Where'd The Stations Go?????

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I have 10 yrs bound volumes of MR and MRC '70's to '80's and it has prompted me to finally open my mouth and ask a question that's bugged me for years.......

I have not seen descriptions or drawings of a RR station which is typical of a small town or suburb, only whistle stops!
Are Stations only in cities in the USA or are they the same thing as "Depot's"?

I need a station for my HO layout with a heavily built-up backscene (City style) but can't imagine what a station would look like in American architecture. I have a Dynamodel's station with conical tower and it simply doesn't look right! I've seen the LA and Salt Lake UP stations also Silverton and Durango but I don't want a massive structure as passenger stock will only be run as Special Excursions (one or two coaches of 1900 era).

I do need to to have something in the space but I'm at a total loss. I love the appearance of the Atlas station but don't want to have what everyone else has.

Help urgently needed before I join my hampster in an anxiety attack.

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
I know what you mean by "I don't want to have what everyone else has". Somewhere I mentioned that I used two Atlas station kits to build a two story structure (work in progress). I've also been seriously thinking of building the Atlas station as a mirror image. This would require some serious cutting and fitting, but would be a great kitbash project, and it would be different!!
Pete

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks guys,

Bill, I use a 1999 Walthers catalogue as a guide when surfing their website. But photos are not always available in their site.

Tyson, thanks, you cleared up one of my suspicions, passenger traffic is nothing like as dense as it was in the earlier part of last century. So I'll take it that a station can be hashed to handle more freight than passengers.

Pete, Just the ticket!! I, love scratchbuilding and structure kitbashing. I must admit, the Atlas station is a very attractive item, it has all the ingredients which pleases me.. ie, Contour, Colour and Texture. I hope you will post a pic of your two story kitbash when you've finished it.

Thanks again fellas.

Errol

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Errol: You might want to see if you can get a European station that can readily be converted to North American in looks. The one I'm aware of , and have, is Pola #656, which has a board & batten style wall, and actually has rectangular windows. A replacement roof , some platform / base changes, and some very minor window / door mods make this station quite acceptable.
Good luck and regards / Mike

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
It's down to small details, and borrowing a digital camera to take the shot. I will post a photo as soon as possible. Unfortunately, getting out of unimployment is taking a higher priority at the moment.
Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.
Pete