"When We Left Earth"

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by WeeVikes, Jun 9, 2008.

1. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

For those of you who have access to the Discovery Channel, I was curious if anyone watched the documentary "When We Left Earth" last night (Sunday, 8 Jun) and what you thought of it.

I have to admit, I was only able to watch bits and pieces of it live, however, I DVR'd it, and started on it this morning, and what I've seen so far, I've thoroughly enjoyed. So much video I've never seen before... And they managed to persuade Neil Armstrong to participate, which is no small feat! I just wish I had an HD TV to get the full effect.

I'm very much looking forward to next week's episode focusing on the Apollo program.

Given the ads they did for the DVD set, let me just say, I know what I want for my birthday this year!

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I thought it was pretty good. They had some very good footage of the launches and missions. They totally stayed away from the blame game when it came to Gus Grissom. They just said "he felt terrible about losing his ship" and left it at that.
  3. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I haven't watched yet, but I did record it (in HD!). I have hi expectations and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

On a seperate note, the only thing I've ever seen that attempted to assign blame on Grissom was the otherwise good "The Right Stuff". It seems it was for dramatic effect; just like the inferred blame towards Swigert in, again, the otherwise good "Apollo 13".
  4. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

If you liked When We Left Earth, you can always swing by and listen to my podcast CONVERSATIONS WITH APOLLO on iTunes. It'll get you through until the next chapter of the series.
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

When will When We Left Earth be on again? I didn't know it was a series.
  6. Patty

Patty King of Swaziland

This isnt realated to cardmodeling at all, so lets make it relevant. I believe that several rockets in the series are indeed available in card models, which is nice, assemble while you watch. Good referance materials too.
  7. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

If you ever have the chance to visit the Cosmosphere Museum in Hutchinson Kansas, do so. Liberty Bell and the real Apollo 13 spacecraft are on display there.
    Liberty Bell does go on tour so check before you go to see if its there. Seeing the actual spacecraft, and imagining Gus climbing out of that tiny hatch was almost unreal.
    Their other exhibits are worth the trip also, they even have an SR-71 hanging from the ceiling, and a great LEM mockup.
    Hutchinson is northwest of Wichita Kansas. Go see it ! :thumb:
  8. lairdre

lairdre Member

When wel left ...

There are 6 episodes in this series. Parts one and two were on Sunday night. It will be on the next two Sundays also.

It was repeated at midnight.
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I think they did a great job. Lots of memories there. I was intensely interested in the space program (still am) and was one of those who looked up at the moon Every Night while "we" were there and the Ruskies weren't!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I agree with everything that has been said and yeah, it's on Sunday nights for the next few weeks.. I'll be watching.... sign1 How many errors can happen if you're modeling while you're watching an interesting series like this. :)
    I'm looking forward to see how they cover Apollo 1 - White, Grissom and Chaffee's deaths and also how the Shuttle footage and Hubbell Telescope look in HD :D :D

Here is an outline of the series:
    'When We Left Earth' is spectacular - Space.com - MSNBC.com

And yup - It was a pleasant surprise to see Neil Armstrong interviewed. Glad he decided to participate!!!

Only "historical" space movie I haven't seen yet is Magnificent Desolation. It's on my to-do list... :)
  10. logicman

logicman Greybeard

A series like this usually comes out on DVD. I look forward to it.
    With DVD you can do frame captures of the craft at different angles - perfect reference material for models.

My favorite Neil Armstrong quote:

"The pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
    The optimist sees the glass as half full.
    The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be."

So, any astronauts out there suffering from claustrophobia -
    you know who to blame! :mrgreen:

11. exzealot

exzealot Member

I was looking forward to watching this for about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, thunderstorms and tornados ripped through the Detroit area Sunday afternoon and I MISSED IT! The good news is that I am an Apollo fan, and that is scheduled for next Sunday.

12. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Great footage...especially of the gemini rendezvous. And it's great to finally see Neil talking about those days.
  13. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

DVD Region

I'd like to buy the DVD set of "When we left the Earth" series, but on Discovery Channel Store I didn't find which Region are they (I imagine Region 1 ). I have to use the Region 2 (Europe) or 0 (no Region) DVDs.

Know someone wich region they are? Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance, Nando
  14. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I hope they are region free.

Can anyone in the US help with this query?

Also, any info about European distributors would be great.

Their site is a bit hiccupy at the moment, so it's hard to get the info online.
    From my experience, email is not an efficient way to get info.

Here's their phone number from their web-site.

Thanks, people.