Where do you put all your models

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by MapleLeaf, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

I love making cardmodels. I could do nothing but and be very content. However... What do you do with them all? You can only put so many on shelves - even if you have shelves dedicated for that purpose. So, what do you do with them? :confused:
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Build small, then you can get all of them in the same size area as one 1/33 kit!
    Works for me!

3. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Give them away mostly. I like to share my joy of cardmodeling with others. I enjoy the building much, much more than the having. :thumb:

Out of the dozens of models i've done I only have 3 on the shelf at the moment. The rest are in other people's hands.
  4. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, give the vast majority of them away. Otherwise some empty shelf space is found or some inexpensive shelves are mounted on the wall somewhere and the models are placed there. But mostly the models are given away. Some have been destroyed, especially around the holidays when firecrackers are available.:mrgreen:
  5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Same thing. Give 'em away. Take many to the children's hospital here. The looks on their faces are priceless. The models don't even have to be perfect, which is a good thing in my case.
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I give most away as well. Kids love them, and sometimes they get bitten by the bug.
  7. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

That's a fantastic idea, Elliot! My wife works in the dietary office of a small-ish long-term care hospital here and there's always at least a couple kids there at any given time.
  8. knife

knife Member

I gave most of mine to airline pilots (seriously). They are just like kids anyway.
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Thanks Dan. Can't take credit for the original idea. I got it from a guy named Dennis in the old Smartgroups forum. He took them up by the boxful(!) several times a year. I think he was in Tennessee, don't know if he's still around or not. Credit where credit is due.
  10. "There is more happiness in giving than recieiving"

I like to build models that my friends would want. After all it is very rewarding when they light up knowing that you did this just for them. I build a couple of fire truck for a disabled fireman. It was only about 4" long, but you should see how he treasures that thing. He shows it to everyone who comes to see him. Now that's rewarding. Right now I am working on the GG-1 train from Canon. It is for a friend who is failing and loves trains. He doesn't have one made of paper yet. Can't wait to see his face.
  11. Sgt.Backer

Sgt.Backer New Member

I have like ten on a shelf and running out of room quick. Idk what im gonna do, giving them away sounds good...

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

I give them to either family members or friends. I am considering donating one of my current builds to the library if it turns out well. I am keeping the metallic one if it comes out as planned :)
  14. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Great places to "give them away" are your local schools, libraries, etc. Most will welcome a themed display - though you'll need to work up some graphics to label and explain the significance of each model. Simple, free models work especially well in school classrooms. If you provide a link where the kids can download and build their own you get a double benefit.

Display space "borrowed" from community college planetarium
  15. belleg01

belleg01 New Member

Great ideas. I am recently back into the hobby but the ones i made in the past i gave to my niece and nephew. I have 3 tucked away in a box under the bathroom sink. I figure the very best will join those and just come out when my nerd friends come out (or untill we get a bigger house with more space) and the rest my son can destroy (i mean play with).
  16. Fl0ydski

Fl0ydski Member

I feel your pain. I'd like to have an environmentally controlled room lined with shelves and recessed lighting to store the models...but I have not the time, the $$ or the space to do so...

So I build them. Take a photo of them. Showcase them on my desk area at work or at home...then give them away to people. It's very rewarding to see a smile on someones face when they receive something like this out of the blue. And it's the process of building a model that I enjoy the most. The end result is a bonus.

I work in an office of about 100 people... at least half have received a paper model of one sort or other... Usually kinetic sculptures.

17. The Hobbyist

The Hobbyist The Hobbyist

My primary card model interest is architecture and much of that is dominated by historical buildings. Some of the better models are of Czech origin. This combination provides me with a rewarding outlet for my completed works...my daughter. She is a professor of medival history specializing in Bohemia. So a lot of mine are display items in her office where they are relevant.

18. TDavis

TDavis New Member

I worked for 35 years at an elementary school and had no problem with giving away models. Since I've retired I no longer have that luxury. I'll be watching this thread for ideas!
  19. luanoon

luanoon New Member

i have warhammer 40 K models. i stock them in boxes and get them out when i need them. Not the best :( I like the place of community college plantarium, need to think to do the same thing in my new house :)
  20. naser80

naser80 New Member

I built fourteen 1/33 aircraft and two 1/100 airliners and some 1/24 wehicles and tens of animal from Canon!! I can not give away those luxurious 1/33 fighters and helicopters. If I have problem with room, I will disintegrate them into 3-4 parts and store them in karton box.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.