Which goes first?

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Mike B, May 8, 2005.

1. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Got all my track layed, and have tested it for several months while I collected all my buildings. Ready to start landscaping. It would seem to me that it would be best to paint my foam surface and apply ground cover BEFORE I ballast the track. It would seem that painting after ballast would get paint on ballast edge, and ground cover foam in the ballast.

Since this is the way I have it figured, I am sure that it is wrong for some other obvious reason I am missing!!

So, is there a RULE of THUMB as to "Which goes first"?
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The rule on ballast is "whatever works for you." If you wade through all of the various threads that have been put on The Gauge over the years, you will see that there are nearly as many ways to do it as there are members. Your way sounds like a good one to me.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

It's your choice. Me, I've got all my ballasting completed and can run trains, while I take my time with the scenery. Think about it, grass, weeds and other plants grow long after the tracks are ballasted and you should expect some growth in the ballast in the real world, so why not in my world? I also think it's easier keeping the green out of the ballast than keeping the ballast out of the green stuff., but then, that's my choice. As Russ says, do whatever works best for you.
  4. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I expect there should be some plant growth at the edge of the ballast. In fact, I was planning on running a very small slip of grass centered between tracks in my small yard.

Maybe I am too concerned with getting the ground cover stuck in the paint. I want to make sure i get all the BLUE covered. Would be nothing wrong at all with painting the edges around track bed, then ballasting, and then sticking the ground foam with the diluted glue spray.

I am probably over complicating the whole thing!!!
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Are you overcomplicating the whole thing? Nah, it's everything else in your life that's too complicated.:eek: Honest, there's no set rule, if you try something and it doesn't work, or you don't like the way it turned out, try another way and do it again. That's the great thing about this, it's a hobby and should be fun, not complicated. You answer to no one but yourself in your world. :wave:

Oh yeah, if you're afraid to not getting all the blue covered, paint it tan before putting on either the ballast or ground cover, that way if you miss anything, it looks like dirt. :D
  6. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

I do it the way nature/time does it. The rock was there before the ground/dirt was there The dirt was there before the grass...... the track rusted and weathered before the ballast was put there. The track and ballast was there before the weeds grew. Fences were put in after the grass grew, however weeds grow up after the fence was put in. That sorta thing. Sometimes there are exceptions like you need to put the track down before building the tunnell entrance, but these things become pretty obvious. :cool: Good luck with it all, and show us some piccies as you go. :thumb: