Whimsical Notions

CharlesH.

How many of you like to add a touch of the whimsy to your layouts? Any businesses with funny names? strange critters lurking in the woods? a living prehistoric switcher?

I usually like to sneak a little surprise inside building windows, one than another paranormal occurence in the nearby forest, and a host of other things that are best explained in pictures (of which I sadly have none).

I plan on including many whimsies, sight gags, plays on words, hidden surprises, and depictions of bad western movies in my 1880's steam layout. I consider it part of the fun.

Doc

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Doc Holliday said:
I plan on including many whimsies, sight gags, plays on words, hidden surprises, and depictions of bad western movies in my 1880's steam layout. I consider it part of the fun.

Doc

How much Back to the Future stuff you gonna use :) :)

Hey Mikey,
I hadn't thought of BTTF. I guess I'm not sure if if qualifies as a bad western movie or just a bad movie that was a western. But now that you've brought it up, anybody know where I can get a good deal on a used HO scale Delorean?
Doc

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Among other things I have industries named after friends, a couple that are references to "Seinfeld" and "The Simpson's" TV shows, Volstead's Bar, and a small recreation of the derailment scene from the movie, "The Fugitive". I always challenge visitors to find Dr. Kimball (he's wading in water under a bridge where an unaware state trooper stands). Its a fun part of the hobby.
Ralph

My inspiration to start my own layout came from seeing the Rock Ridge layout in Model Railroader. I really liked Baskin Robbins 1 Flavor. :thumb:
Doc

The Muddy Creek RR will be serving the largest Tofu feedlot and packing plant east of the Mississippi.

Tofu on the hoof brought to the feedlots up in the clearcut timberland, fattened & the white, wafer-thin cattle sent to slaughter. Reefers in and reefers out of the packing plant off to markets downstate.

I'm told this industry has a touch of whimsy though I fail to see it.

Wayne

neilmunck

I have a shop on my layout called 5 Points Imports, which is a front for an interplanetary smuggling ring in the book: Price of the Stars.

I am also in the process of building a bakery run by Bestiality Carter, from the Terry Pratchett books.

I have built a "Ruptured Duck" style rail car after the narrow gauge model made by the great John Allen, himself the master of subtle whimsy :)

I intend to add more :D

neil

Glen Haasdyk

I've built a railcar for my railroad's 'super' I too was ininspired by the car that John Allen built but I couldn't place the motor in it like he did so I built a small trailer with a 'spud' truck inside to push it around. Heres a quick pic or the car loaded onto it's own flatcar
aab.sized.jpg