Which Direction Do You Run Your Trains?

RobertInOntario

This is a question that I've just recently been thinking about!

I run my trains clockwise -- it would now seem strange to run them any other way! I also do this so I can back them into sidings, uncouple them, and move the loco on to pick up other trains (BTW, which is actually more prototypical: to back them into siding or to run them in loco first?).

Someone at a train show recently told me that running them constantly in the same direction would not affect their wheels but might affect their motors -- I suspect now he was referring to the gears as mentioned here.

Sooo, maybe I should run them the other way to avoid uneven wearing of gears?

Thanks,
Rob

lapuce033

Mine mostly counter-clockwise in my two last layouts, but in the one that I will build this fall this will have to be seen since its gonna be a room layout.

Terry

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i run mine both ways,but when i only had a 4 by 8 it was mostly clockwise sice thats the way my spurs were designed,so i could make it easier to pul into an industry.--josh

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
I guess just so I don't try to run them both way on the same track I should be ok. :)

Ok I have two lines that go Right to Left and a third line that goes Left to Right.

If I only had one line I think I would run them Right to Left.

oldtanker

HMMMM all my trains run both forward and reversesign1 . When I strt laying track I will have a double main line so both for me:D

Rick

jesso

Both! On my 4x8 HO layout, I have a figure 8 so it depends on what side of the layout you are on.:) My outside loop runs clockwise, as it makes it easier to get into the parking sidings and for some reason it just looks better coming out of the forest instead of going into it.

jesso

I was looking down at my N scale layout and noticed that it runs counter clockwise. I guess whichever side has the better scenery to come out of determines the direction.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The wear on drivetrain components is more likely to be affected by forward and reverse, rather than clockwise or counter-clockwise...

At the modular club (www.hotrak.ca) we subscribe to "right-hand running" which basically works out to counter-clockwise.

At home, I currently have a small point to point set up, so the trains run back and forth... ;) :D

Andrew

mtrails

Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I also run on a club layout, and we run, "on the right". Of the 3 mainline runs (E, W, & Commodities), the Commodities is bi-directional. I prefer to run on the Eastbound track, which is clockwise. I only choose to run on this track, because it has the fewest problems! This is just for mainline running. If switching is to be done, I run the direction the movements warrant, but 50% of the time, you need to run either or both ways.

If I had a layout of my own:

Double mainline- Run on the right.

Single mainline - Run counterclockwise.

My name is Jeremy, and I am in Billings, Montana. USA:wave:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I also run on a club layout, and we run, "on the right". Of the 3 mainline runs (E, W, & Commodities), the Commodities is bi-directional. I prefer to run on the Eastbound track, which is clockwise. I only choose to run on this track, because it has the fewest problems! This is just for mainline running. If switching is to be done, I run the direction the movements warrant, but 50% of the time, you need to run either or both ways.

If I had a layout of my own:

Double mainline- Run on the right.

Single mainline - Run counterclockwise.

My name is Jeremy, and I am in Billings, Montana. USA:wave:
Welcome Aboard :D :D Glad you decided to stop in and share your ideas :) :)

davidstrains

I have 3 loops. Lower level loop runs both ways depending on mood at the time. On my double track main, the outer loop (as seen at the yard complex) goes counter clockwise, the inner loop runs clockwise.

0-4-0 Steamer

both. I have some locos that actually run better backwards at this point. I'm a firm believer in the fact that the gears, especially plastic ones, wear unevenly if you don't reverse them. So, even if I'm running clockwise, I will pick up an engine and turn it around and run it backwards too. This isn't unusual in the real world anyway, especially diesels.