Who had out of the box problems with the O's?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

With the few threads lately along with my own experience I was wondering how many people have had problems with new train sets.

This Christmas brought into the house two new train sets from Lionel, an additional locomotive from Lionel, a train set from MTH and a RMT beep. For the record I had three problems.

The diesel from MTH took three days and some fooling around with wires to make it run, a Lionel CW 80 went dead after a few minutes and the RMT Beep bit the dust after just a few laps around the track.

The locomotives from the Lionel PE and PF sets don’t smoke that great with the CW 80. The MTH just doesn’t want to work the Pr0-2 with the CW 80.

The gem of the bunch was the Lionel Mikado complete with a cast tender. I just love this locomotive.

[FONT=&quot]So out of the 5 new products I bought three of them had problems out of the box. The good news everything but the Beep was taken care of. I bought everything but the Beep from my local dealer. The Beep is another story and one that tells you to try and buy from your local dealer.[/FONT]
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

What the heck is an RMT Beep?

And yeah, it seems like there have been a lot of complaints about new sets with problems. I wonder if part of it isn't all the newfangled stuff? It seems like they ran a lot better when it was just a train on a track and we didn'thave to worry about all the "bells and whistles." Yeah OK, Chinese construction might be part of it as well but I've often found that the simplest things usually work the best.
  3. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

A couple of years ago I did with K Lines Big Boy.

This year I bought the PE bagage car and it had a short, the wires were soldiered almost together on the pic up.

Otherwise I have been pretty lucky.
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

If you check, MTH does warn you that the CW-80 is not compatible with their engines. Did you try using the MTH transformer?
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

The Beep is a small switcher made by Ready Made Train.

I know it now about the CW 80 and I don't have the bell switch for my SW so in fact I did order a MTH transformer. Small issue that I wished I knew last week but I will live with that one. I didn't miss much though because the MTH locomotive wouldn't run on any transformer the wires that were held together by yellow wire caps were not together. It just took me a few days to troubleshoot it.

In any event it is working now and when I get my new MTH transformer I can even start to have some fun with it.
  6. Elcoholic

Elcoholic New Member

"This Christmas brought into the house two new train sets from Lionel, an additional locomotive from Lionel, a train set from MTH and a RMT beep. For the record I had three problems."

I didn't notice the name WILLIAMS there. Therein lies the problem or rather, in the case of Williams, NO problems. Williams makes trains like Lionel USED to back in the 1950's. They're not high-tech but nothing beats them when it comes to bang-for-the-buck. Never, and I mean NEVER, has one quit on me or failed to work perfectly right out of the box. Try Justrains.com. They have the best prices on Williams.....period.

Lionel has been resting on a reputation (more like name-recognition) that has died. Actually, it was murdered by (mis)management. The price to quality (value) ratio is the lowest in the industry. Out of 52 engines, NONE of mine are Lionel.

The Lionel CW-80 is the Edsel of transformers. I gutted mine and stuffed it with
    MTH Z-1000 parts to get a retro-looking transformer that WORKS! (Well, I couldn't just throw the damn thing out!)

The RMT Beep is complete and total junk. It won't pull a damn thing and won't run across most switches or cross-overs. I give it two thumbs down and a claw hammer blow to the cab. I am considering double-T-boning mine with two Williams SD-90MAC's going flat out but just haven't gotten around to it. (This is all part of playing with trains.)

Y'all have a happy New Year, hear?
  7. Illus

Illus Member

I have an RMT Beep, it runs like a champ. Got it LAST Christmas. Pulls just as good as my GP-9, and runs fine thru my switches... I even spent the $50 on the parts and upgraded it to TMCC w/sound & electrocouplers! I do agree with Elcoholic though, Williams does make nice equiptment.
  8. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Wow, that's the 1st negative review I've seen of the Beep. I've heard of it stalling on switches because of the very short length of the pickups. Some folks get around the problem by wiring 2 Beeps together. Most reports say it's a great little locomotive for O27 layouts, at a great price.

Anyway, regardless of whether you love or hate your Beep, Happy New Year to all!
  9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I have a love hate relationship with my Beep. The hate comes from it never working right out of the box. Even worse I have not been able to troubleshoot the problem yet. I'm not sure how much work I can do on it due to the type of electric motors it uses.

The love comes from it being a very cool looking locomotive and better detail than you would expect for the price. Iwill keep it because of this and the fact that it is ornage and black with the name Johnstown Plant Rolling Mill and Bethlehem Steel on the sides of it. Bethlehem was once the king of Johnstown.

But it does rank as a failure out of the box even if it does hold a special place in my heart. I'll let you know if I get it working, I would send it back but the little christmas store I bought it from is now gone and I lost my receit.
  10. bullitt

bullitt New Member

I too purchased a starter set for myself for xmas to get back into the hobby, last set owned was as a kid with a 1956 Lionel #1542. Been looking to do this for a long time and finally pulled the trigger on a Lionel Southwest Diesel Freight Set. I set it up yesterday and everything seems to work as advertised, I let it run at about 40% with all cars hooked up for about 45 minutes after running it at different speeds and reversing directions. My question is, is there a recommended break in procedure to follow?
  11. Geno

Geno Member

Unfortunately the poor quality control of offshore manufacturing is nothing new the the latest generation of o gauge trains. All of the O gauge train companies who employ Asian manufacturing companies fix the numerous warranty repairs for the most part, but it still obviously isn't very confidence inspiring to get an engine or train set and have it die on you new out of the box.

Most of us who have been in the hobby for quite some time have seen improvements in QC, but there's still a long way to go. It's frustrating, but in most cases you can get a replacement or wanrranty repair as long as your equipment is still under warranty.

If you think it's bad when your CW-80 dies or your beep doesn't want to go, it's worse when you're spending even more money for the latest-and-greatest scale diesel set or massive articulated steamer and it malfunctions. You have to have great patience, restraint, and calm since you know your investment is large and your only option is repair.

12. Cannonball

I was reading on another forum where a guy shelled out for the Acela from Lionel. The circuts that make the pantographs go up and down fried on him after just a couple of runs. When he contacted Lionel about it, they told him that repair parts were not yet available. What kind of carpe' diem is that? You pay $1,500- $2,000 for a train and there are no repair parts available when it blows up????
  13. Geno

Geno Member

Yep, this is a common occurence- circuit board failures and no spare parts from the manufacturer. It's amazing what poor customer service we put up with in O gauge, considering the cost of some of the top end trains.

The guy with the dead pantographs is still probably waiting for replacement parts. Unfortunately that's what you deal with when you go for the cutting-edge stuff. there are times when you can't even get an R2LC (TMCC command) board- an item that has been used for over 10 years by Lionel.

14. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

My transformer on my Union Pacific starter set was dead out of the box. I haven't got my replacement yet. My first set, very disappointing
  15. Geno

Geno Member

What brand of train set is it- Lionel? Let me guess- you're waiting on a replacement CW-80. hang in there- it's worth the wait.

16. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Don't get started on THAT again!:mad: :curse:
  17. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

Yeah, I'm waiting on a replacement. But, I don't even know if its been shipped yet, someone said something about lionel not shipping any orders until the 8th. So does that go for replacement parts too? I guess it does cause I called them on the 2nd and it's still not here and I live in Michigan where the cw80's are made. I'm thinking about going and getting another set tomorrow. I can get the penn flyer set for 127 out the door. That's pretty good price ain't it?
  18. Geno

Geno Member

If you bought your train set from a local hobby shop, especially a train shop, you should be able to swap out that defective unit with a replacement unit from the dealer- not sure if Lionel still has this program in place. But they did do that last year for all of the bad Cw-80's that were in alot of starter sets.

$127 is a good price for the Penn Flyer set, but I don't think I'd buy another train set set just to get a transformer- especially if it has the same questionable CW-80 in it. If you still have the bad CW-80 I'd try to get a replacement for it.

19. blagoiss

blagoiss New Member

oh, I'm not buying it strictly for the cw80. The replacement is on the way. The hobby shop "didn't" have any extras. They wanted me to exchange it for a different one, but I didn't want to do that. They were unwilling to open a set to give me a transformer out of. Needless to say I'm not buying anything else there. I bought it on sale 25% OFF and they couldn't guarantee me any type of price on my exchange until I got there. On getting the other set, I wasn't planning on it, but I figure there's close to 40 bucks in track in it plus with the cars and an extra loco. I came into some extra cash this weekend. so hey might as well. I'm dying to play with a train.
  20. Cannonball

A Penn Flyer would be nice to have for more than just the transformer. For $127, I'd jump on it regardless of whether I needed the transformer or not.