Which steamer is better?

Evan

Hi,

I'm going to be getting a steam engine in a months time. My first. So, I've narrowed it down to either:
Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0
Bachmann LIght Mtn 4-8-2
Model power 2-8-2.

Can people to own these give me their comments, please?

Thanks

absnut

My first choice would be the 2-8-0. The 4-8-2 is a fine engine but doesn't seem to have as much pulling capacity as the 2-8-0. I have three of the 2-8-0's and two of the 4-8-2's and am very happy with all of them. I have not heard good things about the last one on your list.

Dick

Hi Evan,
Like Dick mentioned the 2-8-0 is a great steamer with lots of pulling power. I would also give consideration to the MDC 2-6-0 which is another great runner and puller. Dick also mentioned the 4-8-2 and was right on with the pulling power problem. I bought two and neither one would move at all. I returned them for that reason. There was something about the traction tires not being low enough mentioned on several forums. I don't know if the problem has been corrected or not but sure Bachman will come up with a fix. I have one of the Model Power 2-8-2s and with about twenty hours running time ten cars is about all it will handle.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:

absnut

Ron is right on about the MDC 2-6-0. I recently got two off ebay for $70 each and they are sweet little things...... smooth, quiet, and good pullers. I have no problem with the motor in the tender. Bachmann, for some inexplicable reason, chose to put the 4-8-2's traction tires on the thrid axle wherein lies the problem. Some have removed that axle and put thin shims under the mounting blocks while others have pulled the blocks on that axle and rotated them 90 degrees. Either fix is alleged to improve tractive effort but....... I don't like to disassemble anything unless it's a dire necessity! :eek:ops: On their latest release of the 4-8-4, Bachmann chose to put the traction tires on the third axle, too, and the new Northern won''t pull as much as the older Northerns even though it runs much smoother and quieter.

Dick

Evan

Hi,

What do you guys think of the Bachmann 2-6-2? I would like to get at least 2 steamers, and the 2-6-2's are only going for about $45.00 each (a friend is travelling to US in November, so will be picking these up for me).

Thanks

Hi Evan,

I would stay away from the 2-6-2 as its a toy like loco. Your not going to get a decent steamer in that price range. If your friend is going to be buying it for you maybe he could have a 4-8-2 test run and get a good one. I have heard some of them run find.

Ron :thumb: :wave:

Hi Evan,

I know nothing about the new Bachmann 0-6-0 steam engine. I feel the price of less then thirty dollars tells all.Only one manufactor I deal with handles it and has this to say about it. Go to Sales@nscalesupply. The only other top quality loco I would recommend would be the Kato Mikato. I have six and they all run very well and great pullers. Hope this helps.

Ron :thumb: :wave:

absnut

To play the Devil's advocate on this one..... I have two of the bachmann 0-6-0's and, considering the price, they're really not bad running critters, a little on the fast side. What gives them an "edge" is that besides pick-up on the loco wheels, they also pick up electricity from the lead truck on the tender. I have ordered a newer version as I have heard it runs even better than the old. Whether or not it has a new motor remains to be seen. Bachmann redesigned the 4-8-4 and did a nice job of it: split frame, new motor, better pick-up, and blackened wheels and rods. Even the boiler casting seems a little "crisper". The new 0-6-0 appears to have the new blackened wheels and rods but, I will have to wait 'til my new one comes to determine if anything else is "new" about it. I have not heard if the 2-6-2 has also undergone changes.

Dick