Where's Your Layout?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by riverotter, Feb 11, 2008.

Where's Your Layout?

1. Basement

46 vote(s)
  2. Attic

11 vote(s)
  3. Spare Room

22 vote(s)
  4. Garage

16 vote(s)
  5. Detached Building

7 vote(s)
  6. Elsewhere

22 vote(s)
  7. No Layout

14 vote(s)
  1. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Les, that's awesome (your layout story...not the stroke)! Inside those walls, models of my second favorite mid-western railroad pull strings of 2-bays.
  2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Here's an old pic of the BAD Western in my basement.

Attached Files:

3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

and it looks a LOT smaller from insude..... way too many trains! sign1sign1sign1

Yeha - I know ----- you can never have enough trains!!!! :D :D

Someday he's gonna add to it too... :D :D Least that's what he keeps telling everyone!!!! :wave::wave::wave::wave: HI Les!!!!!
  4. conrailmike

conrailmike Member

Mine is in the basement for now, until the new garage is built. Then I will have WAAAAYYYY more room, roughly 27x24.
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I voted garage...although it's no longer a garage. I "upgraded" it into a train room, and now the car sleeps outside...:mrgreen:
  6. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

OK Mikey. If I am able physically and financially I will do it, time will tell. As of now it is not looking to good. And yes I do have a lot of in there but I have seen more in less space. I at one time had 2 helixes. I wish I had more isle room so more operators could fit in sometimes it gets kind of crowded.
  7. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I have a 16x8 ft (1' 9" wide) corner in the basement where the laundry/food stores/house HVAC stuff is located. It doesn't look like much now, eventually I'll get around to painting the brick an eggshell blue and start adding some structure to it all. Right now its just a plywood deck with my track work on it. It's coming along.
  8. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

:D :D :thumb::thumb::thumb: ... Still thinking of you in my prayers!

Yeah - I remember you saying about the helixes before..... Take care!! Hope to see you at the "open house" again this year..
  9. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

My layout will be in the garage I am finishing this summer. I have to finish the plumbing, heating, insulation and drywall. It is 33' x 30' I only have to leave room for my wifes car.

Attached Files:

10. kokoracer

kokoracer Member

I started with a simple 4x8. Got the idea that bigger would be better. It becaame 2 11x15 sections with liftouts. took over a room in the basement. Moved the computer, work table and book case. After a track switch, I ended up with a 14x25 layout that takes up 1/3rd of the basement. The mighty Springfield Southern!
  11. scubadude

scubadude Member

I would like to see the mighty Sprinfield Southern....
  12. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Mines portable, so it fits in my room.
  13. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Garret I have 2 questions
    1 Which garage door is yours?
    2 Is the upstairs yours or hers?
  14. McGilliCutty

McGilliCutty New Member

Those were my thoughts as well except I kind of thought the upstairs might be the inlaw quarters.
  15. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

The upstairs started out to be for my train room, but I neglected to tell my wife. It will be an apartment for one of my older kids. The extra income will help take care of the expenses for heat and other extras for the layout. I will have the side with two doors it will give me around 30' X 20' for my layout. I will post some pictures when I start my benchwork.
  16. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Our layout is a 10 x 20 foot layout in our basement.

We also have a 5 x 8 foot layout.

17. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Tom, why are the trains hidden from the camera?!? :mrgreen:
  18. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

toptrain1 layout

My Layout

Attached Files:

19. KentBy

KentBy GN, NP, SP&S

Currently it is in my head....

But I am running out of room there.:curse:

So I have negotiated track rights for about 1/3 of the finished daylight basement. The Kids are all grown and out of the house, so the now it is just trying to get all those ideas out of my head on the a track plan.

Some how the trains in my head could make tighter curves and pull steeper grades that my book on track planning says they can.:p

I need to get a better book.wall1wall1

20. nolatron

nolatron Member

My layout is in my office. It may look like it's a dedicated train room cause of all the stuff on the desk and models in progress on the bench, but I really do other things in here :) At least that's my argument to the wife that it's an "office" and not a "Train room". :mrgreen:

Here's a panoramic of the room: