Where can I find......

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Dnlgtr, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

Help I am some what new to PC's and Paper modeling. I have some models I can not open. where can I find FREE versions of software to open .pcx, .max and other unusual file formats.

I ask for free versions because I am Unemployed. And because I try Not to download a model if it is not pdf,gif,pnc,jpg format. I can open those without problems. I did read about .max format here in the SAAB post. But I did not see where to download max 2.5 or any other version. Just to get/use 2.5

I have some trians from Thortrains AllScale trains page that are pcx format. but again NO link to a pcx file reader. I searched and found sone taht were $$ then found a link to Adobe for a free limited version of PhotoShop CS. But that is almost 400 MG and on dial-up will take the better part of 2 days!!. Any halp will be greatly appreciated. Dan
  2. barry

barry Active Member

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

If you are talking about 3dmax files, there is a free program called "anim8or" that you can find at www.google.com that is a free download.
    However, 3dmax is a design type file, ie.... a file type used in computer aided drafting or "cad" type design programs. I use the free "anim8or" program to open this type file and then convert the file to another "standard" type file such as .jpg, .bmp, etc...etc.
    As for .pcx file types, I personally have never heard of them. But, I have found that alot of "photo editing" programs such as adobe photo deluxe will open most all of the other file types you mentioned. Unfortunately, adobe photo deluxe is no longer offered but you might try opening some of the other files you have trouble with, in a photo editing program which you may have on your computer.
    Most PC's have "imaging" software such as "Kodak imaging" already on the PC when it is sold, you might try opening some of these other files in that program if you have it.
    If you dont have a photo editing or imaging program on your computer, search www.google.com for "free photo editing software downloads", and while you are there, look up the "anim8or" program I mentioned above. Be sure to download the "manual" (in .pdf format) for this program also.
    Other programs you may be interested in are "metasequioa" and "pepakura viewer" and/or "pepakura designer", all of which can be found in google and are all fre downloads.
    If all else fails, you ,might ask someone here in the forum to change the files you have to another format that you can read. The guys here are more than willing to help when they can and all you have to do is ask. I would be more than happy to do whatever I can to help you out, be it, change file types for you (providing I can) or direct you to other programs that may read specific file types.
    As for the .pcx file types, you might try looking at the listings on this link: http://3d2f.com/pcgi/search.cgi?text=.pcx+reader&ll=1 specifically the number 2 listing which is:
    "2.PEERNET File Conversion Center 3.0.003 [​IMG] (peernet.com)to create JPEG (*.jpg), TIFF (*.tif), Windows Bitmap (*.bmp), ZSoft [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]PCX[/FONT][/FONT] (*.pcx), ZSoft DCX (*.dcx), Graphics Interchange Format (*.gif), and Portable [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]Network[/FONT][/FONT] Graphics (*.png) raster image files. You can also create non-searchable [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]Adobe [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]PDF[/FONT][/FONT] (*.pdf) files with full [FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Geneva,Helvetica,sans-serif]encryption[/FONT][/FONT] support. Free…Updated: Mar 30, 2006 | Rating: 327 | Author: PEERNET Support | Size: 10765 kb
    (just click the underlined words above to go directly to the link)

Now I personally have not used this program so I cant tell you anything about it, so you will be trying it "at your own risk".

Hope this helped, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

5. Felixdk

Felixdk New Member

6. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I was asking for the software to open the SAAB Hammerhead model. The file format is .max
    I read in the topic about the model and series that some members had troubles with versions other than 2.5
    I believe it is 3D Studios 3dmax

I have had Pepakura for some time.
    I downloaded Metasequioa when I found then Battlestar Galactica post.(Yes I downloaded those files too!!)Just can't print right now--NO INK!!
    I have Adobe 7. the photo software I have is Arcsoft. And yes I tryed ...and NO it would NOT open .pcx files (Just what was installed in PC when I got it).
    I did find a free version of Adobe Photoshop CS. But as I said at 400 MB it will take several hrs to download on dial-up.

Many Thanks

7. azraelcris

azraelcris New Member

have you tried to use Irfanview (freeware) to open and convert files to JPG or even BMP?

BTW, Adobe 7 stands for which software? Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker or Acrobat?
  8. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I just tryed Peernet. Not the way to go. It works BUT I get a NON-removable logo over the picture. Definitly No Good for a paper model (Peernet now Uninstalled)

Neomesh might be better. I think it will let me register for free.
    It will let me test for 7 days before registering.

Which is the Brand name Acrobat or Adobe??
    I have Adobe Reader 7 (pdf) with updates through 7.0.8 and it updates regularly.

azraelcris, Where can I get Irfanview ??

I thought I made it clear in my first post. I Prefer FREEWARE!! Even if some options.features are deleted in free versions

I am looking tn anim8or. Question. Can I use it on xp home??
    The first listing on google says it works in nt, 9x & 2000 but does Not list xp..

Ok. Found Newest Version v9 does support xp Downloaded Plus users Manual. That will be Very neccessary for me!!

Many Thanks
  9. azraelcris

azraelcris New Member

Got you about Reader 7.0.

You can get IrfanView here: http://www.irfanview.com/

Although i prefer ACDSee much more, as you requested for a freeware version, this will help you a lot. Just open the PCX and convert to JPG.

Have fun!
  10. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I now have a good pcx conversion program. I don't know If I already had it or if Dogwaffle gave it to me. I can now open pcx files in ArcSoft Photo Suite and convert to jpg , bmp, etc. Many thanks for the help.

I think I need to find a class where I can learn to use all of these modeling/photo editing programs.

Maybe then I can try to use some of my plastic model scratchbuilding skills to creare paper models of 'Squad 51' and some other Fire apparatus.

I just opened the Anim8or Manual, 100 Pages in pdf!!!!! That is going to take days to reads! And Months to learn!!!! WOW!!