Which was the Mars light?

Whistleblower

Feb 1, 2005
Camarillo, CA
I'm modeling mid-20th Century D&RGW - for their F7A units, which headlight was the Mars light? -- upper or lower? And if you know, did D&RGW dim rear-facing (non-Mars) lights, or turn them off completely?

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Whistleblower,
Howdy fellow Rio Grande dude! Well I'm not 100% certain but I read someplace that most roads had the Mars or Gyra lights mounted in the upper position partly to make them more visable and that the mechanics of the light unit were too heavy to be mounted on the front door. Now having said that I'm sure that wasn't always the case and I'll probably get corrected. Tell you what, I'll ask this question on the Yahoo D&RGW group and see what that gets us, (plenty of old Grande guys on that group). I'll keep you posted. So tell me more about your modeling and stuff.

2slim

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Whistleblower,
Think I got a answer:

Top - single clear gyrating Mars light
Bottom - 7 individual bulbs as-delivered; later converted to recessed twin Pyle

For the original 7-bulb configuration you could try drilling the pattern in
a blank styrene or brass disc, then use the smallest Details Associates
lenses. If they are too large try fiber optic stock.

For the converted twin Pyle start with the Details Assoc external twin Pyle
conversion and file it to fit into the headlight casing.

Enjoy,

Jim Eager

In case your wondering Jim has authored, (and co-authored) several excellent books on the Rio Grande and is a fine historian on the subject.

2slim

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Yea, he didn't respond to that one, only to say "what do you mean, reverse running?" I took reverse running to mean if an ABA set was working as helpers, how would the lights on the end A unit be displayed. My guess would be a dimmed, (rule 17) lower light and lit numberboards. But that would be if the hack was steel underframe, if not, then the helpers would be cut in front of the caboose and then it would be lights out on both A's. In fact, I have the Rio Grande Oddissy DVD and on many trains the crews would cut the helps in ahead of the steel cabooses out of habit. So what part of the grande are you modelling? I presume HO? And if your concearned with lighting you must be using DCC.

2slim

Whistleblower

Feb 1, 2005
Camarillo, CA
HO is correct. I'm not in DCC yet, but will be shortly. That's the reason for the question - I'm planning to install a Soundtraxx decoder/sound unit in the A unit, and I want the lighting to be prototypical. Thanks again for all your help.