White LED's

Vic

I've been fooling around/experimenting with using white led's (Light Emittting Diodes) as a light source for loco headlights and certain building lighting situations. I haven't been able to find any smaller than 3MM.....Any body know of a source????

Woodie

VIc,
If you're careful, you can file them down with needle files. Especially around the base, to give a more "globe" affect, and/or paint then black or whatever around the base.

C

Catt

You can also drill holes in the end of the bulb(?) and insert fibre optics for your lights and remote mount the leds where ever its conveinent

Vic

For Catt & Woodie

Thanks for the tips guys....already knew about the filing but it had never occured to me about drilling a hole in the "bulb" and running fiber optic.

kf4jqd

White L.E.D.'s

Vic:

I use white LED's on some street lights. They look pretty good. You can get them at Radio Shack, but they are not cheap. Remember, we Hams can find stuff like this cheap at Hamfest! :D Did you go to Dayton this year?

Andy

Vic

Hi Andy, Gosh I wish I could have gone to Dayton but that's a bit of a trip for me at the present time. I have some of the white LEDS from R/S but looking for something smaller. I don't think at present they are being made. Just fooling around the other night and took one and put it in one of those little circuits that simulate an arc welder. Its sure a lot more realistic than a blue LED.

Hope to hear you on during Field Day. 73, Vic

Vic

Andy

We haven't decided on a callsign yet...may use the club calls W4CVY or K4FIZ. They usually use my call K4VIC for the 10 meter tech station. 73, Vic

kf4jqd

LED Lamp

Vic:

Here is a LED lamp taken with my new digital camera. It's not the best but it can web cam and take small videos!

Andy

Attachments

• ledlamp1.jpg
    ledlamp1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 131
Loco LED lighting

I was putting a decoder into an old Kato that has the one bulb in the center. I was thinking that if I could glue a couple of white LEDs into the carbody and then run wires down to the decoder....

Any thoughts on this idea?

Drew

Attachments

• im000634.jpg
    im000634.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 110

kf4jqd

LED's

Drew:

All you need to do is connect a 1000 Ohm (1K) in series with the LED. Also remember current only flows one way in LED's. So what will happen, the LED will go out when the loco is in reverse. Not big deal. The back ones can come on!

Andy

Vic

Hey Andy, I been using a 560 Ohm resistor on mine....I like 'em bright!!:D Course I don't uses any DDC and don't what output you may be dealing with. 73

Drew....be sure to attach the resistor to the positve lead(s) of the LED. That's the long one.:)

White LED headlights

Thanks for the thoughts on the resistors Andy and Vic. Now, have either one of you done the instals and have some tips or techniques to pass along?

Drew

Re: Tips & Tricks

Originally posted by kf4jqd
Drew:

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

Andy

Well Andy, I'm just not sure about things like glueing the LED's into the shell. What type of glue? Then I'd need a couple of inches of wire on each lead to reach down to the resistor and decoder. I'm just not sure that I could shove all that loose wire safely under the hood!! I have an Athearn SW1200 that I want to do as well, and there is even less room under it! I just don't want to get the lights nicely installed, and then I can't get the carbody back on!!! :mad: :mad: :confused:

Vic

Ideas

Hi Drew, Right now I don't have any particular ideas in mind on installing the LEDS.....Haven't owned a diesel loco in years....Steam Rules!!!:D

Doesn't seem that installing the LEDS in your switcher would be a hard job. Just need some real flexible wire so you can keep the wiring out of the way of everything. I use 30ga "flexwire" for lights and sound in my locos but its real hard to find.:(

While thinking about this I went over to one of my junk boxes and found an old flat cable that was used to connect the controller card to the motherboard of a computer. I cut the connectors off and pulled the individual wires apart and BINGO!!...nice 18" pieces of real small flexiable wire!!!:) :) Sometimes I amaze myself!!!:D :D :D