White Oslyabya and Subchaser (?)

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by tausugAir, Dec 27, 2004.

1. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Over at Navarin there are two downloads. The white Oslyabya that I've mentioned in one of my earlier posting. I rediscovered it plus the Submarine Chaser ( I guess based from the readme txt notes that go with the download). The site is below:

when there just go to the download. Btw, I've check the "Internet Finds" and I don't see these are mentioned therein. So I thought of posting it ...

Happy Holiday to all....

2. cygielski

cygielski Member

Now there's also a Douglas M-2 air mail biplane! Here's a direct link to the download page
  3. RonC

RonC Member

The white Oslyabya model from navarin.ru contains a lot of inconsistencies. It can be built (see my photo in main gallery - search on 'OSLYABYA' for my other notes) but is not for the faint-hearted!
  4. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi, RonC : ..... I didn't realized the free download (at the hands of competent modeler, such as you) would turned up a thing of beauty..Congratulations!!! (There's a message in the gallery quick reply from me....) My attempt on building the model is deterred, yes, by the inconsistency/ies.. I couldn't locate the "notes" being referred to with the "oslyabya"... Please, can we share this with you here....Thanks a lot! Regards to all...

5. RonC

RonC Member

Hi Muhammad,
    Thanks for the complement - flattery will get you everywhere!
    I'm a bit new to this site, and I added my notes to an old outdated thread.

Here they are again -

"I have been able to produce a model of the Russian battleship Oslyabya based on the free download at navarin.ru but the effort required quite a lot of 'kit-bashing' to get the parts to fit together. The Oslyabya is an interesting example of pre-dreadnought design and as construction proceeded it became a personal challenge to overcome the difficulties presented by this Russian download. It kept me occupied most of the year. The resulting full-hulled model is a satisfactory representation of the original ship (see photo in main gallery) which looks more like an ocean liner than a battleship, especially in its white Baltic fleet colour scheme. This model has an imposing presence, though it is not nearly so accurate in its detail as the version presented at digitalnavy.com.

For those that may be interested, here are some notes on the construction -
    1. All instructions are in cyrillic script but fortunately the part numbering is clear and there are some useful diagrams, including plan and elevation. However, the smaller parts have to be hunted down across the printed sheets, where they appear in no discernible order.
    2. The print file colours are in primary shades, so I adjusted the colours for the underwater hull and the deck. Although this model is of Oslabya in the white colour scheme, I found photographs on the web of the actual ship (and its sister, Pobeida) that showed the masts and yards should actually be coloured black from about the height of the top of the funnels upward. The model parts did not reflect this, and I painted them after construction.
    3. The hull framing is designed to be quite thick. I used balsa sheets to laminate the parts. The two sides of the keel are not consistent in their marking of the position of the hull cross sections - I chose the version that represented the more regular intervals. During this part of the assembly I found that at least three of the hull cross sections looked as if they belonged to a different ship altogether! Fortunately, enough of the cross sections were consistent with each other to enable a judgment about the likely underwater shape, so the odd ones could be modified. Above the waterline I suspect that the midships tumblehome shape is not sufficiently pronounced, but at that stage of construction the width at the top agreed with that of the main deck so I accepted it as it was.
    4. The skin sections for the underwater hull I found to be totally inaccurate. Curves shown as concave often needed to be convex! In the end, I used paper strips to plank the hull and establish a basic shape so that I could produce paper patterns for the hull skin by trial and error and use these to modify the supplied parts. Above the waterline, things went much more smoothly. Nevertheless, a gap appeared at the base of the gun sponsons (that was later partly concealed by the booms for the torpedo netting) and I slightly increased the height of the breastwork amidships in order to align it with other parts of the superstructure.
    5. The foredeck went on all right, but when I found that the after part of the main deck was the wrong length I was tempted to give up. Some of the sheets of parts seemed to be on a different scale to others. Maybe I had inadvertantly distorted the size during printing. After studying the small scale plan view of the ship provided with the instructions, I became reassured that the relative positions of turrets and superstructure were correct, so I now deliberately distorted the proportions of the deck part on page 10 until it fitted the length of the hull, then printed it again.
    6. The bridge superstructure, funnels and turrets presented no particular problems. However, it took some study to realise that the boat deck was supposed to be supported on tiny pillars, and that the walkways alongside the funnels needed to be lengthened with spare stock ( I had lots of extra prints of the decks by then) to meet up with the wings of the bridge. The ventilators by the funnels were way oversized. I cut them down to the correct height but that still left them over diameter.
    7. The lifeboat davits amidships are of a quick release type. The pattern provided in the download was crude, so I copied the shape from another Russian ship model (Admiral Ushenko). Patterns provided for masts and spars were adequate, and I fabricated a shelf for the torpedo netting based on photographs. Railings are of cotton thread stiffened with glue and the rigging is sketched out with piano wire. (I'm still looking for ways to achieve fine scaled rigging - maybe cobwebs...?)
  6. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hello, RonC ....Please...., mine is pure complement!!!! And, thank you for presenting these notes here. I find with first reading it's sort of daunting task to come up with a "white" Oslyabya that would come near yours! But, a BIG thank you for giving the pointers.....Regards....

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah............. very good model there Ron.

Looking at the download you really did do a lot of touching up.

8. cbg

cbg Member

Ditto on the nice build of Oslyabya. I've got the same kit stashed away for a rainy day. . .in your judgement can this model be "bashed" into a waterline version? Any hints you could pass along to that end?
  9. RonC

RonC Member

Oslabya from navarin.ru as a waterline model

Hi CBG,

Hmmm... a waterline version.
    The presentation of the hull sides gives you support for that concept, but there's no waterline markings on the keel or hull cross sections and no plan view at the waterline to form a construction base. A waterline version eliminates some problems but creates some others in their place.
    Measuring where the waterline should be on the hull cross sections won't be too hard. Fortunately the design of this ship is such that the main decks are flat and virtually parallel with the waterline so you can measure down from there to establish the waterline mark for each cross section, and transfer that to the keel as well.
    However, in the waterline models I've built, there's always been a base piece like a deck to support all the structure and ensure correct alignment. In this case, whether full-hulled or waterline model, you'll need to go back to traditional ship-building methods and base your construction on a very rigid and straight keel. I suggest laminating those parts with sheet balsawood to ensure adequate stiffness in the keel and cross pieces (paper card is another form of wood fibre, after all). You'll see from the plans that these pieces are intended to be almost 2mm thick. After setting up all the cross sections you'll be able to map out your own waterline base piece to stiffen the construction and keep the sides in place.
    For me, the full hull model provided a deeper keel and deeper cross sections with more gluing surface, giving the whole frame considerable rigidity right from the start.

Good luck
  10. cbg

cbg Member

Thanks, Ron.

I'll follow your suggestions and let you know how it goes. Won't be for a long while, though.

Happy New Year down under.
  11. RonC

RonC Member

White Oslyabya as waterline model

Hi CBG,

I'm sorry, I should have checked the Oslabya download files to refresh my memory before I got all exited and fired off my last answer... Its a long time ago since I put that frame together. Still that's no excuse for me not having checked before I replied.

The parts you will use as the base, and that stiffen the frame, are of course all there on sheet 2. Just check all the markings of the intersections with the cross members because the distances between them are sometimes inconsistent with those on the keel on sheet 1, but that fault is easily corrected.

Happy modelling
  12. Dod

Dod New Member

Hi to all!
    In here there are some photos of model "Oslyabya" from http://www.navarin.ru/.
    The author speaks, that had as many discrepancies and inconsistencies on this model too.
    Author of model Dmitry Hotkin wrote, that it was his first model made in 1995.
    Good luck