which layout should i go with?

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
CNWman said:
how big are you going for? I know a 4X8 can't hold that

A size would help. If that's a 4'x8', I'd guess you've got some 2" radius curves there. You might be able to get a 4 wheel locomotive around it...but probably not any cars after it. :)

HOtrainman

Jan 15, 2007
McKinney, TX
CNWman said:
how big are you going for? I know a 4X8 can't hold that
it is a 5x8 layout.

in the first, there is a key at top- 3 squares= 1 foot

in the second, every 4 squares= 1 foot

nkp174 said:
A size would help. If that's a 4'x8', I'd guess you've got some 2" radius curves there. You might be able to get a 4 wheel locomotive around it...but probably not any cars after it. :)

not drawn to scale

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Can't really say. Without knowing the scale you are modelling in, the number of buildings and their sizes, your plans for industries or logging or whatever and all the rest, I can't really tell what you've got in mind.

That being said, the first one looks a tad more reasonable than the second one.

My final answer would be: Whichever one you like best. :)

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Assume a bare minimum 18" curve -and that's radius, not diameter. You'll probably be disappointed at what can fit. Not that it's not possible to build a layout in this space - far from it. However, you won't be able to fit all sorts of meandering interconnected tracks.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
But it is drawn to scale--4 sqares=1 foot is "drawn to scale." I realize this is a rough sketch, but some of the curves indicated would have to be no more than 4-5" radius, which is too tight for just about anything, even in N scale. Quite frankly, neither track plan is physically possible in the real world, and so I can't recommend that you pursue either one. I would recommend either downloading some track planning software (Atlas has a free track planning software), or buying some sectional track so you can actually get a sense of the size of the track and what will fit where.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

There isn't much point in drawing the table to scale but not the track. You'd have difficulty fitting that much track in a large room, let alone a small table: unless that table is a TARDIS you simply can't fit either of those track plans into a 4x8 space. Don't let my grouching discourage you, though: take a look at track plans online and in books, play around with the track-planning software, and you'll get a better feel for what works and what doesn't.

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
jetrock said:
I would recommend either downloading some track planning software (Atlas has a free track planning software), or buying some sectional track so you can actually get a sense of the size of the track and what will fit where.
Another solution for playing with ideas is simply to get ahold of a drafting compass -- even a simple school one will do -- and set the points for a scale 18 inches. That is the tightest curve you can consider. It's a tough lesson when you first try it out, as you can't get in a lot of complexity that your brain is imagining. It's a very sobering exercise, but definitely necessary to bring the thing into reality.