Where's Woodie

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Has anybody heard from Woodie lately? I know he lives in or near Sidney which is having a terrible problem with bush fires.
Bill K

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
His last post was on 12/30. (I have no idea what GMT translates into in Australia).
Wasn't he planning a trip, or something?
Woodie...are you out there?
Let us know if you're safe...

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Here I is!

Here I is! And thanks, guys for the concern. I'm OK, but thousands aren't. The fires that started Christmas Day are still burning, and show no sign of abating. No sign of rain either. Yep. I have been away for a few days up north 800km away, and fires arer affecting there as well. The flaring glow of fires at night in the hills around where I was staying. The largest about 30 km away.

There has been a fantastic effort by all involved to minimise losses, with no loss of life so far, and only about 250 homes destroyed. Fire management and people management procedures have improved dramtically over the last few years, helping to keep the toll down. Similar fires over the last 20 years or so have resulted in many deaths and 1000's of homes burnt.

Perhaps I should set fire to Garahbara to get a very realistic model of a Sydney prototype!!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
rain.....

Yep. We finally had some rain last Tuesday night. About 35mm (1 1/2 inches), but it wasn't enough to put the fires out. It cooled off yesterday, to about 25C, but back up in the 30's tomorrow. The daylight is still an errie pick/orange from the smoke haze, but of the 80 odd fires still buring, most are under control. The area covered by the rain, was certainly not all the fire affected areas, but the Blue Mountain (bout 100K west of Sydney) have now got some releif.
Thanks all for your concern. It's been pretty rough for a lot of people.