While I'm waiting........

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by doctorwayne, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    I've only recently learned how to post photographs, and at the present time, depend on my daughter to do the photography. She's promised to show me how to use her camera, but until she returns, along with her camera, I've only a limited number of pictures to share. Most of them are already posted in other threads, so, while I'm waiting for her return, I offer this for your perusal.

    The 8414 started out as a Proto2000 USRA 0-8-0. After adding enough weight to get it to pull well enough to make it worth keeping, I stripped all of the piping from the loco, and disassembled it. To accomodate the CNR-style front end, I lengthened the frame between the pilot and the cylinders, then built a frame extension behind the rear drivers to duplicate the appearance of this area as seen in a prototype photo. The running boards were removed and the mounting slots filled, then new ones fabricated and installed in a lower position. New air tanks were cut from brass tubing, then filled with molten lead to improve tractive effort. A new headlight and scratchbuilt numberboard were added, along with all-new handrails and piping. The cab roof has been modified and raised numerals from Athabasca Models added. On the tender, the coal bunker has been opened up to allow for a loose coal load, and new handrails applied. Both locomotive and tender got new footboards built-up from brass bar. The model was airbrushed with Floquil paints and the lettering is from Microscale.
    The reason I've posted this here, rather than in Scratchin' and Bashin' is because even I have to admit that it's kind of a gratuitous post: I mean, nobody really asked for this picture or asked how to do this. I figure that here, most people just expect to see a picture. I hope you enjoy it.

  2. Gary Pfeil

    Gary Pfeil Active Member

    Excellant in oh so many ways! Love the loco but also the coaling structure and the bldg in the background, is that a flat or a photo on the backdrop? Composition is nice too. Nice shot and you don't need a reason to post!

  3. Chessie6459

    Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

    Nicely Done.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    Thanks, guys, for the kind words. The coal dealership in the background was mostly scratchbuilt. I designed it to try to disguise the excess height of the grade separation (done in the 1920's, when NYC controlled the Grand Valley). The columns are from Central Valley, with additional structural steel from Evergreen. The bunkers are built up from .060" styrene sheet (same stuff I used to build the "concrete" retaining wall), and the platforms are individual styrene "boards". There's a set of stairs just out of the picture to the left: that's from Central Valley, with the support work and all railings built up from strip styrene.
    The shed covering the tracks has a back of .060" styrene, since that side is not normally viewed: the inside is pretty dark, but I installed lots of latticework "X" bracing to make it appear more detailed. The end walls are Campbell corrugated sheets glued to an open structural frame, as is the roof, which is removeable and has a fully braced system of scratchbuilt trusses. That's probably why I made the roof removeable: you can't see the truss work under normal viewing.
    Just visible behind the tender is the truck scale and part of the fence (Campbell siding again) which runs along the street side of the business. There are working gates for the delivery trucks and, behind the bunkers to the left, a two-storey brick office building, constructed from some Walthers' brick sheet and sheet and strip styrene. Just visible above the cab of 8414 is the stable for the horses used to pull the delivery wagons, although of course, as you can see, we also use trucks.
    The large structure to the rear is P & M Languay - Pump and Compressor Division. It was built using the Walthers' waterfront warehouse, two kits, with three of the long walls,plus one end wall assembled together facing the viewer. Another end wall was used on the left end at the upper track level, with a scratchbuilt lower section on the street below. The end wall to the right and the back wall is more .060" styrene, as is the roof and clerestory.
    The large water tower at the extreme right is one of the Grand Valley's standard city water towers, courtesy again of NYC. I built three of them: the support structure is more Walthers' brick sheet, with a "concrete" top of .060" styrene. The door is from MDC/Roundhouse. The tower is a large, heavy cardboard tube with a .005" styrene wrapper, with rivet detail embossed with a pounce wheel. The roof cone is .015" styrene and the ladder is from Central Valley. You can just see the tip of one of the two scratchbuilt water columns that serve this area. Although the track isn't visible in the photo, this is the double tracked main line which runs past the Grand Valley's Central Station and corporate headquarters, just out of the photo to the left. (Part of this structure can be seen in the background of the photos in the Scratchin' and Bashin' Forum, "kitbashed headend equipment". Because of the distance between the two main lines and the fact that I wanted the water column to be able to service both tracks, the Tichy column was not useable. I ended up using Grandt Line spouts, with the column, base, and counterweights made from styrene strip and tubing, along with some brass wire and chain and the tip from a Bic pen.
    Once again, thanks for your interest.
  5. zedob

    zedob Member

    Ok, now that you've teased us with this wonderful scene, we demand more. Tell your daughter to hurry up.

    Beautiful modeling.

Share This Page