who knows this steam engine pic from 1912

cjfeltner

Jan 3, 2006
hazard, ky.
im new to model trains and i am looking forward to getting started. im wanting get a steam engine that is the same as the one that rolled into my small town (hazard,ky)in 1912. can any tell me what it is?heres a pic

Attachments

• hazardtrain1912.jpg
    hazardtrain1912.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 183

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
That looks to be a 4-6-0 "Ten-wheeler"---4 small pilot wheels in the front, 6 large driving wheels in the center and no wheels in the rear, tenders are not counted in the wheel arrangement. There are several close models out there made by IHC, Mantua and others, should have no problem finding it.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wish the photo was bigger, but from what blurry features I can see, the locomotive looks like a Ten-Wheeler.

Ten-Wheelers have a wheel arrangement of 4-6-0. 4 pilot truck wheels, 6 driver wheels, and 0 trailing truck wheels.

A number of manufacturers make Ten-Wheelers in HO... Bachmann has one I think, and a few others.

Hope this helps, pending a better photo. :D

EDITED TO ADD: Oops, Shaygetz beat me to it by less than a minute. :D

cjfeltner

Jan 3, 2006
hazard, ky.
1912tr-2.jpg

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Newtrainer----Your in luck! The others are right, it looks like a 4-6-0. Almost all the railroads used them in the early 1900's according to a lot Iv'e read lately. I just ordered one from Hobbyfrenzy.com. There are three road names to choose from and they look like the one in the photo. Manufactured by Bachmann and cost is $117.00 including shipping. I have had good luck with my Bachmann locos and will comment on how it looks and runs as soon as i get it.-----------John R

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The Bachmann Ten-Wheeler comes in two versions, a "high-" or "low-boiler". Your prototype appears closer to the low boiler version, which also comes with a similar-style tender and an extra cab, which more closely matches the prototype. I have two of the high boiler types, unfortunately with a larger tender. They're smooth runners and decent pullers for such small locos. Mine will need to be modernized before being put into service, though, as I'm modelling the 1930's.

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
The Rounhouse "Old-timer" 4-6-0 would be more appropriate. The loco in the pic has "D-slide" valves and uses Stevenson valve gear, which was common up to 1900, as opposed to Bachmann's model, which has Piston valves and uses Walcherts valve gear that came into vogue after 1900.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I would agree with Zedob. I have the Bachmann Spectrum version mentioned above, and it is too "new" in some aspects to be a close match. The Roundhouse engine (I also have one of those) has the older valves/valve gear, which will be most noticeable difference.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
zedob said:
The Rounhouse "Old-timer" 4-6-0 would be more appropriate. The loco in the pic has "D-slide" valves and uses Stevenson valve gear, which was common up to 1900, as opposed to Bachmann's model, which has Piston valves and uses Walcherts valve gear that came into vogue after 1900.

While the Bachmann Ten-Wheeler does have Walschaert valve gear, it is still a slide, or D-valve locomotive. It would be a relatively simple task to remove the most obvious parts: from the eccentric crank on the second driver all the way to the union link on the crosshead. You'd need to fashion a support for the rear end of the valve stem, but could probably utilize part of the valve gear frame for that.
There were even slide valve locos with Baker valve gear, and, conversely, piston valve locos controlled by Stephenson gear. Although it is commonly believed that piston valves were introduced with the advent of superheating, they were first used in 1832, while superheating wasn't in general use until about 1910. N&W operated almost 650 piston valve-equipped locos before obtaining its first superheater.
I think that the Bachmann loco could stand in for your prototype just as ably as the Roundhouse "Old Timer", and may be even more attractive if you plan on using DCC.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Andrew, the only prototype pictures I have are in the magazine articles from which the information was taken, and I don't, as yet, have a scanner. I did take a good look at my Bachmann Ten-Wheelers, and I see no problem with removing the existing valve gear. My plan is to modernize the locos by modifying the steam chest to ressemble a piston valve type. I've already completed one and when I get around to it, I'll try to get some photos to show how it's done.
The info on the valve gear comes from an excellent article in the May 1984 issue of Trains magazine, which gives diagrams and explanations of Stephenson, direct and indirect Walschaert, direct and indirect Baker, Southern, and Young valve gears.

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
doctorwayne said:
While the Bachmann Ten-Wheeler does have Walschaert valve gear, it is still a slide, or D-valve locomotive. It would be a relatively simple task to remove the most obvious parts: from the eccentric crank on the second driver all the way to the union link on the crosshead. You'd need to fashion a support for the rear end of the valve stem, but could probably utilize part of the valve gear frame for that.
There were even slide valve locos with Baker valve gear, and, conversely, piston valve locos controlled by Stephenson gear. Although it is commonly believed that piston valves were introduced with the advent of superheating, they were first used in 1832, while superheating wasn't in general use until about 1910. N&W operated almost 650 piston valve-equipped locos before obtaining its first superheater.
I think that the Bachmann loco could stand in for your prototype just as ably as the Roundhouse "Old Timer", and may be even more attractive if you plan on using DCC.

Wayne

I stand corrected. Excellent info Doc. I thought the valve chest on the 10-wheeler were piston valve and it was hard to tell from the thumbnail pic that I have. I don't have one of the Bachmann 10-wheelers, yet, but it's a coming.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
From a photo, I would've thought the same thing, especially with the Walschaert gear. I'd read the Trains article when I first bought the magazine, but re-read it a bit more closely when checking it to compose my remarks.
There was also a device called the Universal valve, or Economy Steam Chest, which was developed for saturated steam engines that had been fitted with superheaters. It was a complete outside admission piston valve and steam chest assembly which could be bolted on in place of slide valve steam chests. It utilised existing valve gear and steam ports, and thus was a relatively inexpensive way of obtaining piston valve efficiency and ease of lubrication without replacing the entire cylinder assembly. The photo accompanying the article shows a small, curved-top casting where the slide valve steam chest had been, but quite a bit smaller, relative to the cylinder, than a standard piston valve chamber. This is an option that I don't ever recall seeing modelled.

Wayne