Where can I found War of the World's Tripod?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by seawolf, Jul 27, 2005.

1. seawolf

seawolf Member

hi all, any one know where I can found the paper model?
    thanks in advance.
  2. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

3. seawolf

seawolf Member

thanks you very much ShaunGamer. This will do (for the time being :) ) - coz, I'm aiming for the Speilberg's version of WotW. Again thank you for the link.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

howdy seawolf,

I havent seen the new movie, but I would settle for just a good clear picture of the ship lol. I looked for a photo and/or model a few weeks back to no avail, but rest assured, someone will come up with one sometime.

have a good day,

Greg (GW)

ARMORMAN Guest

I'll let you know how my negotiations progress with a certain movie studio (a certain director of renown stopped a paper model of the Tripod from being made for the site) ;)

In the meantime, here's one I'm working on (AFTER T-Bolt Mk III).

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Armorman,

Thats the one I am wanting, even more so than the new one. Cant wait to see you release it.

Greg (GW)

ARMORMAN Guest

I'm thinking of making it a complete diorama kit...
  8. seawolf

seawolf Member

Greg, hi (how are you btw :) ).
    yup, doin' the same thing I try to search for some pic, least something close to tech drawing of the 'new' tripod. Maybe if I can get some, I'll try to develop the paper model myself.

I think, I'll just wait for one to 'pop up' from the underground hehe :)

Armorman, I can't imagine why the paper model cannot be included in the site? (maybe some person do want to make the resin / plastic kit model out of it?) - and for the paper model you made, I can't wait for the release - thanks you all for the reply.

best regards

ARMORMAN Guest

What I was told was the director himself canned the paper model idea because he didn't want the tripod design to get out before the movie.

I am currently trying a different angle, now that the movie is out.
  10. seawolf

seawolf Member

yup, the movie's out - will wait for the paper model :)

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Well I dont know what the martian ship looked like in this new movie, but I am sure the one from the old movie....like the one above ^ will be the one people always associate with "War of the worlds". The tripod is cool and stuff, but that ship that armorman showed is something everyone recognizes.

have a good day,

12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I agree with GW. Keep going Armorman, we are behind you 100%. Go man go.
  13. seawolf

seawolf Member

fyi, I don't see any martian space ship in the new WoW, just the tripod (cool one though) :)

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy seawolf,

well now that you mention it, and although it has been yrs since I saw the original movie, I dont remember the tripod in the original lol just the triangle shaped spacecraft with the "boom and ray gun" stuck out of the top.

have a good evening,

ARMORMAN Guest

The "tripod" was 3 forcfield "legs" that held the machine up and propelled it forward in the 50's version.
  16. seawolf

seawolf Member

so the 'tripod' is an 'fake' legs? :)
    in the new WoW, the legs is quite real.

from the machine, the 3 legs jutted out all the way then each leg was separated into 3 fingerlike structure.
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

I believe the tripod model is based on the cover art of Jeff Wayne's
    1978 musical work "War of the Worlds". As you say the 1953 movie had "force field" legs. I've seen a 1906 illustration of a Martian tripod which had flexible legs rather like the 2005 movie.

18. seawolf

seawolf Member

the 2005 version seems to based on 1906 :).
    btw, I've once read about WoW. I don't really recall any martian space ship. Does the ship really exist? instead of the tripod?
  19. widget

widget Member

Kinda like in the(1st) movie, the book had "projectiles".A one way re-entry vehicle/delivery system. Cylinders basically.
  20. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I read the book a while back also and do not recall any Martian spaceship, just the cylinders. Also, wasn't the more terrifying weapon a black fog that killed everything that it engulfed? I kinda recall a red moss that started covering the places the Martians had overrun.

The Martian tripod model being discussed does seem to resemble the vehicles as described in the book, too, instead of the levitating vehicles in the 1953 movie.

What is kind of funny is the book takes place in Southeast England, the 1938 radio broadcast by Orson Welles takes place in New Jersey, the 1953 movie takes place in Southern California, and the 2005 movie takes place in New Jersey and places north and east of it. So when are they finally going to make it back to England? :)