Jul 28, 2006
New Jersey

Attachments

• BBPRR Paint Original 2.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 14

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Mountain Man said:
The latest version of XTrkCad - 4.01 - does not allow layout planning in narrow gauge; therefore, you will not be able to compile a list of needed trackage nor test-run any narrow gauge equipment.

That's a bit suprising. The previous version seems to have support for lots or narrow gauge scales. Some don't have any track libraries, many do. And you can custom create turnouts and stuff. I am suprised this went away.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Linux 4.0.B4 certainly has narrow gauge. There are two drop down boxes, one for scale, and one for gauge. The gauge box is linked to the scale selected, and its contents will vary accordingly. There are six track gauges available for HO scale, standard, N3, N3.5, N2, N2.5, and M, whatever that is (meter gauge, perhaps).

Edit: I just pulled down 4.0.1 for Winders from xtrkcad.org, and I see no difference.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Torpedo said:
Linux 4.0.B4 certainly has narrow gauge. There are two drop down boxes, one for scale, and one for gauge. The gauge box is linked to the scale selected, and its contents will vary accordingly. There are six track gauges available for HO scale, standard, N3, N3.5, N2, N2.5, and M, whatever that is (meter gauge, perhaps).

Edit: I just pulled down 4.0.1 for Winders from xtrkcad.org, and I see no difference.

When I pull down the selection menu, there are only standard gauges except for - IIRC - ON3. HO is just that, without the previous ability to design in HON3 or HON30.

I didn't see one at the site - is there another free registration code? That might explain it...

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Mountain Man said:
When I pull down the selection menu, there are only standard gauges except for - IIRC - ON3. HO is just that, without the previous ability to design in HON3 or HON30.
A picture may help. This is what I am seeing.

4.0.1 is Open Source. There is no registration code or process.

Attachments

• XtrkCadCapSm.jpg
    XtrkCadCapSm.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 60

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Torpedo said:
A picture may help. This is what I am seeing.

4.0.1 is Open Source. There is no registration code or process.

I like that interface. That's an improvement over the older version, with the scale and gauge combined in the same pulldown.

Jeff

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Torpedo said:
I have it running on Linux. It was a simple download and install from the Debian archive. No hoops involved, but I have only played with it a little, so I can't really comment on how well it works.

It is version 4.0, BTW.

Edit: Oops, the quote didn't mention the name. It is XTrkCad.

I have it running on Windows 2000. I use the Ubuntu distro for Linux, there is an Xtrkcad package on the Ubuntu repository . I can draw track plans but after adding a sectional track I have to press enter several times to get rid of various messages about missing ISO fonts.
I might try to compile from source or install the Debian version package ( the .deb )
Or get myself an extra hard disk, install Gentoo and compile from source.
I agree, the learning curve is a real pain in the neck but it's free ( as in free speach and free beer :) ) plus it has libraries for a bunch of N scale secional tracks and turnouts from the main N scale manufacturers: Atlas, Peco, Kato and Fleischmann.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Biased turkey said:
....Or get myself an extra hard disk, install Gentoo and compile from source.....
Why, that won't get you the missing fonts any easier, will it?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Torpedo said:
Why, that won't get you the missing fonts any easier, will it?

Good point, I'll try to install Microsoft fonts first.
I googled the Ubuntu Linux forum and found a tip:
You can also install microsoft fonts (like times new roman, etc) by installing the package msttcorefonts.

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Biased turkey said:
Good point, I'll try to install Microsoft fonts first.
I googled the Ubuntu Linux forum and found a tip:
You can also install microsoft fonts (like times new roman, etc) by installing the package msttcorefonts.

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
Makes sense. I have that package installed and did not get the error.

I think that Debian may install that one by default. I can't remember not having it installed. Could be just my lousy memory, though. :rolleyes:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Torpedo, it didn't work.
Next step will be to remove the Xtrkcad package downloaded and installed from the Ubuntu server , then download and install manually the .deb package downloaded from a Debian server.