Which HO Track do you use a majority of?

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
Code 83 flex. To me, it's a good compromise between "realistic" and "durable". After I started using code 83, the code 100 had to go! Now I'm playing around with some code 70 on less-used sidings (with plenty of weeds!).

N

nachoman

if I was putting together an HO standard gauge layout my ideal would be code 70. I would probably handlay most of it. Reality says I would use code 83 atlas because I can more easily get that at the LHS without having to special order.

Kevin

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I use the first one -- 1. Code 100 Store bought (atlas, bachmann ez track, flex) -- because I run a mixture of very old (anywhere from 30- to 45-years-old) stock as well as brand new. Code 100 seems to work well for all of these, although I realize it's not as realistic looking.

Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The module standards I follow (Welcome to the HOTRAK website) recommend Code 100 for the double mainline (mandatory at interfaces), so that's what I use. On the freemo (single main) modules, Code 83 is permitted, so I will use that.

Manufacturers - Atlas flex (100 & 83), Walthers/Shinohara turnouts (83) and Peco (100).

Andrew

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I used code 83 brown-tie flex track and Atlas code 83 brown-tie #6 switches for my entire layout. Except for one spot (my fault with the poor soldering) I have no issues at all. All my switches are operated with caboose hobbies ground throws.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I mix, well plan on mixing. My hidden track will be code 83 and the mainline will be code 70. I model the early 1900's and the 70 is a good compromise between looks and reasonable reliability. I'm also planning on using Central Valley Ties instead of hand spiking. I wouldn't handlay in any scale below S scale. Except for using real wood for the ties I don't think it looks any better than some of the newer HO scale molded track.

I used to model narrow guage and used Railway Engineering code 55 and never had any major tracking problems, but I think I'll stay with 70 for the main due to the fact that most of the smaller pre 1900 engines HO scale locos were made by the likes of TYCO and BAchmann's cheaper line and the flanges may be questionable.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Our club standard is Atlas code 100. My logging spurs off of the mainline are code 70 for appearance sake. With the steep grade on the logging line, nobody is seriously going to try to run modern diesel loco's. It might be fun to try. Since we run a coin operated system for museum visitors, the code 100 gives dependability for un-attended operation on the main lines.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
code 100 flex. My stock varies in age from new to about 50 years old and that includes my locos, so this works well for me.

I'm in exactly the same boat. Much of my stock is 45-years-old or older (some of which I inherited; and others I've recently bought) plus a lot of brand new stock. So code 100, especially code 100 Peco track, seems to be the best option.

Rob

I'm trying Model Power Code 100 flex track for the first time. It takes some getting used too since it stays in place when you bend it and the inside rail is very hard to move, unlike Atlas which you can just pull out. I have to remember to bend it first before forming a curve so the inside rail can be cut first before laying it down, otherwise it is always too long. But over all I like it so far. We'll see how it is preforming a year from now.

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
Has anyone used Model Power Code 100 Flex track? I bought some and it is kind of yellowish. :confused: It also stays in place when flexed. It seems to be a lot less forgiving than Atlas code 100 flex track.:?

Comments?

I have a mixture of Code 100 track in a hidden staging yard & some of it is Model Power. Since it holds its shape once you bend it (unlike most other flex track), I like to use it for curves coming out of turnouts leading to the spur tracks in the yard.

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
Has anyone used Model Power Code 100 Flex track? I bought some and it is kind of yellowish. :confused: It also stays in place when flexed. It seems to be a lot less forgiving than Atlas code 100 flex track.:?

I tried some of that. It said Flex on the display, so I bought it thinking it was true flex track that folks at my club suggested I use. After 3 weeks fighting it, I brought a stick into the club. They chuckled quite a bit then showed me what they meant.

Oh, and I use 100 flex and atlas turnouts.