Which Direction Do You Run Your Trains?

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by Cannonball, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Ok, goofy question.... For those of you who have continuous loops in your layouts, which direction do your trains go? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? I've always run my trains clockwise just because.
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Both! I want the gears in my locomotives to wear evenly, so I try to run them in both directions as consistently as possible. :D
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Counter Clockwise :) :)
  4. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Being that I'm in the northern hemisphere, my trains run clockwise. (Sorry I couldn't resist) All kidding aside...I run clockwise "into" my station and "into" the sidings so I don't need to back into a siding.
  5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Both. I run a north bound local freight, break it up in the yard, and then run a south bound local freight.
  6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Both, so I can set up meets going in opposite directions.
  7. nhguy

nhguy Member

East and west or North and South. [;)]
  8. cmhockman78

cmhockman78 New Member

i only ever ran mine ccw, i don't why that is
  9. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

CCW then CW into the turnouts.

10. C&O Steve

C&O Steve New Member

Both, it gets old going the same direction. The only lood pike I use is at Christmas
  11. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Our club layout has three continuous running mains connected to a coin operated system. We run two trains one direction and the third in the opposite direction, changing directions periodically to even out the wear.
  12. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

At the moment 2 out of 3 loops are running clockwise. One has an s curve leading into a switch if I run CCW so I never run that loop CCW, it is just asking for a derailment.
  13. Relic

Relic Member

I set my empire up to run in both directions{2 cabs}with long blocks,about twice the length of a train.Trouble is I'm too easily distracted and have had some near catsasstrophies.Only had one car make it to the floor.
  14. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

North of the Mason-Dixon, they run counter clockwise. South, they run clockwise. fence1
    I run mine both ways. All layouts should have a reversing tack section.
  15. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

Mine are at a stand still until the layout gets done.:cry:
  16. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Clockwise, When I built my layout that's the direstion that the first train ran and I'm a creature of habit!
  17. brakie

brakie Active Member

Like the prototype both ways.
  18. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

I guess my layout is a lil different and ok to run in Massachusetts - I have two loops and they go both ways - LOL
  19. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

On my old layout, I mostly ran clockwise, at least while it was single track, because most spurs were trailing-point that way. Once it was double-tracked, of course I ran both ways.
  20. radar

radar Member

ON the main CCW just the way it is due to only 1 cab right now