Which Air Brush???

NewGuy

Apr 30, 2005
Inland Northwest
More window shopping...

The wife and I went to get shopping for her done and some window shopping for me done. Of course I found a bunch of stuff that I wanted to bring home. But I wondering about the Testors brand of air brush kits. They are priced pretty decent, but is that becuase they dont keep working very long? Or do they just produce poor results. I noticed Testors uses propellant from a can. I also saw another little kit there that actually came completer with a small air compressor. Although the nozzle assembly looked pretty cheesey and easily breakable. (Can't remember now the manufacturer.)

So, to summarize, what should I be expecting to pay for a decent middle of the road air bruch system? And any suggestions as to which manufacturer to go with?

JD

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
JD,

There's another recent discussion regarding airbrushes here. I'd also search the Gauge since I know this topic has come up a few times before.

I have an airbrush I bought some time ago for less than $10 from Harbor Freight Tools, but I can't vouch for how well it works since I have yet to use it. Based on what I've seen here though, I'll probably not be that impressed when I do, since it appears that price and quality go hand in hand when it comes to airbrushes.

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
I have an Testor Aztek airbrush that cost around $100. About 2 years ago, it had a problem and Testor replaced the unit no question asked.
The most important part, the nozzles can be replaced and cost around $10 and I do this about every year and I use my airbrush at least once or twice a week.
Compared to the more expensive airbrush guns, Aztek is the easiest to clean and I have not reach the point where I hit the limit of its abilities and I owned different airbrush guns for 15 years and use my Aztek for the last 4 years exclusively.

c449csx1.gif

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
air brushes are like any other tool you get what you pay for if you can't justify the highest priced one meaning you wont use it 2 or 3 times a week then a middle of the road brush is what you need .

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Newguy,
I've been eerr....ummm... "told" that you'll get a much better deal from a women's makup shop, and get one of the airbrushes they do fingernails with. Same thing, but for some reason, way way cheaper, cause they don't have the word "hobby" i.e. charge like wounded bulls tag about them.

Any comments on this? Or is it an old wife's tale.

emt49

Jan 5, 2005
binghamton
Hey newguy i have the testors air brush kits with the compressor and i cant make it blow paint water or thinner and your right about the brush it a cheap p.o.s i should of saved alittle more and got a better one

but thats just my story

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I have been thinking about getting an airbrush to experiment with. I found a Testors Mighty Mini for $50. Comes with the airbrush and compressor. I figured that the airbrush probably wasn't the best quality but I was wondering if the compressor was any good for a beginner. All of the reviews that I have read have confirmed that the airbrush was no good, but they have said that the compressor is worth the money. Has anyone had any experience with this compressor?

Thanks, Freelancer

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I haven't seen that compressor, but most compressors sold for use with an airbrush don't have a tank. The result is that you get a pulse of compressed air rather than a smooth flow. I would reccommend an inexpensive compressor with holding tank from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, or similar home center. I think the prices start at around $50, but the compressor with a tank is a much better set up.