "sheer clamps" at the upper corners, and a triangular beam that runs through the center of each frame. Even this 1/400 scale kit looks like it will come out HUGE, and I can't wait to build it. However, I will, until I'm confident I have the skills to do it justice.

Jim Krauzlis

I would add that Hamburger Modellbaubogen Verlag (HMV) has some outstanding ships in their inventory that I have not started yet, but the color, detail, etc., is outstanding! I just got the U.S.S. Ticonderoga, and that is truly an amazing kit.

GPM had some great warships the detail, print quality and overall quality of the kit being outstanding, such as the ORP Pulaski (O.H. Perry class frigate) and another Ticonderoga, but both are out of print at this time. :cry:

I also have a number of JSC in 1/400, and for what they are in size they are pretty good, but I have to agree the later offerings are far better than the earlier one, to be sure.

I would also add CFM, again haven't built it yet, but the quality of the Prinz Eugen and Tarantul is amazing.

Fly's USS Constitution looks like an excellent model as far as print quality and amount of detail, but the color scheme and some of the fittings they call for (at least one or two that I have been able to pick out in reviewing this unbuilt kit) are a bit questionable...but I have a soft spot in my heart for this ship in any event. :lol:

Last, but certainly not least, the Shipyard series of sailing ships that I have sitting on the ways are very impressive, as Max has shown us with his Cleopatra. :D

Jim

barry

Best ships

I would have to add Gremir to that list as well, trouble is I couldn't vote as I have only built 5 ships lately and 2 of those were Zio's, what a pity he was taken ill before he did Bismark even tho his ships were in 100 dpi I still think they are amongst the best 1/400 ones.

Digital navy is brilliant, ok some of the latest offerings offer minute detail but he captures the essence of ships and they are buildable even a beginner would do a good job if he took his time. Be honest we probably all started on Admirable or one of his other freebies.

I like the small companies because they design ships that are out of the ordinary and they are on cd's.

I look at the printed book ones but the postage is too high for me.

My printer is crap and needs replacing so colours never really come out perfect but I don't care that much.

barry

PS I have to vote for Digital Navy

NOBI

Hi There,

Maybe change subject to which ship's model is the best in accurate and color not talk which publisher because 1 publisher can release many model from variuos designer (except Digital Navy what only Roman one man show) exsample GPM or Modelik what have many design work for them, some Ship from GPM is very good in color and accurate (also add some weathering inside) but some model is very bad looking :(

For me i cant decide what is the best becasue im not a big fan of ship but i like Bismark from Halinski :D http://www.konradus.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=47218&t=47218 but massive production of ship will give all credit to JSC what have a ton of waterline model ;) http://www.jsc.pl/