Which circle cutter to get?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by bugman72, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I've finally decided to break down and buy a circle cutter. The more vehicles I do, the less I enjoy cutting out the wheels and tire pieces.

I've noticed that you can get two different versions of the Olfa circle cutter. One that looks like it uses a regular blade, much like an Xacto and another one which is a rotary wheel. Has anyone tried both and if so, which one would be better suited to use for cutting very small diameter circles?
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have the one with the rotary wheel. It's a nice item, with 2 warnings.

- The smallest circle it'll cut is 4 cm, making it pretty useless for smaller models. I imagine this would be great for use in larger scale rockets!

- As with all circle cutters (plastic ones anyway), if you bear down on it too hard, it won't cut a perfect circle, it will deform during the arc.

At this point, I'd recommend the Hobbico cutter. It's flimsier than the Olfa, but if you go lightly and make a couple of passes (more on thicker card) it does a wonderful job. And it will cut down to a 1 cm diameter circle. And it's only 6 bucks. Can't beat it with a stick.

Link here to Tower Hobbies:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=Hobbico Circle Cutter

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Olfa Cutter

Get the beam compass Olfa cutter. You'll have to shim the bar to slide with a couple of strips of cardstock to make adjusting and holding setpoints a better experience. Use sharp blades, go slow using light to light-moderate pressure and go through a couple of sheets of practice before trying it on an actual model.