Where is your layout situated?

scottcn

Jul 8, 2006
coastal SC
At the moment, it is in the attic, except that the attic is unfinished, unheated, uncooled, uninsulated, and unelectrified - except for a long extension cord. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. Plans are to finish the entire attic (eventually) and either keep the trains up there or else move the kids upstairs and trains to a room downstairs. For now, progress on the layout is slow as it is plain uncomfortable to spend any length of time up there.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good question!

Mine is in our basement. My wife & I and our two young sons live in a small bungalow in an old Toronto suberb.

Right now, a friend uses our basement 3-4 days during the week, so I have to stow away my small 4x6' layout after use on weekends. I obviously also have to carefully wrap up and put away all of my locos and rolling stock. The advantage of this, is that it keeps everything clean! :mrgreen: and it only takes me 20 to 30 minutes to set everything up.

At any rate, this autumn our friend will no longer need to use our basement -- so I'm planning to turn the basement bedroom into a train/layout room! :mrgreen::):mrgreen:

This will also move the layout away from our kids' play area -- overall, they're pretty responsible with our trains, but I get very nervous when they have friends over! :eek: (They actually broke an axel on one of my nice brand new British locos but I was able to get it repaired.)

So that's my long-winded answer!

Rob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Since there's only 2 of us (plus the cats) I got the finished room in the basement (the rec room of the previous owner) which is 16x18 feet. The conditions were that I had to accommodate my book collection and I couldn't block the fireplace. A full around the walls layout seems to be what I can handle and the room has a couple of times held a club meeting of 20-30 guys (well packed).
We now have a large stock of my father's bookcases in the standing space...

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
1 of mine will be able to go everywhere and anywhere (It will fold up so I can carry it like a suitecase- this is HO [3,8m long by 0,4m wide]).

My N scale one will be in the Lounge- it will be a coffee table (no dimensions yet).

Busy building both.

I have an oval that I built in three days for the shop where I work too.

One day I want to build a house with a basement for my trains and a small percentage dedicated to Warhammer, table top fantasy wargames. That will only happen when the moola is rolling in though!

cedarcreekrr

Jul 17, 2006
Garrett, IN
My layout will be in the garage I just built. I will have approx. 30' X 20' area to work with. My wife gets the other 13 x30 area for her van, she seems to think she needs a place to park. The only thing I will have to do is make some parts of it movable so when it gets real cold my vehicle can be parked inside.

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
In the Loft

After having lived in a 5 bedroom house we for 38 years, we down graded to a "Granny Flat" im my sons back garden The house has very high ceiling so it was possible to do a layout on the bathroom roof
The pictures show how I get up to it with a retractable ladder and what you see as you get through the opening, Where there is a will theres a way, what happen when I get to old to climb the ladder ,Who knows ?

Attachments

• Loft Ladder.jpg
    Loft Ladder.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 82
  • railway.jpg
    railway.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 11

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
The "structure" is in the corner of my (bed)room; the parts of it are in drwares below. I keep trying to start assembly, but start to think about doing this...doing that...1/2 hour passes by... time to do wash... time to eat... you get the idea.
Oh yeah! It's N scale and going to be urban Florida; different from BIG Cities; Spiderman would have to catch a cab to do battle with baddies, as not many TALL buildings. (they don't do well in Hurricanes)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Mine is in the TV / Rec room and counting the layout it takes up about a 10X10 or 1/4 of the total room. Of course I needed some additional space on the sides.

The nice thing with it being part of the living area is that it's easy to control the environment.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
"My layout" is part of a large club layout in a local museum. Since many of our members are inactive, especially from October to May, I have the whole thing to myself except during the museum operating months. I can even run my On30 equipment so long as I don't try to go through the HO scale tunnels.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
G'day back
Being trailer trash doesn't make for a lotta spare space,so my "empire" is upstairs in the garage,so it ended up,after being torn out twice,being around the walls in a 16 x 24 space.{I took a big bite}

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
My 12' x 32' layout is in a room (poorly) added to the backside of my barn. However due to dust, critters, insects, and no climate control, I will be dismantling it as soon as I complete a new 20' x 32' detached building. Like alexbnfan, here in North Texas we just build in the yard (15 acres).

L

lester perry

in a shed in my back yard which has advantagevr basement as i am preparreing rto makr wsfeb bigger so rr can grow I hav a 4 acre back yard so th $$$$ is th limit
les.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
My layout is in its own special corner with the stored puzzles, games, etc. It was originaly where my mom stored the lugage, then she moved the luggage for a floor-based layout back when I got the track. Then the table was built and now the lugage is stored under the table.

Dayton

Jul 27, 2007
5'x10' HO layout in my garage. Yep, it gets dusty and tarnished and I just clean it and run the trains!:mrgreen: I would lay it out differently if I was to do it over, but since I haven't finished it yet I'll just keep going the direction I am.:thumb: I would of liked to have put more operations on it, but I do love to see the trains roll.:twisted: