Where are the Japanese?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Mark Crowel, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

I have barely scratched the surface of exploring the innumerable threads of the many cardmodeling forums here on Zealot, but I have yet to see posts or threads from anyone who is Japanese.

Japan is noted for extensive and expert paper artwork, as well as skill in traditional papermaking. Japanese cardmodelers would be able to contribute much to our cumulative knowledge. I had hoped to see many contributions from them.

Cardmodelers of Japan, we hope to learn much from you. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Good question. I think there may be one member from Japan that I'm aware of. I know from having lived in Japan that the average Japanese doesn't speak English well, but they often do read and write passable English. I guess they must have their own forums they prefer. But like you, I would welcome more Japanese participation.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

There's... um... what was his name... yes YuG, who is a very capable Japanese modeler. Also uhu who, as a designer, posts his new designs here. But yea, I'm not seeing any other Japanese here either... Even yuG hasn't appeared very much recently either.

I think the reason can be found by logging onto the Pepakura site... Most stuff there is anime or mecha related (implying that's what the Japanese usually build, in contrast to detailed European military models), which few can be found here (Yes, pretty sadly... Dammit!:D)... The Japanese might have their own integrated society of cardmodeling, and I think few of them actually steps out of their circle into the West. (At least I know Chinese modelers are like that... ;)) So there's nothing much we can do really, except possibly to learn some japanese and advertise this forum over the other side of Pacific :D

--Just some of my thoughts... no offence intendedsign1
  4. MaxMadDog

MaxMadDog New Member

The Japanese remain resembling gladly and rather under their. They love it anime and their Traditonen. With European and American things they do not have much at the hat. I browsed long time in Japanese and Korean forums. There is really true masters of their art. But which we do not prefer are their style. Therefore we see here Asians too little.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Perhaps it may have something to do with the fact THAT it's so popular and coupled with the language barrier. You would more than likely gravitate to forums where your language is recognized.

What would be better. Being a 'rural oriented' guy and going to a Cowboy Bar in Montana or going to a 'Cowboy Bar' in India? You know there has to be one somewhere in India, lol.

So my take is ... Japanese people want to speak japanese and paper model. I guess we happen to have a few members from Japan who are very comfortable with an english forum and showing us all up. ;)
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Gonna stick my neck out here. Isn't smsuki Japanese ... and edi? If not I offer my apologies in advance as no insult is intended and I am the one to lose face.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Well, edi says he's from Germany in his profile... I'm not sure about smsuski though, he might be Japanese...