• Neither, its out and back

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, I was looking at the N Gauge setup I had out this evening and I got to thinking that whenever I run my trains, it is always in the same direction. So I was wondering how everybody else does theirs. So here is your chance to vote (and maybe even post :eek: ) on which way your layout runs. Of course, it helps if you have a looped layout, but I'll include a choice for you out and back people.... :rolleyes: ;)

Michael

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Originally posted by Freelancer
I have a two mainline layout, I like to run one clockwise, and the other counterclockwise. I think it looks cool when two trains come together.

OOOOOooooohhhh! I bet that looks really good. So when are you gonna post some pictures for us to drool over?

Michael

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
On my layout trains would normally run clockwise because of the location where they "enter" the layout. I run trains to the top of the ridge on the branchline with the engine on the down side. So, I have to reverse direction on the main loop and run counter-clockwise to enter the branch.

Does that make any sense? :confused:

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I have a two track main-line with two "cross-over loops" which will allow trains on either track to go to a "branch-line" and return on the other track. If I align switches correctly, I can run one train out on one mainline track, have it run onto a "branch", then have it join the other main and continue on to the next "branch", eventually returning to its original run. This makes for a pretty good "run", about 5 minutes at a fairly realistic scale speed. The track plan is adapted from an Armstrong plan but, I can't remember the name. Someone borrowed the plan book years ago and, I'm sure, is still getting good use from it!

Therefore, I can say I run trains in both directions about evenly.

Dick

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
When I finish mine it will be similar to freelancers - a double track Main with a branch continuous loop also. Track Plan on the Track plan forum.

I just tried out the DCC set on it and had 3 trains running 1 clockwise the other two counter clock. It looked neat even without scenery and I am just beginning. I had to take it down though to finish the wiring. If I kept the command set there I would never get anything accomplished.:D :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
On my current branch line layout two locals leaves the yard,one goes to the Lancaster Industrial Park and the other to Logan.They switch the industries and return to the yard.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I like the out and back type operation. But my layout is designed solely for operation by one person. (Two if someone wants to switch in the yards). If and when it ever gets finished a round trip could take up to an hour depending on how many way stops have to be made along the route.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
What gives?

178 views and only 38 votes? C'mon guys, make a choice and vote.

And no, this is not a post just to move this poll back up in the listing (although a sticky would be nice....).

Michael

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here you go Michael, I'll move this back up in the listing. :) I run trains in both directions so I can have meets in which one train takes a siding to allow another to pass. As I mention in another thread I'm not really "operating" yet but this is a start. One odd thing though, a couple of my locos negotiate curves better in one direction than the other! I'll try to get to the bottom of this with closer examination of track gauge, loco wheels, etc., but for now have assigned some of the roster to Eastbound and others to Westbound to keep me from blowing a gasket over derailments!
Ralph