who has a lot of n scale - who do you order from?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by fundamentalman, Nov 21, 2006.

1. fundamentalman

fundamentalman New Member

Where do you guys get your stuff? I have found several online vendors but I have discovered that nobody has everything I am looking for and some charge awful prices for shipping. So who has a decent balance of stock and shipping charges? I also would like to start working on things this coming weekend, and with thanksgiving this Thursday, well I think I am going to pay a lot anyway. Does anyone know if the UPS/FEDEX guys working on Friday?
  2. I had good experience for years with http://www.nscalesupply.com/ and with http://www.manhattantrains.com/
    You are right, there is no place that has everything. And, shipping takes time. But, the savings are substantial if you compare prices to a local shop. (That is what you pay for convenience and personal service...)
    You might also try http://www.4nscale.com/products.asp -- but, I only had one order from them.
    For terrain, IMO nothing beats good old plaster of Paris from Home Depot, used with paper towels on a carboard strip skeleton.
    Have fun this Holiday!
  3. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Brooklyn Locomotive Works
    - Inventory: :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Price: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Shipping: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: (package arrives before you log off your computer!)

- Inventory: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Price: :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Shipping: :thumb::thumb: (kinda slow)

N-Scale Division
    - Inventory: :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Price: :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    - Shipping: :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  4. Boilerman

Boilerman Member

2-8-2 has covered the 3 best Internet sites for having items in stock.
  5. 3railguy

3railguy Member

I was about to post N Scale Supply and 4 N Scale but Peter beat me to it. N scale supply has a very informative site. Decent prices too. They are quick to announce new products and they post pics of everything. They are very easy to navigate. They tell you running characteristics of the products and Micro Trains coupler conversion part numbers for the engines they sell.

I find it difficult to buy $10 or $20 items over the net as shipping often kills the deal.
  6. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Hi Peter. Welcome to the Gauge. :wave: :wave: If you click on the Model Railroad Links in my signature I have assembled a bunch of links to all sorts of sites pertaining to the hobby. Hope that this helps. :thumb:
  7. engineshop

engineshop Member

If you are looking for a online store that has everything, you will find out the prices are a little bit higher. If you got so much inventory you cannot be the cheapest.
    I found out, that every store has some special items to a great price and shipping is not that expensive that I try to get everything at the same price.

Here are some links to huge inventory stores (with sometimes higher prices)
  8. TexDoc

TexDoc Member

This is a good list and I have ordered from most of them. Another good dealer, competitive and fast on shipping is Neal's N-Gauge-ing trains.
    I have been dealing with him since 1988 and he is the main reason for my choosing N scale.
  9. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

10. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Meiriongwril, Doc & Wyatt. Thanks for the new listings. I have added them to the Hobby Shop page of my Links Pages. There's getting to be quite a few of them, but I know that there are more out there.
  11. NPRailer

NPRailer New Member

No one has mentiond TexNRails which has some pretty nice listing and search features. www.texnrails.com.

I have recently had a disappointing experience with www.internettrains.com Others may have had a different experience.

I think BLW (Brooklyn Loco Works) (www.buynscale.com) is great but communication (response to emails) is severely lacking. Prices and shipping are fine.

N Scale Supply has been great to work with. Very customer responsive, extensive line and good communication.
  12. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

1. UPS will not be running this friday, im so mad!, my stuff will be sitting here in IA, (my state) for 4 days not moving, it came from new york state., made it to iowa in a day and a 1/2. and will now sit for 4 days 2 hours from me, and then i will get it on monday.

2. i have been shopping at www.wholesaletrains.com they have the best prices out of 20 sites i looked at, shipping is 8.50 on most my stuff, up to so heavy.

but there have been some sites listed here that i have not looked at yet, so i think ill do that to.lol
  13. bigcozzz

bigcozzz New Member

Just ordered a bunch of track from ww.toytrainheaven.com. Very easy to navigate, good prices, only $8.95 shipping, large stock & fast service.//www.toytrainheaven.comwww
  14. 3railguy

3railguy Member

Toy Train Heaven has some dynamite blow out sales about twice a year...Check weekly.
  15. fundamentalman

Both UPS and FedEx delivered Friday. I will update with more information later.
  16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what!,,, ok im ******, UPS website said they was not running fri, i tracked my stuff to ottumwa IA, the last stop till my house, stopped in there both fri, and sat, both days closed all day. called them to, know answer. the lot was full of ups truck, all parked for the weekend, hardly ever see more then 2 in the lot on days there running.
  17. fundamentalman

Maybe they were closed in your area, but they delivered for me. But then I also paid extra for overnight.
  18. gearnoise

gearnoise New Member

If www.trainworld.com has it, it will almost always be the least expensive place to buy it, BY TELEPHONE!. I usually check what they have online, then call them to place an order. And they usually ship the same day you place the order. :thumb:

Note: If you choose to order online, the prices will be a lot higher! :curse:
  19. SuperChiefRules

SuperChiefRules New Member

wig-wag-trains.com is a very good site. they do go to some shows in the western part of the united states a couple times a year, but they post their schedule so you know well in advance if the are going to be gone. Their prices are some of the lowest I have seen. They do a lot to save $$ for us. For example, they dont have an atomated check out system, you have to email them. apparently this saves them money! I know that sounds like a huge ad for wig-wag, and it sort of is, but they are great people!
  20. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

My N-Scale collection I have is my dad's. A few of them were ordered off of Ebay and two were gifts from a friend. The rest of the equipment I have is all scratch built.