Which is more realistic(domes)?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Which technique for producing domes is the most realistic: Pie-shaped sections, concentric circles, or spirals?
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I think it depends on the model. The spiral or pie-shapes may be the best in terms of curve accuracy, but I prefer the concentric circles for turrets, nose cones, bombs.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I feel the same way. I hate the pie shaped thing the most (petals)
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What about Triangles? ala Geodesic Dome?

*you are feeling sleepy*
  5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yeah, and if you want to know how long each side of the triangles need to be in order to make a dome check out the Dome Calculator at Desert Domes.:)

I have used the calculator to make quite a few domes of different frequencies, some small, some big enough to get inside. Materials used were plain paper or cardstock for the small ones, corrugated cardboard boxes for the large ones. Most furniture and appliance stores don't mind you getting the discarded boxes out of the dumpsters.:)
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

The dome I was thinking about was like a satellite dish. I don't really like geodesic domes, because of the faceted shape, i.e. it's not smooth, and I don't think it would work very well for very shallow domes(like the tops of the City Destroyers in Independence Day) which is what I want to make.
  7. Anything small you are really forced to go with the truncated cone method*. For larger stuff IMO I find what I call a modified Lune Method works well. It consists of faceted lunes that originate from the center of the dome rather than the base. Normally there are six panels per lune with up to 24 lunes per hemisphere. The method also works for shallow domes and ellipsiodal ones too. But the numerous joins require careful knife work and assembly.

*Unless you want to go with the casting method Gil was researching a couple of years ago. Plus he had great success with compound curves in metalized paper.
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try This

Attached is an unfolded Golf Ball sized hemishere.

Attached Files:

9. Try wet forming. I made a perfect dome using a light bulb for a form. following my forming technique you can end up with no seams, paint and whalla. See real space for my forming method
  10. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Where is real space?

I'm interested in learning more about that technique you use.
    Where is "real space"?

Clueless in Canada.