where can I get that ?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
That question came up concerning the ships on my N scale shipyard module. I asked that same question of Shamus, concerning the jeep in the Tumbleweed Springs pics.
In too many cases, these products were once available, but cannot be conviently found now.
Often, I catch a response to a thread, from someone who is not into that scale, and happened to take a peek, that goes,"I usually don't read threads in this scale/forum..............."
What's all this have in common? We're modeling railroads. Regardless of scale, we are all modeling the same things. Just because the article was for scratchbuilding an N scale structure, doesn't mean that it can't be done in another scale. Just because we're modeling "modern", doesn't mean we have to overlook older structures. Just because that plastic ship model isn't HO scale, doesn't mean that it can't be modified to become an HO scale ship.
I had no idea that the "Russian spy trawler" kit from Revell was basicly an N scale kit, until after I got it home. I bought the kit several years ago, to use the hull for something else.
My point? When you go to the LHS, don't just look at the products made in your scale, and don't just look at the trains. Remember, we model railroads, railroads that pass through different communities, and settings. The railroad is likely to pass just about anything, and everything. That 1/72 scale Korean era jet fighter kit just might make a great avaition museum entrance in 1/87 scale. That 1920's era building just might have been renovated, and is now the hottest nightclub in town, and it could even look freshly painted, and well maintained. That great looking disconnect log car, in the G/O, and S scale forum, might be just the thing you needed, and could build, for your N scale logging operation.
There's a lot of resources out there......check 'em out!
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Pete,
The geep was a white metal kit which I bought at a swap meet off a guy, the box said it was"Made in Italy" but thats all I can say. As for your boats/ships, my LHS stocks quite a lot of Revel/Tamiya/Italeri (Don't think thats how you spell it) so if you want something special, ask me and I will see if they have it in stock or can get it.
Cheers
Shamus

Clerk

Hi Pete. I would normaly agree with you "but", There it is. I just don't have the time to sit at the computer all day checking out all the different threads. I am an N scaler and I check out those first, then if I have time I check out some of the others. The same goes at the LHS. Also when visit the LHS it is over 30 miles away. My wife is always with me as we go to that city once a month for shopping. There is a book store next door and my wife visits that while I am in the LHS. The longer I am in the LHS the more she spends at the book store, so it is to my advantage to get what I went there for and dash over and pick up my wife and her arm load of books.:thumb: :p :eek:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Good thoughts Pete. Actually I check threads by hitting the "View New Posts" button and don't think to check whether I'm in the Z N HO or larger gauge forums. I see great work in all and all inspire me. I like your suggestions regarding creative use of supplies from other scales.
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I'm with Pete on this one - I always look in the other sections of my LHS. I get a lot of G ideas from the "Smaller" scales :) :) :) :)

shaygetz

One of my favorite sidelines to this hobby is to find low cost usable items, close to the scale I'm modeling in. I especially love using trucks from the "Johnny Lightning" series of diecast vehicles. As for visiting other forums, I agree, there is always something or some idea out there that can be used in your scale regardles of its "scale of origin". I'm currently taking a Johnny Lightning school bus (currently out in the "Cat in the Hat" scheme) and making it into a railbus complete with sound, based on an On30 article in this month's RMC. Just be careful o' them N scalers, some o' them'll snap at you if you don't throw 'em a bone or sumthin';) :p :D

Pooh Bah
and don't ignore the TOY section either. There was an article a while back on coverting a Thomas & Friends trawler into a model boat. And the thread on converting dollar store trucks. My wife is slowly creating a traffic jam on my display with vehicles out of Kindertoys.

F

Fred_M

I also use N scale (and faller who claim there builings are HO) as background buildings for forced perspective. I also use N scale lights and other n scale part when i think the HO ones "look" too big. I though this was a common pratice? I use anything that looks right to me! My favorite places on earth are hobby stores, dollar stores, and yard sales. Fine scale modelers may cringe, but I got a big layout I need to fill and I can't spend five months building one building:) . That comes later.:) FRED

Vic

In order to create you have to be creatative:thumb: Look for things in places that you would not normally think you would find something useful for modeling. Just a few recent examples.

1. A mounting bracket from a mini blind, turned upside down and
painted an industrial color looks like a large machine...great flat car load.

2. Bra hooks:eek: :D from a sewing shop....great auxillary contacts for switch machines.

3. Toilet paper soaked with thin white glue and painted green or tan makes great canvas.

4. Make up brushes from the dollar store...great for dusting small delicate things and also applying chalk weathering.

And the list can go on and on!!!:thumb:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Great responses, Thanks.
Pete

Just be careful o' them N scalers, some o' them'll snap at you if you don't throw 'em a bone or sumthin'
Shaygetz,
Handlay code 40 rail, as Nscale 3'gauge track..........you'll understand the snapping. :D :D :D

The geep was a white metal kit which I bought at a swap meet off a guy, the box said it was"Made in Italy" but thats all I can say.
Paul,
I sort of suspected that would be the case. I'll keep my eyes open, and eventually will find one. Thanks,
Pete