Where were H0 scale models firstly produced?

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
That's true - but on the other end of the spectrum, I know when I started in model railroading in 1971, no one would have believed the No.1 gauge boom that took place when LGB started making American narrow-gauge equipment!!

Perhaps it might have surprised Mr. Marklin in the 1900's had he known how the hobby would evolved by the mid 20th century but, just like N gauge, LGB's #1 narrow gauge equipment had established itself firmly in Europe well before it ever ventured across the pond. That LGB, et al. went into production of American narrow gauge after it was clear that there was a ready market over here for even their quaint European prototype trains, is not surprising...the model railroad market in Europe encountered a serious, progressive decline in the 1990's (witness all the big companies over there that failed and had to be bought out) and going where the money is, i.e. the U.S., was really a quite logical step. For manufacturers over here, it was just a matter of jumping on the band wagon. Even so, I'd doubt #1 narrow gauge today amounts to much more in the way of sales than S gauge, making it a very small market segment.

Also consider that there seems to be a certain degree of "craze" factor in our hobby, where a certain size or type of equipment becomes a novelty for a time. We saw HO narrow gauge interest spike dramatically in the 1980's and one might say it was futuristic trains (Aero Train, Talgo, et al.) in the late 1950's. All in all, the story of our hobby's development is a most convoluted and interesting one.

CNJ999

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Re G scale trains, I suppose it would depend on who we classify as a model railroader. 40 years ago garden railroads were all but nonexistant, with G scale becoming popular in the eighties that part of model railroading has had an incredible boom. However I don't know how many of those people are in the NMRA or read MR or RMC on a regular basis, so they might be under the radar as being "model railroaders". If you include all those people, I would guess G scale in it's various current versions would be much more popular than S scale.

It's certainly true about model railroading being into "fads" and "crazes". It will be interesting to see how the current On30 phenomenon plays out!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Anent TT and S: I've always felt that you need a reduction of about half to have a viable new scale. This makes O, HO and N. Not sure about G gauge, but the scale certainly was over twice as much.
I tried to get into TT when I moved to Toronto, but the importer actually discouraged us! So I ended up in HO and OO.

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
In reality, G gauge is not a true scale like all the others. Rather, it is a banner under which a range of larger scale model trains that mostly run on the same 45mm-gauge track (some as narrow gauge, some as standard gauge) are incorporated. As I recall, G gauge includes 1/20.3, 1/22.5, 1/25, 1/29 and 1/32 scales(!). There are some that even use HO track to simulate 15-inch gauge. Lack of uniformity is one of G's major drawbacks, especially regarding finding accessories.

CNJ999

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Lots of different scales, and you left out 1:24 scale:eek:. Many early LGB modellers in the US used 1/2"=1' for their modelling.

IIRC 1:32 scale is the correct size for No.1 gauge track (which is what G gauge track is). LGB used 1:22.5 to use the track to represent European meter-gauge track.