Where To Get The Best

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Redwulf, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

I'm new to card modelling but I am having a lot of fun with it so far. My first model is about half way finished a free download of the Fokker DVII from Fiddlersgreen. I want to make a nice Mobil for my two boys rooms. I know Fiddlergreen has a bunch of downloadables of WWI are they the best place to buy from?

What is acceptable practice once you have downloaded and paid for it? For example is it acceptable to scan a printout and use something like Photoshop to change colors of the planes? So I could build a mobile of three DVIIs but different schemes.

I'll get some pics up of my first project soon!
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

In my experience, Fiddlersgreen are perfect for the beginner, not too hard, but a challenge all the same, and if you email Chip with a request to recolour the models I am sure he will grant you permission, BUT that has to come from him, and not on my say so :) he's always been good to me
  3. 46rob

46rob Member

Chip encourages modelers to recolor his products, and if you submit them back to FG--if they meet his standards, will actually add them to the collection. That's how I got started designing models, epainting a FG Phantom.
  4. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Will scanning change the scale etc? I am assuming you would merely scan the printout in a high resolution and the scale would all stay the same??
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If you downloaded the files you do not have to scan them. They are aready in PDF format and Photoshop will open that. Just remember to save the file under a different name so as to keep the original un-modified.

Chip likes it when people re-color models, like Rob said, if he likes it he will add them to the list. I have done one of Rob's and Chip now has it posted. It's the Alvarez A-4. Really neat to have something like that out there.

Oh and on scanning, there are a lot of post here so do a search, it kindfa depends on the scanner and the settings.

Once you get comfortable with the medium, www.paperwarbirds.com has a very good selection of WWI models, but they are for people that have had a little of experience. There aresome free ones listed so you may want to try them out.

6. gera

gera Member

Hi Guys:

Happy new year to all....................

Please check specific post..........sorry.

Hi Bow!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a paper C-46 a few years back, but I have not seen it in a long time!!!
    See what I mean????....you want to build a model and can´t!!!...Go Solid!!!! the only
    answer....but don´t leave your paper´s....I have in the hangar the PE-2 by Modelik..real pretty, I work on it on an off,should be done by the end of the year....

Happy you like my C-46. Love this plane, flew it in 1967, from Guatemala City to Honduras. Quite touchy very easy to get killed in :(...if an engine messed up and quit making a turn was like gambling, more than 15 degrees and contraption would simply drop a wing and diveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. So if you lost an engine your chances were about 3%. But the fat guy was lovely to look at.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Gera!

I was think about trying this plane in paper.......... you beat me to the punch, sortta!

I love this plane...........not as famous as the DC-3 but way bigger, and held lot more stuff.

I saw the CAF's C-46 in person and I could not believe the size.

Your model looks good, what livery are going to paint it in?

8. Redwulf

Redwulf Member

Hey Bo,
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I just realized I have Adobe PhotoDeluxe Business Edition. I can't open a PDF. Maybe I can find a plug in or something?

I think they stopped giving the freebies. I have looked there a few times. Can't find anything downloadable.