Which S scale couplers?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lackawanna Jim, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Hello again, all...

This is again another effort to gather some information for a project.

To all S scale modelers here on the Gauge:

I understand that HO scale Kadee number 5's have long been popular, since they are close to scale. My questions are:

Which couplers do you use? Kadee HO or S scale couplers, or something else?

Thanks for your input!

Jim :)
  2. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

I've been using Kadee #5's for my Sn3 stuff, but I'm currently converting to the Kadee #58. It is smaller then the #5 so I think it looks better on the narrow gauge stuff.

3. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

I use the flyer couplers so have no personal experience with these. One of our club members has converted all of his SHS, American Models, et.al. to Kaydee. He's been modeling quite a while and is very particular about how things look AND run. Don't know which Kadee model he chose.

P.S. How many product survey questions do i have to answer before i get a free sample? :)
  4. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

5. Again - thanks all for your valued input.

Joe- I remember about a year or so ago being directed to the Sergent website - those are really cool! Very realistic looking, IMHO...

I look forward to reading more...

6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I use the HO #5 and S scale couplers. The On3 couplers are exactly the same as the S. They work together fine, but I don't use magnets either. The Seargent are supposed to mate with the Kadee's. I don't plan using them for my cars, but may try them on a couple of engines. The Seargent couplers do look good.

7. Thanks, Greg;

Not being an S-scale modeler myself (HO for me), do you use the HO #5's and the S-scale couplers together?

8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I started with #5's in 1984 with my AM FP-7. I found that I have no problem mixing them and running them together, the S scale couplers and #5's. IMHO, the #5's are a tad small and On3/S are a tad large. But for operations, both work well. I hope Kaslo's new hoppers are made to accept the S scale couplers.