Where to start?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by brownd2, Sep 19, 2004.

1. brownd2

brownd2 New Member

For several months I have been thinking of joining the hobby and have been drawn to to the G scale trains. I figure the best place to start is with one of the starter sets that it looks like several manufacturers offer for around $200.00. Initially, my intent is to elevate the train in my rec. room (indoors). However, I do have a little bit of land set aside in the backyard that if this hobby turns out to be 1/2 as fun as it looks, that I would eventually build an outdoor layout. Since 2 trains sets may be a hard 'sell' with my wife, I was hoping that some folks could provide a little guidance as to which company offers the best value in train sets for a beginer like myself. The 'dream' would be to purchase the set, track, etc. use it inside to learn the hobby and eventually move everything outside where I could expand. Thank you.
  2. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Do you want live steam?

3. Danny

Danny Member

Brownd2, Bachmann probably make the best US protrotype sets, well priced, but note that Bachmann track is hollow tinplate, and not suitablle for outdoor use. so use the Bachmann track for your Christrmas Tree layout in the lounge room, as invest in Aristocrtaft track for your future outdoor empire, however if you were to begin with an Aristocraft set the track would be suitable for outdoor use. Bachmann sets are Narrow Gauge prototype modelled in a scale of 1:22.5, Aristocraft models Standard Gauge prototype and use a scale of 1:29. Happy Large Scale adventures.
  4. brownd2

brownd2 New Member

Tomsz: Steam may be a little to advanced. I was thinking electric, at least to begin with.

Danny: Excellent point about the track being different materials. That is something I have never even thought of (as you can see I am a novice). I did notice that with Aristocraft there are both brass and stainless options (I believe brass is what comes with the intial 'starter' set.) I live in Minnesota where the winters are long and cold. Would brass be the way to go, or is stainless a better alternative?
  5. Danny

Danny Member

brownd2: I am living in sub tropical Queensland, Australia, and am using brass track, a mixture of Aristocraft, LGB and Australian flex track in six foot lengths. All of which needs very little cleaning, have no experience with SS track or with North Ameriocan winters (snow etc.) Garden railroading is a whole new experience which you are sure to enjoy, suggest you start buying "Garden Railway magazine".
  6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Hey there, Brownd2 -

First off, Welcome To The Gauge!

I think Danny has great advice...The Bachmann sets are great for starting out. Many folks I've spoken to still have all their Bachmann starter stuff years and years later. The track that comes with the starter set will be just fine for indoor use, and likely even survive for a few seasons of outdoor use, too. Of course, if you're starting out, you very well may just set up some track outdoors, and bring it inside in the fall. That's what I intend to do.

If you plan to leave your track outside permanently, then the stainless track is definitely the way to go. Then again...what about radio control? Many outdoor layouts are R/C, and since the power is no longer run through the rails, conductivity becomes a moot point.
  7. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

the bachmann starter set you guys are talking about is it the steam engine with two passenger cars? I didnt buyone but i saw in Boscovs { a Big department store} the bachmann set for i tihnk about 80 dollars and if you wanted more passenger cars they were only 19.99 with metal wheels and lights.
  8. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

I mainly run live-steam, but I don't think their as exspensive or harder to run than most people tend to think for basic starter sets. If I were you, I would try and find the December,2003 issue of Garden Railways. It has a "Buying a starter Set" run down on most all of the manufactures starter sets from ELECTRIC and live steam, from inside, or outside, and even what power type might be best for you. Its about 4 to 5 pages long and I think it would give you a great place to start. O, and I agree with the others on the track, stainless steel seems to be the best.
  9. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Tomz........ what do you mean there not hard to run, which elecric or live steam, some live steams are hard to run ive been in contorl of a aster Big Boy live steam and tending the fire and all diffrent adjustments, It gets very confuising, the ruby is easy to run, but once you start with Meth fired ,coal and some butane fired ones , It takes some time to under stand them.
  10. Tomsz

Tomsz Member

Well first of all, I mean to start with a basic live steam, (Like an Accucraft Ruby; not the Aster Big Boy) Also, once you get used to it, it tends to get much more easy. Like most people didn't learn how to ride a bike in one day, but once you learn, you tend not to forget it. And I've also found that if it is set-up right they tend to be much more easy to run. The Aster Big Boy should be much more easy to run when it is set up for Meth firing, but you are right for the coal version it tends to require much more work, But Thats half the fun, Right.:) I've found that any butane fired engine tends to be very easy to run, you just set the fire and go. Meth. firing is more work to set-up the fire to burn right, but once it is set-up right, all you have to do to keep running is basicly the same as butane firing, but you need to keep filling the tender with fuel when it starts to get low. Now with all engines that can run longer times(not Basic, like the Ruby) you must keep an eye on the water glass and pump water in to the boiler to keep it at about 3/4 full depending on the engine. I hope this helps, but it is just what I've found out over the years.:thumb:

Have a great day, thank you for your time,
    If you have anymore questions, feel free to let me know,