Which Paper type will be used?

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by lionminister, Mar 19, 2008.

1. lionminister

lionminister New Member

which paper i should use to print PDF files. should i have to use A4?
  2. josve

josve Active Member

Do you need a special kind of paper for printing PDF files??
    I use plain 80grams copypaper.....

But if you mean what kind of paper to use for printing parts for a model from a PDF file, I would say 160-200grams paper in A4 format.
    The paper used in kits are very often around 0,2mm -0,3mm thick.
    For parts to be rolled against other objects use 60-80 grams paper.
  3. lillorizzo

lillorizzo New Member

It's easy to find 160 gr/m2 paper and the results are good. I sometimes use 300 gr/m2 paper which is more expensive but the results are better, at least for the sturdiest parts of the models. For lighter parts even the 80 gr/m2 paper is good but not for the main structures...
  4. Rashura

Rashura New Member

Doesnt that depend on the size of the model?
    Because i have made 2 character models of about 25-30cm in height and normal 60-80 grams paper worked perfectly.
  5. papercraftcouple

papercraftcouple New Member

we think it really depends on the size of the moidel and also if heavy bits will be supported by thin bits etc then the card would have to be thicker we use a range from 120gsm up to 200gsm
  6. howdysmithy

howdysmithy New Member

what does this gsm mean? im abit confused with all the paper terminology never knew it could be so detailed
  7. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

It is weight of paper in grams per square meter.

And it depends mainly on how the model is designed. If there are large flat surfaces, you can even end using thick cardboard as a laminate. If there are rolls, standard office paper is (sometimes) enough.
  8. weft1630

weft1630 New Member

Paper weights get confusing when some people talk metric, others English. Luckily almost all packages of paper at office supply stores show the paper weight in both pounds and grams, saving me from having to carry a conversion chart. Cheers, Morris.
  9. jappert

jappert New Member

At this moment 80gsm is enough. Latest project was Lineage 2 Drak Elf and with 80 gsm it was easy to build. At this moment i'm building war machine out of 80 gsm and at some locations i have tot double the thicknes. As long as 80 gsm works good enough it will be used.