Where do I go Now?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

[FONT=&quot]For the past 40 some years I had one train set. The vintage Lionel military train saw use each year around the Christmas tree. Then something special took place this year. My youngest daughter age 10 wanted her own train.

I was lucky enough to pick up a Lionel Polar Express for her and an additional Pennsylvania Flyer set for my older daughter. What the heck every kid needs their own train.

Then I got the bug in a little under a week I built that Pennsylvania Rail Road set that I always wanted. I topped it off with a Lionel 2-8-2 steam locomotive. I just couldn't stop there; I fell in love with the MTH PRR Aerotrian so now I have two PRR sets.

Good thing we have a large living room since each set now goes around the Christmas tree. Thus my question where do I go now.

I am 100% stuck with the train bug and I don't want to put these away each year only to bring them out each November to January.

So where do I start in building my first layout? I am lucky enough to have an open room that is 12x10 for this project. However I want to try and avoid some of the pitfalls in building that first layout. About the only thing that is certain is that I will be using what I have in trains along with fast track.

My dream would be to rebuild the Renovo PRR works but for now I think that would be a far more complicated task. The forums have helped but I have a ton of more reading to do to pick out the information.

Maybe later I will at least post of photograph of the new enhanced version of the simple train around the Christmas tree.

PS: maybe one of you kind mods could change the PPR to PRR in my name.
  2. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I'd like to follow your progress as i'm in a similar situation. I've decided that i want to do amtrak as a theme. I also decided i want to eventually model 30th street station in philadelphia. But that is eventually, for now i've got tons of books i've got 3 or 4 loops layed out. I have a couple good engines on the way and and i've been stockup on on rolling stock etc on ebay.

I'd love to watch and learn w/ you how to build up scenery etc ;).
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

A 10x12 room is a great place to start. A 4' wide benchwork along two walls should give you plenty of room for a starting layout. I wouldn't reccomend anything wider than that without putting in holes for crawl spaces. Otherwise you'll have to crawl across your layout to get any derailments that may happen along the back stretch.
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

AS you start your new layout, look up and check and see the location of your lights and how hard it will be to replace them. Now you can look at your benchwork and see how far you can reach across it.

Now you can start to plan your layout.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

You're definitely headed in the right direction- fastrak is pricey but it makes for a nice looking layout, and it's easy to change the design if you don't like it. You can still cut costs there by only using 036 and 048 curves, and manual 036 switches. And check all of the big mail order outlets like Charles Ro, Justrains, and Trainland for the best prices on track. Standard Hobby Supply also has 30" straights for $6.99- the best price I've seen for that size anywhere.

I recommend some kind of design software to help you in designing your trackplan- Atlas offers RTS freeware 7.0 on their website, or go with RR Track. Both will help you to save time and money.

Most layout builders go with 1 x 4's, usually spaced 24" apart with a 1/2" OSB or plywood, glued and screwed, for your benchwork . I recommend a sound deadener over that, like 1" or 2" foam or 1/2" Homasote to cut down on the noise generated by the trains running on Fastrak. Yo can use 1 x4's or 2 x 2's for the legs, but if youre doing an around the walls setup I'd screw the benchwork to the walls as well.

If you're not too comfortable with the carpentry there are books available from the hobby store to show you how to make the benchwork.

You first big purchase will probably be a transformer. You can get by with the CW-80's in your starter sets, but at some point you'll overtax them and see the need for more juice. I'd go with a MTH Z-4000 or Lionel 's new ZW- both are about 360w (180w per channel) and control at least two trains, plus accessories.

6. JDC916

JDC916 New Member

I still cant get RTS 7 to download !!!
  7. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I will or at least I think I will be ok with the power. I have ordered a CAB-1 remote, TMCC Direct Lockon and 180 watt powerhouse. My local dealer is helping me with this one. I guess I’m lucky enough to have a Lionel/MTH dealer with a train store/repair located just a few miles from the farm. Not bad for living in the country I guess.

Can someone expand on the foam board? I did pick up on that by reviewing a few threads on the construction of layouts. This was one of those little things I would not of thought about. I would of never though of that. I guess my questions are as followed.

Where do you get it?
    How do you use it?
    Does it go under the track only or the entire layout?
    Does anything else go over it?

I’m blessed with pretty good carpentry and electrical skills so that should be the easy part. I just have so many questions I don’t even know what to start asking.

[FONT=&quot]Can anyone recommend a good starting book?[/FONT]
  9. Cannonball

Foam board:

Where do you get it?- Hardware store, Lowe's, Menard's, Home Depot, etc.

How do you use it?- You lay sheets of it down on your benchwork

Does it go under the track only or the entire layout?- Cover your entire benchwork

Does anything else go over it?- Everything else you put on your layout. Grass, trees, mountains, trackbed, ballast, houses, etc.
  10. JDC916

JDC916 New Member

YmeBP.... yep registered..... when i click on the download now button.... i never get anything after that. The windows flag in the upper rh corner waves like it is doing something but the pop up box that would normally say open save run etc never pops up. Eventually it stops and i get a blank page with a little ex in the upper lh corner.
  11. Cannonball

That's strange. :confused:
    I wonder what is blocking it.
  12. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Buy all the magazines and a few DVDs on trains. Check out O gauge and Classic Toy Trains magazines and their respective forums.